But I haven't test fitted it yet.
mini696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:21 AM   #12542
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini696 View Post
I have as issue with the front shafts.

When the steering is turned, the wheels are almost impossible to rotate. The CV's are VERY tight. Is this normal?
No, that's a sign your shrink wrap is touching the c-hub. Clearance the c-hub just a mm or two and cut the shrink wrap down to the edge of the barrel. This car has good LCDs, and will rotate freely when assembled correctly. Hope that helps!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:45 AM   #12543
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

it depends, I got my kit where I had to use the hex pins, thus causing massive binding.
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #12544
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok View Post
thanks man.

I was wondering about taking it apart for cleaning. Does the lexan come off everytime? No drama? What about the slots in the plastic outdrive?

I tried to use heat shrink and in the end my diff became so tight it's dysfuntional.
So far I have just done a 5 minute test ripping around my basement on my private carpet track and the covers have stayed in place. They are not glued or anything, just cut to a diameter slightly smaller than the hub and tube so they are on their nice and tight. As for the outdrives well, one side is sealed by the thrust bearing blue foam thing, the other side is sealed by the thrust screw so that's nothing to worry about. Today I will be doing some outdoor testing to see how well they work.
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #12545
Tech Fanatic

My LCD's binded like crazy too, and it was NOT the shrink wrap touching the C-Hub it was the slots in the dogbone being slightly to small for the pin. It's a pain but once they 'break' in they work great. I did a few packs just doing circles and pushing the pins back in as they worked their way out. It's time consuming and a complete pain. I have been using regular shrink tubing to hold the pins in place with great results. I posted a few pages back about how I did it.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #12546
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieMan View Post
So far I have just done a 5 minute test ripping around my basement on my private carpet track and the covers have stayed in place. They are not glued or anything, just cut to a diameter slightly smaller than the hub and tube so they are on their nice and tight. As for the outdrives well, one side is sealed by the thrust bearing blue foam thing, the other side is sealed by the thrust screw so that's nothing to worry about. Today I will be doing some outdoor testing to see how well they work.
wait, u mean the diff tube right? No they're sealed as it is, never worried about that.

The outdrives themselves suck up dirt like a vacuum cleaner, and dirt gets to the balls through the slots. I saw a pic someone used heat shrink to cover it up, i tried it, in the end it was binding the diff action. I'll probably thin it down....maybe tomorrow
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #12547
Tech Fanatic

Sorry my bad
Didn't realize the diff hub slots went past the pulley, d-oh!!
That is going to be difficult to seal up. Well there's a project for a lazy sunday
Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #12548
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default kit discontinued

Is Losi/Horizon giving up touring car market? This is their flagship car and it's now discontinued. I guess Losi has a good run of touring class started with street weapon back in '96 or '97.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #12549
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kwiksi

So what spur/pinion range will I need for no boost 17.5 indoor rubber tire? Wondering what the wmallest spur will fit on Type R. I here guys are running in the 4.0 FDR range.
kwiksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #12550
Tech Adept

... or even longer! You will definiately need the FlyingFox Layshaft to be able to use such FDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiksi View Post
So what spur/pinion range will I need for no boost 17.5 indoor rubber tire? Wondering what the wmallest spur will fit on Type R. I here guys are running in the 4.0 FDR range.
Gergely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #12551
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieMan View Post
My LCD's binded like crazy too, and it was NOT the shrink wrap touching the C-Hub it was the slots in the dogbone being slightly to small for the pin. It's a pain but once they 'break' in they work great. I did a few packs just doing circles and pushing the pins back in as they worked their way out. It's time consuming and a complete pain. I have been using regular shrink tubing to hold the pins in place with great results. I posted a few pages back about how I did it.
You sure it wasn't bent pins?
Old 11-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #12552
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiksi View Post
I run the Flying Fox layshaft and typically used Xray spurs. I have a 108T the brand of which I'm not sure (maybe PRS?) and a 112T Xray spur that together with pinions in the high 40's or low 50's that allow me to get up to the 4.0-4.5 that I typically use for unboosted stock 17.5 racing.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #12553
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
You sure it wasn't bent pins?
Yeah I'm sure
They were binding from first build. Pins fit in the coupling fine but would stick a bit in the dogbone slot. Seems to be a common problem with a few of the guys on this thread as their has been lots of posting of late about this problem.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #12554
Tech Adept

http://www.thard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=352

Chapter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
No, that's a sign your shrink wrap is touching the c-hub. Clearance the c-hub just a mm or two and cut the shrink wrap down to the edge of the barrel. This car has good LCDs, and will rotate freely when assembled correctly. Hope that helps!
Gergely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #12555
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the link

The binding a couple of us are experiencing is not due to the shrink wrap and C-Hub, and it's not from bent pins either.

The pins do NOT fit into the dogbone slot without binding. Every time someone mentions this fact someone else says that it's the shrink tube binding on the c-hub but that is not the case. IMO the wrong pins have been supplied with some kits, instead of the 1/16" x 5/16" LCD pins the .067"x5/16" pins (Axel pins) have been supplied. They 'fit' the LCD but cause binding until the dogbone slot wears down slightly. I rebuilt my LCD's five times trying to figure this out and checked all the pins to see if I got them mixed up somehow and found that the axel pins and LCD pins were identical and all caused binding in the dogbone.