R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #12586
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I had a locating pin/droop screw split open on me the other day, the screw just cracked down the side. Thought it was very odd.

I think I may just try the button head but Im afraid it will gouge up the chassis.

I had even pre tapped the arm and I wasnt cranking on the screw hard, it actually popped open with very little force.

Otherwise the JRX-S type R was a great build, parts are very high quality and the car just falls together.

Does any one has any links to a touring car setup guide? I havent run touring car in ages and I cant remember what adjust when.
I know for 1/8th buggy there are a whole bunch of videos on youtube from Horizon Hobby with Adam Drake on setting ride height droop etc. I know the offroad videos basically transfer to TC but was hoping for some TC specific tips.

Also, was at the LHS yesterday looking at some batteries. I already have a pair of Trakpower 3600's which fit the Losi perfectly. They had the Checkpoint 3600's (which are the same as the Trakpowers) on sale and had one in my hand. One of the sales guys really wanted me to try the Orion rocket pack 4000, shaped like an old stick pack. I figured because of the shape it might fit the C Cell bottom plate. Well it didnt, so back to the shop today to trade for the Checkpoint.
Please note that this is the older style Checkpoint battery, with red hardcase, not sure if their new stuff will fit.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #12587
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtafocus View Post
I had a locating pin/droop screw split open on me the other day, the screw just cracked down the side. Thought it was very odd.

I think I may just try the button head but Im afraid it will gouge up the chassis.

I had even pre tapped the arm and I wasnt cranking on the screw hard, it actually popped open with very little force.

Otherwise the JRX-S type R was a great build, parts are very high quality and the car just falls together.

Does any one has any links to a touring car setup guide? I havent run touring car in ages and I cant remember what adjust when.
I know for 1/8th buggy there are a whole bunch of videos on youtube from Horizon Hobby with Adam Drake on setting ride height droop etc. I know the offroad videos basically transfer to TC but was hoping for some TC specific tips.

Also, was at the LHS yesterday looking at some batteries. I already have a pair of Trakpower 3600's which fit the Losi perfectly. They had the Checkpoint 3600's (which are the same as the Trakpowers) on sale and had one in my hand. One of the sales guys really wanted me to try the Orion rocket pack 4000, shaped like an old stick pack. I figured because of the shape it might fit the C Cell bottom plate. Well it didnt, so back to the shop today to trade for the Checkpoint.
Please note that this is the older style Checkpoint battery, with red hardcase, not sure if their new stuff will fit.
There is a series of videos pertaining to electric onroad that Jilles Groskamp of Tamiya did in conjunction with RedRC. They should be up on RedRC's Youtube channel.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:07 AM   #12588
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kwiksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok View Post

First, dab some oil/light grease at the rim of the pulley. Then, use silicone gasket sealant (I used the red one), smear it along the drive cup and make sure it makes contact with the aforementioned rim. Once the silicone is cured, you'll have a 99% sealed diff.

The purpose of the oil is not to let the sealant adhere to the pulley.
Hmm...pics?
kwiksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #12589
Tech Adept

I agree, locating pins are real pain if you try to use them to adjust the droop. I use metric M3x8mm grubscrews instead without any problems.

Outtafocus, I recommend reading the setup guide at the end of the manual, very useful hands-on JRX-S Type-R tips.
Gergely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:18 AM   #12590
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can I get some recommendations for gearing this car for a 21.5 with no timing? Due to battery wire routing issues, I need to keep the motor as far back as possible.

I'm not looking for the perfect setup, just a good place to start.

Thanks
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #12591
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Outtafocus

Download the X-Ray T3 manual, it is a fantastic resource for setups, I read it all the time as I am new to TC as well. www.petitrc.com is a good source for JRX-S R setups. You can also get the editable pdf setup sheet file there as well.
+1 on Jilles Groskamp videos even though it's a bit specific to Tamiya chassis their is lots of great tips especially on diff building.

Woodys3b

What problems with wiring are you having??
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:52 AM   #12592
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiksi View Post
Hmm...pics?
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #12593
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieMan View Post

Woodys3b

What problems with wiring are you having??
It's not really a problem. I'm using a stick pack type lipo. The battery wires exit the pack at the end of it like on the old NiMH packs. I have to route these wires between the motor and the layshaft so moving the motor forward too much will pinch the wires. I just have to run bigger gears so that my motor is closer to the back of it's adjustment window rather than towards the front.
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #12594
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini696 View Post
The LIPO I will be using is this one.
http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=2506

But I haven't test fitted it yet.
Have you tried this out yet??
did this fit?
I'm shopping for a new battery.
I narrowed the pulleys to get the last pack to fit..

I'm reading through the thread pages from newest to oldest to see what people are using for lipos now. If not this one what else fits well (I have pulley mod)?

Cheers,
Mark
markf3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #12595
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Hey Mark i still have my car,i am using Thunder power 5200 fits just fine.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #12596
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve eaves View Post
Hey Mark i still have my car,i am using Thunder power 5200 fits just fine.
Thanks Steve.

Was at Mike's for half the day today tweaking on the sedan.
If there's a stock class, I'll be racing through the winter.

I'll hunt down a TP 5200.. My batteries are a couple of years old.
markf3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #12597
Tech Regular

For those who are curious about FFlayshaft, the order I placed arrived.. Me a happy camper now. Thanks Paul.
Facebook: CARCAR
MaxRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #12598
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Flying Fox must have shipped both of our layshafts at the same time, both were coming to Calgary. Mine also arrived today, and of course I have already installed it.

Thanks for the setup tips guys.
I watched all of the Redrc Jilles Groskamp videos. Sure its a Tamiya car, but I really like watching a pro wrench on his car. You get to see the little tricks they do that the average guy wouldnt think about.
If you guys havent watched the Richard Saxton how to build an RC8T dvd I highly recommend it. Interesting video.

I only have to paint up my body and Im ready for some racing on Friday night.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #12599
Tech Adept

I'm running the xcelorin 7.4 5000 lipo's in mine and they fit really good.
Just the slightest scuff mark on one the side of the battery.So on my other packs gave them a quick rub with sand paper and good to go.Barely take off anything it's like a paper thickness.
Dado
wiggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #12600
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Losi Xcelorin lipos are basically Thunder Power packs so it's not suprising that they fit. They also could be found cheaper than TP packs too. Excellent lipos.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote