R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #11641
Tech Master
 
crabboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,991
Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)
Default

Yeah its good to see everyone posting setups and stuff, not many people seem to like the Losi, maybe its just the name, i know before i had one we would laugh at the car, but since i have had mine a lot of people had taken notice of it, and i do agree the car has a LARGE sweet spot, with my 416 i was always chasing car setup, the only thing i'm looking for with the typr R is a bit more mid corner grip, it just a bit pushy mid corner.
The car is able to hold it's own against T3's BD5's and the like.

Rhys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
Also good to see so many people back on the Type R thread. It was going quiet for a while but now its like the good oll days
__________________
Rhys Marshall.
crabboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:36 AM   #11642
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,310
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiantii View Post
There is a reason why they moved from the motor being forward and moved it to the back. Why would we go back to what did not work in the past?
The original change in the layout to the type R was for better balance with BRUSHED motors and NIMH batteries. These days we run BRUSHLESS and LIPO which means the motors are now heavier and the batteries lighter. When you think about where these are in the car you will understand how the balance has changed.

What we were looking at is moving the steering servo to the side, moving the battery and motor forward, and moving the layshaft back behind the motor (if required). The idea is to have 50/50 on all corners with battery and motor 1st, then servo and ESC in the center of the wheelbase. This should in theory allow much faster rotation in the middle of the corner as the weight is not spread across the length of the chassis.
__________________
Blade: Andro Treiber H 79g AN
FH: Donic Bluefire M3 Max Blk
BH: Donic Bluefire M2 Max Red
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:54 AM   #11643
Tech Fanatic
 
dfiantii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Scramento, Ca
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
The original change in the layout to the type R was for better balance with BRUSHED motors and NIMH batteries. These days we run BRUSHLESS and LIPO which means the motors are now heavier and the batteries lighter. When you think about where these are in the car you will understand how the balance has changed.

What we were looking at is moving the steering servo to the side, moving the battery and motor forward, and moving the layshaft back behind the motor (if required). The idea is to have 50/50 on all corners with battery and motor 1st, then servo and ESC in the center of the wheelbase. This should in theory allow much faster rotation in the middle of the corner as the weight is not spread across the length of the chassis.
I understand what your saying with balance but in so doing, with you changes your changing it from its unique stand point and in turn will make it in some way like every other car thats out there. Electronics one side batteries on the other or close to that. I for one like the uniqueness of where it is now and think it should not change one bit. Its liked for its uniqueness and the FACT that it does not behave like any normal TC. Just my opinion and 2 cents.
__________________
TT-01/Hitec MG/SP LPF V1.1/Trinity 7.5
Losi Type-R/JR Z8800S/SP Cirtix Stock/Novak 25.5
Exotek F1R/Savox 1251/Tekin RS/21.5
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #11644
Tech Master
 
Pablo Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,003
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiantii View Post
I understand what your saying with balance but in so doing, with you changes your changing it from its unique stand point and in turn will make it in some way like every other car thats out there. Electronics one side batteries on the other or close to that. I for one like the uniqueness of where it is now and think it should not change one bit. Its liked for its uniqueness and the FACT that it does not behave like any normal TC. Just my opinion and 2 cents.
You misunderstood what Dragonfire was trying to say. The idea is to slide the motor and Lipo slightly forward along the centerline. To allow this, the servo will have to be relocated. By moving 450 to 500g about an inch towards the front, the car will be already 50/50 F/R. Then we can add any ballast in the middle between the front and rear axles, not all around the front of the car.

We are in two minds in regards to the placement of the layshaft. The theory is by moving it between the motor and rear axle, we have a nice long stretchy front belt, which means a bit more front traction. Otherwise we have to have a slightly shorter front belt than we currently have and slightly longer rear. It doubt this will cause any noticeable increase in rear traction and would surely have less front traction compared to the other option.

