R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #11116
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The JRXS-R has holes drilled in the chassis at the front/rear and left/right side to be used with the balance pins that I use for my 1/12th and WGT cars so I just balanced the car front to back and side to side using those.

I'm much too lazy to fool around with corner weighting with scales ...besides, everyone that I know that has tried it has had very inconsistent results. As always, your mileage may vary!

Cheers,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyebmx View Post
What method did you use to discover your balance?

I was trying to corner balance with 4 scales, but inconsistent surfaces are really throwing the #'s off. I have to get a big plate of glass or something
Old 12-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #11117
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike View Post
The JRXS-R has holes drilled in the chassis at the front/rear and left/right side to be used with the balance pins that I use for my 1/12th and WGT cars so I just balanced the car front to back and side to side using those.

I'm much too lazy to fool around with corner weighting with scales ...besides, everyone that I know that has tried it has had very inconsistent results. As always, your mileage may vary!

Cheers,
Mike

+1 on the balance pins
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #11118
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks Mike!
Old 12-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #11119
Tech Elite

Anyone hear from FlyingFox RC? Been a while since I had a response from him.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #11120
Tech Fanatic

Default First drive!

Just thought I'd chime in with my first experience running my Type R.

I'm new to TC but I've been running 1/12th scale and WGT and Tamiya Mini for a couple of seasons.

I decided to try TC with a Type R even though most guys in our club don't think highly of it (we're mostly an X-Ray/TC5R kinda club). I put a Flying Fox layshaft and Spool in it. I Took it to practice night last night and put on a setup I found on the Petit RC site for low grip carpet with rubber.

It was AWESOME! Super smooth and great in quick transitions left to right. A bunch of the club guys were surprised at how quickly it changed directions with the a$$ end so well planted. Within 3 packs I was only about 0.3 sec per lap off the faster guys' fast laps...I just need to practice my driving now to get way more consistent.

I was initially concerned about durability but I slammed it off of more than it's fair share of boards last night and it didn't have one issue!

All-in-all I can see why you guys like this car so much and I'm really looking forward to racing it in our Winter series coming up!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 12-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #11121
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Furman View Post
Anyone hear from FlyingFox RC? Been a while since I had a response from him.
Hi Chris. I'm here. I've had my head buried into some machines recently so I've been a little quiet. I've got more products on the way including a new motor mount for the TC5. Sorry to all you Losi guys. The Type R is still my favorite but I could see a way to really improve the TC5 so I did.

I got some after-market bearings for my Type R yesterday and noticed that they wouldn't fit on the my Layshaft. My kit bearing were a perfect fit! So something to keep in mind for anyone running the Flying Fox Layshaft.

Tomorrow I get to ru my Losi for the first time at 1425grams. Everyone else is having trouble balancing their cars at the new lower weight but not anyone with a Type R. Years after its release and its still showing how good its design is.

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #11122
Tech Master

Quote:
All-in-all I can see why you guys like this car so much and I'm really looking forward to racing it in our Winter series coming up!

Cheers,
Mike
I keep considering another car but I can't find one that is really any better than the Type-R. Glad you liked it.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #11123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I have designed and made a new style setup wheel. The new design will not only give accurate camber readings, but will also allow for accurate tweak measurement. The wheel actually threads on the axle allowing it to center perfectly every time.

I made a handful of them with 8-32 threads with the Losi racers in mind, check out my RCRevealed thread in the Team and Company Discussions forums for more info.

Thanks,
Randy Caster
Used my buddies rcr setup wheels last night, they are AWESOME!
Jaz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #11124
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
Hi Chris. I'm here. I've had my head buried into some machines recently so I've been a little quiet. I've got more products on the way including a new motor mount for the TC5. Sorry to all you Losi guys. The Type R is still my favorite but I could see a way to really improve the TC5 so I did.

I got some after-market bearings for my Type R yesterday and noticed that they wouldn't fit on the my Layshaft. My kit bearing were a perfect fit! So something to keep in mind for anyone running the Flying Fox Layshaft.

Tomorrow I get to ru my Losi for the first time at 1425grams. Everyone else is having trouble balancing their cars at the new lower weight but not anyone with a Type R. Years after its release and its still showing how good its design is.

thanks, but please answer my PM and/or email.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #11125
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
I was initially concerned about durability but I slammed it off of more than it's fair share of boards last night and it didn't have one issue!
Your lucky...I look at a corner wrong and a "C" Hub breaks... But that is about the only think I have broken.
jrp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #11126
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Just thought I'd chime in with my first experience running my Type R.

I'm new to TC but I've been running 1/12th scale and WGT and Tamiya Mini for a couple of seasons.

I decided to try TC with a Type R even though most guys in our club don't think highly of it (we're mostly an X-Ray/TC5R kinda club). I put a Flying Fox layshaft and Spool in it. I Took it to practice night last night and put on a setup I found on the Petit RC site for low grip carpet with rubber.

It was AWESOME! Super smooth and great in quick transitions left to right. A bunch of the club guys were surprised at how quickly it changed directions with the a$$ end so well planted. Within 3 packs I was only about 0.3 sec per lap off the faster guys' fast laps...I just need to practice my driving now to get way more consistent.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike, now you know why I like the type-r. Just have to get out racing more, pretty tough to do when my little one takes priority. But I hope to come out more in the new year. Hopefully, you and I can tear things up..
Facebook: CARCAR
MaxRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #11127
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Can somebody give me some info on the balance holes on the sides of the type r? Do you usually want a perfect balance front/rear when using these? Does anybody know what balance (or bias) balancing on these holes gives? Seems as of right now i have been running with rear end heavy when up on those balance holes.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #11128
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Can somebody give me some info on the balance holes on the sides of the type r? Do you usually want a perfect balance front/rear when using these? Does anybody know what balance (or bias) balancing on these holes gives? Seems as of right now i have been running with rear end heavy when up on those balance holes.
its hard to do anything but guesstimate % with the pins, usually you will end up slightly rear biased unless you make an effort to move your electronics as far forward as possible, put your transponder under the diff, etc.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #11129
Tech Fanatic

I believe in the manual it states that those side holes for balancing front-to-rear are located exactly mid-point between the Front and Rear Diff centerlines. This is because you can shift the wheelbase around some so they would never be centered on the actual axle centerlines.

I needed to add some weight to make our 1500g minimum and I added it all to the front of the car to get it to balance perfectly front-to-rear on those balance points....what that means in FR%/RR% terms I have no idea.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Quote:
Old 12-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #11130
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have been having some issue with stripping out servo horns on my type-R. Searched for a bit but never came up with anything. So i went ahead and figured out my own solutions. I took a standard aluminum servo arm, and bent it and put a nut on the back side. The nut does hit the top deck (as you can see) but you are almost at full servo throw anyway, with a dremeling of the top deck you should be good to go.

Hope this helps anyone else with this issue.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote