R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #11341
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thank you very much Greg Sharpe! you done everything for me that day!

so I went to racing at RCM last Sunday came back so tired i finally have some time to write in here and my blog.

I had no traction again at that track again that got me and Greg Sharpe, the Bear all feeling weired about my car, ride height, damping, all fine! but car spins out as soon as I get back on the gas after the Apex.

so I messed up in 1st and 2nd qualifying run horrible time, right before the 3rd round I felt Greg's type-R diff and decide rebuilt mine.

my diff was very lose from 2 weeks ago I ran it like that but didn't rebuilt before this race and what happened was I spun that diff so fast for so many run the diff had no grease on it but felt smooth cause being so lose! it's like having a gear diff on it, only difference was mine had no power going on any of my rear wheels! the gear diff transform power at least to the wheel that lifting!

after the rebuilt car ran fine but while I was practing I got T-bone perfect and destroyed my Novak XXTRA RX! me and buddies trying to solder this RX back on line but not good, Greg sharpe lend me a NEW M8 and a RX for me to run in 3rd heat and Main.

so after all that rushing changing radio gear here at 3rd and last round kinda b main qualifiers all got together packed in 10 car race, as you guessed it. we went to dog fight! we bite, kick hacked each other so bad none of us improved their own time. what a bunch of animals! man I hate all of you! and they hate me too. hahah

here come I'm in 7th in the B main, I decide to try a set of Sweep racing EXP30 tires that I start importing, my car had so much grip and so much faster everywhere I was leading that B main after few laps. then I bobbled a little few passed me then I went Mike Tyson through every corner, FULL speed on that sweeper after the main straightaway, BAM! hit the CRCclick barrier on Left, bounce off to the outside barrier to the right! SO HARD, I broke A-arm of cos AND A front shock tower! all in RIGHT side!

a lesson I learned from this race: every basic component of my type-R needs my attention too! something like a Diff?
Attached Thumbnails
Team Losi JRXS Type-R-20010118.jpg  

Last edited by SweepRacingUSA; 01-19-2010 at 11:49 PM.
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #11342
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
You can get one from us here in the states, or straight from oz, not sure if he's got a eu distributor quite yet. I'm waiting on stock but word on the street was very very soon for a restock.
Certainly, let us agree on PM.
Maybe you too can you help me, I need two accessories, but it seems that who produce them does not like communicating via email with me....
Rouge711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #11343
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hello guys, I got my first type-r and have several questions:
1.Do you fit any 5000 or more and 40C ore more lipo packs directly? Or I need to dremel hardcase and this tiny part of bulkhead?
2.Is only steel lipo tray available? I don't need additional weight....
3.I feel some friction problems in drivetrain, what may be weakest point? Where to look for?
4. Do exist more flexible main chassis and upper deck?
5.How can one add some felx to the chassis?
6.Maybe some latest rubber setup can anyone advice for begginning for modified/spec class?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #11344
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajman View Post
1.Do you fit any 5000 or more and 40C ore more lipo packs directly? Or I need to dremel hardcase and this tiny part of bulkhead?

Thunderpower fit just fine

Steel losi tray and the stock plastic tray
3.I feel some friction problems in drivetrain, what may be weakest point? Where to look for?

Loosen up the tension on the belts, weakest point used to be the arms

not yet

dont need to, but if you must you can remove the screws of the side braces

6.Maybe some latest rubber setup can anyone advice for begginning for modified/spec class?

Todd Hodge's Reedy set up is a good starting point
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #11345
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_John_wee View Post
here come I'm in 7th in the B main, I decide to try a set of Sweep racing EXP30 tires that I start importing, my car had so much grip and so much faster everywhere I was leading that B main after few laps. then I bobbled a little few passed me then I went Mike Tyson through every corner, FULL speed on that sweeper after the main straightaway, BAM! hit the CRCclick barrier on Left, bounce off to the outside barrier to the right! SO HARD, I broke A-arm of cos AND A front shock tower! all in RIGHT side!
You just cracked under the pressure of the hard charging schui I broke a lot of stuff on my type-r and never broke a shock tower, you got skillz

Rear diff is very important to well running losi, I would rebuild mine in my foam car before every important race.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #11346
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post

Rear diff is very important to well running losi, I would rebuild mine in my foam car before every important race.

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #11347
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

See reply in red
Quote:
Just watch the rear layshaft pulleys, they may need to be sanded a bit, or you can get the FlyingFox layshaft to clear all the big lipos.
Steel tray is made in batches, when they're in, buy two, sell the other one.
Check the heat shrink on the LCD front drive shafts. Often times people leave too much material hanging over the end of the assembly and it rubs on the C-hubs.
Probably don't need it. The roll centers on this car migrate faster than all the other available competition grade TCs, so if you can't find grip with this car, try racing it on road instead of off road.
See Marcos.J reply, and don't upset him, he's a bad mofo!
ESC settings like drag brake and throttle profile have a gigantic effect on modified cars. Be sure to play with those during practice.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #11348
Company Representative

Quote:
I just wanted to add on #3: that grindy friction might coming from Alum hex pressuring ball bearings on the hubs. this is how you can check

remove a hub from the arm and mount a wheel as you normaly would, spin it to check all 4 wheels by itself out from the car. if you feel grindy $hity feeling, then its a time to change a axle, Alum hex and a wheel mounting nuts to "serrated nut" as I wrote on my blog here
http://dajohnwee.blogspot.com/2009/09/aluminium-hex-mystery-on-jrxs-type-r.html

once you start using serrated nuts and don't tight the wheels with too much pressure, Hex and the axle should last longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
You just cracked under the pressure of the hard charging schui I broke a lot of stuff on my type-r and never broke a shock tower, you got skillz

when I bobbled yes cracked under pressure, wacked on full speed part....over confidence from my type-R finally handling way it should.

yeah i thought maintainance on RR diff was over rated, Live and learn.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #11349
Tech Regular

Thanks guys Where will I find this setup? And where to buy Flying Fox modifieds fastest and in good price? Any other suggested changes?
Has anyone tried to put ESC in place of servo and make servo steer from some other place? As far as I can see it is weakest point of this construction, my esc is heavy, weights 95grams opposite to 45grams low profile servo. It would be nice to have esc in center line and servo somewhere more outside...
Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #11350
Company Representative

Quote:
Thanks guys Where will I find this setup? And where to buy Flying Fox modifieds fastest and in good price? Any other suggested changes?
Has anyone tried to put ESC in place of servo and make servo steer from some other place? As far as I can see it is weakest point of this construction, my esc is heavy, weights 95grams opposite to 45grams low profile servo. It would be nice to have esc in center line and servo somewhere more outside...
I wouldnt move the Servo. that is in perfect place, your ESC 95grams-your Rx weight = XX grams. stick that grams of lead on Rx side and you have a dream balanced chassis compared to the so called normal configuration chassis
Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #11351
Tech Regular

RX is 16grams, do I would have to stick 80g of lead... that is something like next esc
Why I can see 2 types of c-hubs? One is like xxx-s and other one is with double lin mount... which is better?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #11352
Company Representative

Quote:
RX is 16grams, do I would have to stick 80g of lead... that is something like next esc
Why I can see 2 types of c-hubs? One is like xxx-s and other one is with double lin mount... which is better?
I dont think you need that much since your Servo is tilted to that side, check on a tweak station when you get chance you will see.

I think you mean hub carrier, C hub is what we called caster blocks, you need one with 2 holes, one with a single hole is made for the XXXS.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #11353
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Different material, the XXX-S ones are a graphite, which is a bit stiffer.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #11354
Tech Regular

Do hubs from xxx-s change handling? I have several xxx-s's and hundreds of parts for them, it may be good for me to have it this way...
Old 01-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #11355
Company Representative

Quote:
Do hubs from xxx-s change handling? I have several xxx-s's and hundreds of parts for them, it may be good for me to have it this way...
I can imagine it will give you less ackerman, which mean un natural feelings of steering.