We are very close to prototyping. Carbon will be here in a few days for the alpha chassis. I have learned from the past not to make any promises on timelines, so no idea when the chassis will be available if they prove successful. Luckily for me, I have more top level test drivers locally than recently, so proving its speed will be easier.
__________________
Paul H

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #11645
Tech Fanatic
 
dfiantii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Scramento, Ca
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii
Default

I agree that my conclusion of saying it would be like any other tc was drastic, but it still does not change the fact that you will be changing the uniqueness of the car. If you move the servo and the battery, would you not in turn have to mill a new chasis plate, top plate as well as make new rear axle bulkheads and possibly fronts, seeing as how you will be changing the lengths of belts in the process?

Look I am not knocking your ingenuity to make changes to this car, every driver out there has to put lead on their car to make the balancing even but not everyone I think would want to revamp the car to make that balancing change if you have to put so much more cost to get that done. I believe LFairtrace said he did not balance his car and he was wining with it. If i misqouted you Larry I apologize.

Again this is just my opinion. Everyone says this car is so good out the box just seems like alot of things looking to get changed that don't makes that much sense to be changed. More power if you make this work I just dont think its necessary to change something that is not broke.
__________________
TT-01/Hitec MG/SP LPF V1.1/Trinity 7.5
Losi Type-R/JR Z8800S/SP Cirtix Stock/Novak 25.5
Exotek F1R/Savox 1251/Tekin RS/21.5
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #11646
Tech Addict
 
paraletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ADELAIDE
Posts: 553
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys just a question
will the springs from a losi xxxs fit on the jrxs shocks??
Cheers
__________________
Losi XXX-S G+..................Tamiya M03.......................TOP Photon
Losi XXX-4 G+.................HoBao ST Pro electric........Losi Micro SCT
Losi XXX-CR....................Losi Mini Baja.....................Losi XX-4 W/E
ASSociated RC12L4
T.O.P PHOTON EX & Tamiya M05 - currently undergoing rigorous crash testing!
paraletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #11647
Tech Elite
 
Yeti35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: York, PA
Posts: 2,802
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraletic View Post
Hey guys just a question
will the springs from a losi xxxs fit on the jrxs shocks??
Cheers
No, the shocks are completely different in size.
__________________
JRXS Type R, I have four of them!! ;) ( Yes, I still have them!!)
22 2.0
22T 2.0
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #11648
Tech Elite
 
YmeBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,927
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiantii View Post
I agree that my conclusion of saying it would be like any other tc was drastic, but it still does not change the fact that you will be changing the uniqueness of the car. If you move the servo and the battery, would you not in turn have to mill a new chasis plate, top plate as well as make new rear axle bulkheads and possibly fronts, seeing as how you will be changing the lengths of belts in the process?

Look I am not knocking your ingenuity to make changes to this car, every driver out there has to put lead on their car to make the balancing even but not everyone I think would want to revamp the car to make that balancing change if you have to put so much more cost to get that done. I believe LFairtrace said he did not balance his car and he was wining with it. If i misqouted you Larry I apologize.

Again this is just my opinion. Everyone says this car is so good out the box just seems like alot of things looking to get changed that don't makes that much sense to be changed. More power if you make this work I just dont think its necessary to change something that is not broke.
If you read back through the bazillion pages of this thread you will see two common themes, people say that the car hasn't been changed in xxx years and they don't like it, they want to see new and fresh, then people saying the car hasn't been changed in xxx years and that is GREAT, awesome design holds up to the test of time etc and they like it.

Not sure which camp I fall in, but I do like the option to add things here and there if the mood strikes me. Part of the reason i chose the Type-R was to have something different.
__________________
www.skyrocketracing.com quality RC gear!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/555071-2011-skyrocket-invitational-blue-diamond-raceway-october-15-16-a.html <- Great race!
YmeBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #11649
Tech Fanatic
 
dfiantii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Scramento, Ca
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii
Default

