R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #12961
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9
Default steel battery tray

Hi I was wondering if anyone has purchased the steel Lipo batt tray from Losi? It's supposed to allow the use of more common Lipo batt. I wonder if it's thicker and maybe has longer screws. I would love to be able to install a better batt selection. Thanks
steve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #12962
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB CANADA
Posts: 833
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

In my experience it would be very hard (impossible) to not be grossly overweight using the metal lipo tray. When weight limits were higher for Touring the metal tray worked well to get the car up to weight. With the newer lower weight limits you'd pretty much have to use the plastic lipo tray. Now if you're talking VTA, with very high weight limits, the metal tray would be just the ticket!

Cheers,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1 View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone has purchased the steel Lipo batt tray from Losi? It's supposed to allow the use of more common Lipo batt. I wonder if it's thicker and maybe has longer screws. I would love to be able to install a better batt selection. Thanks
__________________
Mike
Hyper_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #12963
Tech Elite
 
squarehead's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 4,210
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1 View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone has purchased the steel Lipo batt tray from Losi? It's supposed to allow the use of more common Lipo batt. I wonder if it's thicker and maybe has longer screws. I would love to be able to install a better batt selection. Thanks
The dimensions are virtually identical to the plastic lipo tray, it's just heavier to put weight in the car as low as possible. Has nothing to do with lipo battery fit issues in the JRXS-R (the issues are all between the top pulley spacing in the rear).

It's an absolute MUST in a VTA car. Would be tremendously difficult to neatly get to the weight minimum without it. My car took 125-odd grams of weight to get to 1550g for VTA. 1420g minimum in rubber tire classes, so without really trying (and with the steel lipo tray, stainless screws, VTA tires & wheels, Protoform VTA body), my car started out at 1425g. It would definitely NOT be impossible to get it underweight with the 2010 rules.

dc
__________________
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #12964
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
It is cheaper to rehash cars you already have instead of buying new ones, new doesn't necessarily mean faster.
Agreed, newer is not faster. I'm a huge advocate of running other peoples "used up" equipment. I have 3 perfectly fast and durable TC3s for VTA. I was just trying to say that if someone wanted/needed a new chassis, this one would be a great platform. Losi never even attempted to tweak the design during its production run. I'm still a little aggravated about Losi's choice to discontinue this car, but because the motivation is sales based and not results based production stopped. I'm sure they had their reasons.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #12965
Tech Elite
 
DesertRat's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sniffin the 'Sauce Fumes
Posts: 2,377
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Agreed, newer is not faster. I'm a huge advocate of running other peoples "used up" equipment. I have 3 perfectly fast and durable TC3s for VTA. I was just trying to say that if someone wanted/needed a new chassis, this one would be a great platform. Losi never even attempted to tweak the design during its production run. I'm still a little aggravated about Losi's choice to discontinue this car, but because the motivation is sales based and not results based production stopped. I'm sure they had their reasons.
I agree, after all Losi is in the business of making money and staying in business. I wonder if and when they are going to make another touring car, might not as Associated, Xray, Tamiya, and the rest seem to have the market curbed.
__________________
I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
If everything is under control... go faster.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #12966
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9
Default

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll stay with the stock plastic. So hard to find a Lipo that fits without it rubbing on the pulleys. Thanks again
steve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #12967
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 148
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default gear adaptor

I think this may be the ticket for all those without flyingfox layshaft or u can modify the pulley(make the screw go deeper) and use shorter screw. http://www.precisionracingsystems.co...S-Adapter.html.
What do you guys think using a crc 4200 shorty lipo and move the esc behind the battery? like a pan car! think about running my new type r with shorty lipo and mini servo and give up my tcx.
cup racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #12968
Tech Adept
 
d-bo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Easton
Posts: 124
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to d-bo
Default

Well guys i picked up a jrx-s type r for cheap and i love the way the thing looks and cant wait to get it out and race it.tho since its the end of the outdoor season ill have to run it indoor on carpet with rubber tires in the 17.5 blinky class. My question is whats a good starting set up for this car for carpet and rubber tires? the tires will be top solaris med and any info on the gearing would be great to thanks for your help.
d-bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #12969
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 182
Default

Can anyone tell me what tray I can use so that I can run a Losi lipo - the standard plastic lipo one is too narrow, or do people dremel/hack it to fit?

Anyone tried a short pack? Or does that make the car too much underweight?
__________________
Team Losi XXX-CR | XXXT-CR | JRXS-R | JRXS | XX-CR | XXT | XXT-CR G+ | Mini-8ight | TLR22 | TLR 22T
J A M I N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #12970
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J A M I N View Post
Can anyone tell me what tray I can use so that I can run a Losi lipo - the standard plastic lipo one is too narrow, or do people dremel/hack it to fit?

Anyone tried a short pack? Or does that make the car too much underweight?

The battery tray is too narrow? The Losi lipo should be a direct fit. I've had problems with batteries taller than 23mm not clearing the rear bulkhead. What is the width of the battery you're talking about?
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #12971
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
The battery tray is too narrow? The Losi lipo should be a direct fit. I've had problems with batteries taller than 23mm not clearing the rear bulkhead. What is the width of the battery you're talking about?
It seems the Losi 3800 Lipo is 46.9mm wide, the 6000 Lipo is 46.5mm.

The 3800 does not sit flush because of the raised edges of the tray, its not that far out, but enough to warp the tray if you force it in.

The 6000 is 25mm tall, so I guess that will foul elsewhere...?
__________________
Team Losi XXX-CR | XXXT-CR | JRXS-R | JRXS | XX-CR | XXT | XXT-CR G+ | Mini-8ight | TLR22 | TLR 22T
J A M I N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #12972
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup racer View Post
I think this may be the ticket for all those without flyingfox layshaft or u can modify the pulley(make the screw go deeper) and use shorter screw. http://www.precisionracingsystems.co...S-Adapter.html.
What do you guys think using a crc 4200 shorty lipo and move the esc behind the battery? like a pan car! think about running my new type r with shorty lipo and mini servo and give up my tcx.
The PRS spur adapter is a nice piece as are the layshafts. The layshaft helps accommodate larger batteries without rubbing. The spur adapter allow use of non-losi spurs only. Like you said, there is a tip for shaving the back of the pulley in the thread somewhere. I don't think you'd be able to mount the electronics unless you added some kind of shelf for them. If you race where the battery must come out and in a sack to charge, the tray needs to be able to be removed. I just ordered a Speedtech 3800 shorty for the same reason. I'm thinking more along the lines of adjustable weight distribution though.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #12973
Tech Regular
 
drsmooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 498
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

These are the batteries I use. Fit the tray with a little room to spare. I have four of these mounted to four of the plastic trays. Four screws out, four screws in. Battery change done. They also perform great too. My win to loss ratio for this summer is around 80%win to 20% losses. No to shabby!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
__________________
Till next time.......
KEEP ON RACING!
drsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #12974
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmooth View Post
These are the batteries I use. Fit the tray with a little room to spare. I have four of these mounted to four of the plastic trays. Four screws out, four screws in. Battery change done. They also perform great too. My win to loss ratio for this summer is around 80%win to 20% losses. No to shabby!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
NICE, those packs are an excellent fit and for high turn motors, absolutely what the doctor ordered. Good find!
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:53 AM   #12975
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 182
Default

It seems that the Losi batteries are are little wider..quite ironic that Losi batteries dont fit the the Losi car...
__________________
Team Losi XXX-CR | XXXT-CR | JRXS-R | JRXS | XX-CR | XXT | XXT-CR G+ | Mini-8ight | TLR22 | TLR 22T
J A M I N is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FS] Team Losi JRXS-Type R squarehead R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 07-21-2012 12:59 AM
Team Losi JRXS Type R gtxpro2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 09-11-2008 08:45 PM
WTB: Team Losi JRXS Type R shifter R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 07-03-2008 03:30 PM
Team Losi JRXS TYPE-R John Q R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 10-03-2007 06:55 PM
Team Losi JRXS Type R New In Box Canyon R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 06-20-2007 04:50 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:26 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0