R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #12976
Tech Apprentice

Hello

I will try to compete in TC class at a new carpet track opening in New Rochelle, NY

here is my last setup sheet when I raced my Type-R last time on carpet.

lets try to bring this machine back to the podium!
Attached Thumbnails
Team Losi JRXS Type-R-20100125_2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2010 03 07 RCM Losi sedan set up_2.pdf (414.5 KB, 143 views)
J Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #12977
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I managed to make my car go around the track very well on foam, but for some reason it doesn't much like rubber tire. Feels like driving on ice.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #12978
Tech Rookie

Default JRXS-R drives erratically

Well I got my JR back on the road today but when I give it too much throttle it spins in circles. If I go easy on the throttle it does fine. I just put a brand new set of HPI Vintage tires on it but it still wants to go drifting. I have a Castle Sidewinder Sport 4600KV 36T pinion with stock spur gear. I would like it to go straight so what do I need to check ? Differentials maybe ? Thanks
steve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #12979
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1 View Post
Well I got my JR back on the road today but when I give it too much throttle it spins in circles. If I go easy on the throttle it does fine. I just put a brand new set of HPI Vintage tires on it but it still wants to go drifting. I have a Castle Sidewinder Sport 4600KV 36T pinion with stock spur gear. I would like it to go straight so what do I need to check ? Differentials maybe ? Thanks
yes, start with your differentials.
Facebook: CARCAR
MaxRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #12980
Tech Rookie

What do I look for ???
Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #12981
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys!

I'm primarily an offroad racer but I have a nice used Type R I'm setting up for this weekend on carpet. Track is medium sized with medium traction. Any tips on setup, gearing (17.5 no timing with jaco blues), or what parts i should buy for spare? I'm gonna try to get the Xcelorin 3800 in the car by dremeling the steel tray today. Thanks for any help !
Old 09-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #12982
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Lawrence View Post
Hey guys!

I'm primarily an offroad racer but I have a nice used Type R I'm setting up for this weekend on carpet. Track is medium sized with medium traction. Any tips on setup, gearing (17.5 no timing with jaco blues), or what parts i should buy for spare? I'm gonna try to get the Xcelorin 3800 in the car by dremeling the steel tray today. Thanks for any help !
You need a front spool, which for a JRXS your local hobby shop is as likely to have as a Faberge Egg or the Ark of the Covenant, so take apart the front diff, pull the balls out of the front pulley, blast it out with degreaser, find a piece of robust cardboard (I used a business card) and cut it out so it fits in the front pulley landing. Clean and roughen the rings, and then reassemble and tighten it down until it slips just a little bit when you torque it with your hands, you want it to slip before it breaks anything.

Check it after your first run, and if its still good this should calm the car down a lot, it fixed my cars tendency to have the back come around at high-speed turn-in.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #12983
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey guys!

Well first some questions, what's in the car?? do you have a spool up front or a diff? the spools were slipper spools and can easily be stripped, so you might only have 3 wheel drive. If it's a diff, chances are you're overpowering it as well, and need to get the spool setup.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #12984
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's diff front and rear. Is the spool discontinued? Or just hard to find?

Is there a way to get a gear diff in? What is the advantage of the spool?

THanks guys!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #12985
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:

THanks guys!
No gear diffs due to the wide diff layout they used on the car. The spool is just a different pulley, the part # in the back of the manual. Spool locks the front wheels together for better acceleration. Also replace the hub that the diff screws into, they strip.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #12986
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:

THanks guys!
Front One-Way, Rear Ball Diff.

stiff rear springs

LTC-R body

Buy as many front C hubs and steering blocks as you can afford, 4deg I think.

Car works better with the steel tray for battery even though it will be quite over the weight limit. CG is very high otherwise.

- RC Gears for Android - Find it in the Android Market
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #12987
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

I wonder how this compares to a TC5 in stock class. i like my tc5 but i wouldn't mind picking up another car to play with that's a little bit different.
the layout of this one looks pretty ideal.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:20 AM   #12988
Tech Apprentice

Default Loose exiting corners

well after reading I can't wait to get home and see if I have the pulleys set for overdrive and to try to lock my front diff and see if it cures my problems my car is on rails except for corner exit if I get on it too fast it will loop out, I have been running oval and this car is amazing..love it

On another note I bought and additional jrx-s for parts but after receiving this car I can't tear it apart it looks brand new under the dust if anyone needs a really nice car I may sell this one the gloss is not even scuffed on chassis yet lol

AND OUR WORST PROBLEM BATTERIES HEREIS WHAT I AM RUNNING WITH ONLY MINOR TRIMMING OF BATTERY LID AND LIGHT PULLEY SANDING

VENOM 5000 2s 50c battery fit great after removing to raised areas on front of lipo tray really woke the car up amd it's heavy I can post part number if anyone needs it I found a online shop who has a great price on them moorehobbies.com

Thunderpower 5300 65c pro race fits good battery leads a little tight against my upper deck but I may try some other options with routing
calvord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #12989
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

PARMA bumper. First thing you should make sure you have. It will save your hubs and arms up front. I've gotten to be good enough to keep the car off the wall most of the time, but still like to turn in early once in a while. This bumper has saved my front end more times than I care to count.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #12990
Tech Rookie

Default Venom batt. #

[B]Calvord[/B ] What's the # on that Venom battery ?