I am for making changes to the car in the sense of tweaking things. I liked the layshaft option even though I have no invested in one yet or the spool option. This just sounds like a big revamp to me. I am all for minor tweaks. Like I said thats just my two cents to this topic. I am sure people who want to see big changes will like the moving of the motor, servo, and having to get different dimension belts and whatever else will need to be purchased. I wish you guys the best of luck in that change.
__________________
TT-01/Hitec MG/SP LPF V1.1/Trinity 7.5
Losi Type-R/JR Z8800S/SP Cirtix Stock/Novak 25.5
Exotek F1R/Savox 1251/Tekin RS/21.5
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #11650
Tech Master
 
Pablo Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,003
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiantii View Post
I agree that my conclusion of saying it would be like any other tc was drastic, but it still does not change the fact that you will be changing the uniqueness of the car. If you move the servo and the battery, would you not in turn have to mill a new chasis plate, top plate as well as make new rear axle bulkheads and possibly fronts, seeing as how you will be changing the lengths of belts in the process?

Look I am not knocking your ingenuity to make changes to this car, every driver out there has to put lead on their car to make the balancing even but not everyone I think would want to revamp the car to make that balancing change if you have to put so much more cost to get that done. I believe LFairtrace said he did not balance his car and he was wining with it. If i misqouted you Larry I apologize.

Again this is just my opinion. Everyone says this car is so good out the box just seems like alot of things looking to get changed that don't makes that much sense to be changed. More power if you make this work I just dont think its necessary to change something that is not broke.
You are right that this is not just a new chassis. Its much more involved and it has been drawn on cad and is ready for prototyping.

Its not so much ingenuity, but plain physics. The most dense parts of the car is the motor followed by the lead ballast. This weight is placed at either end of the car creating a high moment of inertia resisting initial rotation and then resisting stopping of rotation at corner exit. I have discussed this with the former losi prototype engineer and he fully agrees.

Also remember that even though this car was quite lipo friendly, it was designed and tested at a time when brushed motors(lighter than brushless) and NiMH(much heavier tha lipo) were still used. When using the heavy brushless and light lipo's this car become rear biased. Yes Larry won without balancing but that is not to say that this already great car can't be improved(Larry would probably not agree though).

I have great support from some of the best drivers in OZ and there is no better time to get this happening as Losi appear to have stopped stocking top decks!
__________________
Paul H

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #11651
Tech Fanatic
 
dfiantii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Scramento, Ca
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii
Default

I await the final product...
__________________
TT-01/Hitec MG/SP LPF V1.1/Trinity 7.5
Losi Type-R/JR Z8800S/SP Cirtix Stock/Novak 25.5
Exotek F1R/Savox 1251/Tekin RS/21.5
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #11652
Tech Elite
 
Chris Furman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,053
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Default

Just spoke with LOSI... Parts are now being phased out officially. Car is DEAD. Bummer!
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #11653
Tech Elite
 
L.Fairtrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 3,746
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace
Default

Someone Take Torys shoelaces
__________________
T.O.P Racing - Awesomatix USA - EaMotorsports - BSR Racing Tires - Orca - TQ Wire - Solaris Racing Tires - Side Piece Racing

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #11654
Tech Elite
 
Greg Sharpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Snowbird Nationals
Posts: 3,206
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Furman View Post
Just spoke with LOSI... Parts are now being phased out officially. Car is DEAD. Bummer!
If we promise to off-road the Type-R, or make a BMI crawler conversion for it, do you think they will reconsider?
__________________
If only endurance racing was a thing.
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #11655
Tech Elite
 
Chris Furman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,053
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
If we promise to off-road the Type-R, or make a BMI crawler conversion for it, do you think they will reconsider?

I have 8th scale buggy tires.. hmm...
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FS] Team Losi JRXS-Type R squarehead R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 07-21-2012 12:59 AM
Team Losi JRXS Type R gtxpro2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 09-11-2008 08:45 PM
WTB: Team Losi JRXS Type R shifter R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 07-03-2008 03:30 PM
Team Losi JRXS TYPE-R John Q R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 10-03-2007 06:55 PM
Team Losi JRXS Type R New In Box Canyon R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 06-20-2007 04:50 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:36 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0