Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd put up some pics of my R ready for the first national this weekend... think I'm on top of it now!

Car is currently sporting a custom made LiPo tray (0.5mm thick), so I can mount in the beefy Yungtong cells... has ment a bit of dremelling of the rear bulkhead (still more to go to make sure the cells don't touch), and have to tape the cells in, but I think it looks pretty good.
If others are interested, might look to getting some properly machined...

Regards
Ed
I just want to know where you got that topdeck? I'm allready running cut uprights, so that topdeck would be PERFECT!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gwoodrc
I just want to know where you got that topdeck? I'm allready running cut uprights, so that topdeck would be PERFECT!!!
You cut out the inside of the topdeck. It's for outdoor tracks. If you do both carpet and asphalt, I would look for a second topdeck.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vabroom
You cut out the inside of the topdeck. It's for outdoor tracks. If you do both carpet and asphalt, I would look for a second topdeck.
Sorry for jumping in here. That is a Losi topdeck after some handywork of a dremel maniac. The next round of the BRCA will be on an untreated outdoor asphalt track. In my experience, a standard top deck is faster on higher grip surfaces(with uprights). The more flex seems to make the car easier to drive on lower grip tracks.

Ed, I see from your pics you have your hinge pins high. Have you tested them low? I like them high too but when the grip is too low I find the car almost undriveable with them high. Car looks good but gees those MMP are a pain to fit in the Type R. Have you got a good Mod setup for the MMP?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

I thought i would give another setup option that may have been overlooked. Where you mount the rear arms on the losi there is 2 mounting holes where the rear uprights bolt on. I have moved the rear uprights to the inside hole. To compensate for the width of the car i have used the short arm mounting position on the toe blocks. So basically the rear end width is the same but the arms are pivoting like the short arms. But this also makes where your lower suspension mounts on wider giving you a extra mounting hole which is wider. Because now the inside hole is actually where the outer hole used to be. I have also leant the front shocks over one hole so that there is a happier balance front to rear. And i have found it to work very well. Quite aggressive into the corner, but also quite stable!!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Tech Regular

Had I known the Horizon guys would be running a team this year in the Nats with the Type R I wouldn't have spent so long sorting the Xray out.

Dang
Old 05-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm running 17.5 rubber carpet and my car had cut upright's when I got it so I have never tried it with the uprights. But also my topdeck is broke between the servohorn and the bullet connecter cutout, so I have alot of flex and waiting for someone to remake the topdeck so I can try it with all the flex out.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yup, it's a dremel special. Bit of a running joke the other weekend, given I was well into double figures on the dremel stopwatch... :s

TBH, regarding the flex of the car, having come from a 416, I can tell you the flex is really not that much different without the wings, and on the rug with rubbers, that car wasnt exactly a slouch on carpet....
I have a few ideas to try out with custom made top-decks, much like Lucas has done with his car recently... 3weeks in and already doing CAD work
Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
Sorry for jumping in here. That is a Losi topdeck after some handywork of a dremel maniac. The next round of the BRCA will be on an untreated outdoor asphalt track. In my experience, a standard top deck is faster on higher grip surfaces(with uprights). The more flex seems to make the car easier to drive on lower grip tracks.

Ed, I see from your pics you have your hinge pins high. Have you tested them low? I like them high too but when the grip is too low I find the car almost undriveable with them high. Car looks good but gees those MMP are a pain to fit in the Type R. Have you got a good Mod setup for the MMP?
To be honest, I haven't had enough time with the car yet to fully get o'fait with all the setup options, literally about 6runs, and most of thoose weren't pretty thanks to a few new build/speedo niggles.

Car at the moment just has a setup Steve and Chris were running last weekend, and their cars looked good on track, and the stop watch was giving good figures, so for the moment, simply bolting that on and going from there. Whilst not mega high grip, the Mendip track does run nitro/foam most of the time, so there is decent enough levels of grip, and I know Steve improved his fastest time by about 0.3s going to the high rollcentres... so they go on the car for now

Only addition I've put on is the roll bars atm, but thats more to test fit the link lengths etc and check the bar tweak (which interestingly, was pefect first time out ), for first practise they are coming off.

As for a modified MMP setting, Chris has been running an old Peak 3.5t (equiv to a SP v2) with his MMP and the following settings;

FDR; 8ish (I quote.. )
CHEAT Timing; 14°
CHEAT RPM; 25000-32000
Start Power; Medium
Dead Band; Smallest

Not sure on punch control settings, but otherwise, cars a rocket

Regards
Ed
Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Haynes
The type r still is an awesome car, it has very few shortfalls and they can be overcome quite easily. My cars had sat on the shelf for well over a year, and still had perfectly bled shocks and smooth diffs (using all stock parts).
Quick question for the happy type r owners out there. Considering getting into 17.5 TC racing at my local track where almost everyone is running XRay T3, TOP Photon, and a few Team Magic E4S. However, I found another LHS with a new JRXS Type R kit they are selling for $199. Obviously this is leaps and bounds cheaper than a new X3 or a Photon. So question is...good deal or not? If I get a type r, will I need another couple hundred in upgrades to even come close to being competitive?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JRXS_chris
Had I known the Horizon guys would be running a team this year in the Nats with the Type R I wouldn't have spent so long sorting the Xray out.

Dang
Hey Chris,

Feel free to pop over at any of the nationals... not gonna say we'll be right, but more than happy to share any findings and thoughts on the car. See you've been running one for a while (I'm up too page 345 of the thread now ), so be good to get your thoughts as well for the UK tracks.

Cheers
Ed
Old 05-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ferenczy36
Quick question for the happy type r owners out there. Considering getting into 17.5 TC racing at my local track where almost everyone is running XRay T3, TOP Photon, and a few Team Magic E4S. However, I found another LHS with a new JRXS Type R kit they are selling for $199. Obviously this is leaps and bounds cheaper than a new X3 or a Photon. So question is...good deal or not? If I get a type r, will I need another couple hundred in upgrades to even come close to being competitive?
Ok, still being relatively new to the car, so far the upgrades we've put on constitute...

Springs
Dremel cutting wheel
Flying fox spool+layshaft

and thats about it!

Fair enough, this weekend is a bit of and acid test, but I'm pretty sure it will suprise a few people.

My honest thoughts are that the current rules, with LiPo/brushless have actually worked in the cars favour, with light weight forward being a good thing to aid the rotation (think trying to turn a long heavy stick verus a light long stick with a weight at one end).

I'll admit to being sceptical on the car (having not got on with it when originally released back in 07), but the past few weeks, having seen them go round and now driven one again in anger (albeit with issues, see above), I've rapidly reassesd my sceptisim!

Ed
Old 05-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

What I don't understand is why LOSI is supposably doing away with the car according to previous post a few pages back, but now seeing that horizon uk (which horizon owns losi) is putting a team together to run in the uk? Can someone bring some light to this?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would not say they are doing away with it, just no further development with the car. Hell the XXXS is still being made in some form and has been around a long time.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

But they are already stop making some parts, well just the topdeck sofar, but thats a start? I wish they would get back behind the car and promote it, it is still one of the best cars out!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

What I don't understand is why LOSI is supposably doing away with the car according to previous post a few pages back, but now seeing that horizon uk (which horizon owns losi) is putting a team together to run in the uk? Can someone bring some light to this?
We would all like to know more on this, but, surely HH UK getting behind the car by racing it and distributing it means parts supply is all ok?? As soon as it is confirmed no more top decks will be available, I will release an exact copy very quickly! The drawings are done and a top name US manufacturer is set to cut them out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.