R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #12016
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti View Post
Im going to re-activate mine.

Support or not. Its a dialed car and i shouldnt be looking at anything but Type-R to run this year.

I think i have made my decision.

SO= questions to ask. What is new? The last time my car was run was at the 2007 Nats. What do I need to do to run rubber? Lipo? LMAO- i think there is still a GTX and 4200 pack in it.

Looking quite forward to being a part of this community again.

KB
Well you need to sort out what packs you are using as not all lipo's fit in nicely. You will want to get your hands on a FlyingFoxRC layshaft and the new V2 spool when it comes out. The layshaft solves the lipo rubbing on the layshaft pullies and also allows you far more options about what spurs you can run. Also consider that with brushless/lipo the chassis is rear heavy so consider the placement of your electronics and weight to get it 50/50. Most of us run our receiver and ESC right up the front of the lower deck (furthest forward on the "wings").

There are a few very competitive guys running the chassis with this gear so setup advice should be easy to come by.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #12017
TLRacing

Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #12018
Tech Fanatic

HE'S BBBAAACCCKKK!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #12019
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
Well you need to sort out what packs you are using as not all lipo's fit in nicely. You will want to get your hands on a FlyingFoxRC layshaft and the new V2 spool when it comes out. The layshaft solves the lipo rubbing on the layshaft pullies and also allows you far more options about what spurs you can run. Also consider that with brushless/lipo the chassis is rear heavy so consider the placement of your electronics and weight to get it 50/50. Most of us run our receiver and ESC right up the front of the lower deck (furthest forward on the "wings").

There are a few very competitive guys running the chassis with this gear so setup advice should be easy to come by.
Anyone nice enough to post some current pics of the electronics layout. I would love to have some really good ideas on where to put what and where some of you guys are putting weights if any.
js058515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 AM   #12020
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hodge View Post

OMG!

This is a sign that things can only get better....I hope.

Did the TC6 lure you guys out of hiding?
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #12021
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post

Well- I have the SMC brick.. I think its a 5200 if memory serves. I will likely get a new pack for the big races. See- I ran touring last fall for about 2 months and then went to off road, as we had an off road track open in town. So i have updated equipment. But i keep having these dreams about the "good old days"-- and im taking it as a sign of good things to come. Its time to come out of the corner.

I want to do the indoor champs and the classic at the very least- assuming that they still run these races (hhahaahaha).. and then I think im doing the CRCRC offroad race again as I have the last 2 years.

ESC= i was running SPX last year. Hope its still relevant

I am getting all types of amped up just thinking about this. NOW all i have to do is take it out of hibernation Maybe this weekend ill get it dusted off and a rubber setup on it. I think we are going to cleveland- ahhemm.. but for the zoo, not the gate. and tonight and tomorrow are my last two Diff Eq classes.. and then im semi free for a few weeks

wholey crap butterflies in the stomach..

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hodge View Post

Mmmhmmmmm

Last edited by Keith Billanti; 08-04-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Keith Billanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #12022
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsanwa View Post
thanks for your reply~!
what is the purpose of "Mcmaster thrust bearing and a bag of shims" ??
The shims (you should buy teflon shims, I plan to carry them on my store soon) are to shim out the play in the arms and knuckles.

#4 washers are to add small amounts of roll center rather than the large amounts afforded by the roll center blocks.

Mcmaster thrust bearings are some of the absolute toughest bearings on the market period. I've run one in my sons car (to prove a point) for an entire 12 month period without clean or regreasing one time (and i mean not even once!) he ran 13.5 and 17.5 in the winter and 13.5 in the summer.

I recently took the diff apart it was nasty i should have taken pictures, the rings had a noticeable groove in it and you could see flat spots on the diff balls with the naked eye. Took the thrust bearing out, cleaned it used black grease and rebuilt the diff with new rings and balls and he runs the same thrust and a 10.5 at the blue diamond now. Smooth as glass .

Larry Fairtrace and Ron Goetter turned me onto these thrust bearings and I think I owe them big time for the info.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:40 AM   #12023
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
The shims (you should buy teflon shims, I plan to carry them on my store soon) are to shim out the play in the arms and knuckles.

#4 washers are to add small amounts of roll center rather than the large amounts afforded by the roll center blocks.

Mcmaster thrust bearings are some of the absolute toughest bearings on the market period. I've run one in my sons car (to prove a point) for an entire 12 month period without clean or regreasing one time (and i mean not even once!) he ran 13.5 and 17.5 in the winter and 13.5 in the summer.

I recently took the diff apart it was nasty i should have taken pictures, the rings had a noticeable groove in it and you could see flat spots on the diff balls with the naked eye. Took the thrust bearing out, cleaned it used black grease and rebuilt the diff with new rings and balls and he runs the same thrust and a 10.5 at the blue diamond now. Smooth as glass .

Larry Fairtrace and Ron Goetter turned me onto these thrust bearings and I think I owe them big time for the info.
We will wait for something new in the next Losi's future, cross fingers guys.

(Hope somethings new for 4wd off road as well)

regards
lynx75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #12024
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti View Post
Well- I have the SMC brick.. I think its a 5200 if memory serves. I will likely get a new pack for the big races. See- I ran touring last fall for about 2 months and then went to off road, as we had an off road track open in town. So i have updated equipment. But i keep having these dreams about the "good old days"-- and im taking it as a sign of good things to come. Its time to come out of the corner.

I want to do the indoor champs and the classic at the very least- assuming that they still run these races (hhahaahaha).. and then I think im doing the CRCRC offroad race again as I have the last 2 years.

ESC= i was running SPX last year. Hope its still relevant

I am getting all types of amped up just thinking about this. NOW all i have to do is take it out of hibernation Maybe this weekend ill get it dusted off and a rubber setup on it. I think we are going to cleveland- ahhemm.. but for the zoo, not the gate. and tonight and tomorrow are my last two Diff Eq classes.. and then im semi free for a few weeks

wholey crap butterflies in the stomach..
Well the battery sounds ok to start with, especially if it is from the new source. The SPX will get left standing on the open sections of the track in spec racing compared to the current crop of dynamic timing ESC's. I wouldn't worry about this at all to start with as getting the car sorted before you bolt in better power will bring you up to speed faster. Once you start losing out on the straights only it will be time to look for a faster ESC.

Good luck.