R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #10651
Tech Addict
 
Mugen10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 551
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mugen10 Send a message via Skype™ to Mugen10
Default

I see now. I vary a .1 to .5 per lap. I still have improvements in driving before I need to worry about chassis flex.
__________________
Central Kentucky Racing
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Xray T4
Mugen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #10652
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,310
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen10 View Post
Is chassis flex more or less going to improve the lap times that much? Are we talking about .1 or .05 of a second? If a 1/2 sec. could be made I can see that being worthy of looking into. Then again it goes to being consistent.
I would generally say that flex may improve laptimes but will make your car more predictable. A flexy chassis has more mechanical grip so will have more low speed steering but usually less high speed.
__________________
Blade: Andro Treiber H 79g AN
FH: Donic Bluefire M3 Max Blk
BH: Donic Bluefire M2 Max Red
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #10653
Tech Elite
 
WheelNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Edmonton, Ab
Posts: 3,207
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut
Default

I got to give my Type R a pretty good run today. This is only the second time I've been able to drive the car since I got it. We had a practice day at the parking lot track today, and it was really cold and windy! (about 10ºC, 30-45kmh winds ) I toughed out the crappy weather though. The Type R is feeling better now than it was compared to the first time I ran it, since I've had a chance to balance the preload and droop settings now. I've got some unknown setup on the car right now that makes it extremely edgy off centre. Just going down the straight a slight twitch of the wheel would make the car dart 3-4ft in that direction. Turn in was a bit weak though, which was surprising. Exit steering was good, but the back end was loose on exit and the rear end had the feeling of swinging out like a pendulum if I got on the throttle just a bit to early. Keep in mind I was running an HPI S2000 body, but I ran an R9R on the car last week and the balance wasn't terribly different this time, but grip and steering were down a bit.
So, overall not very happy with the handling yet. My Xray was perfectly dialed just like it always is on that track too, so the Losi has some ground to make up yet, but these are just learning days still! The Xray has a hundred runs and the Losi only has about 7-8 so far.
There aren't a lot of setups on the Losi website. Right now I'm running on a tight asphalt track, but in a couple weeks we'll be moving indoor to a really, really insanely tight carpet track with Jaco Blue as the spec tire. Are there any setups you guys can recommend for me? The factory setups from Losi are just for carpet foam and rubber asphalt, what about carpet rubber? I used the standard carpet rubber setup on my Xray for our asphalt track and it was almost perfect. I'm hoping that I can find a similar setup sheet for the Losi.
__________________
•Brad Comis
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #10654
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,009
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
I got to give my Type R a pretty good run today. This is only the second time I've been able to drive the car since I got it. We had a practice day at the parking lot track today, and it was really cold and windy! (about 10ºC, 30-45kmh winds ) I toughed out the crappy weather though. The Type R is feeling better now than it was compared to the first time I ran it, since I've had a chance to balance the preload and droop settings now. I've got some unknown setup on the car right now that makes it extremely edgy off centre. Just going down the straight a slight twitch of the wheel would make the car dart 3-4ft in that direction. Turn in was a bit weak though, which was surprising. Exit steering was good, but the back end was loose on exit and the rear end had the feeling of swinging out like a pendulum if I got on the throttle just a bit to early. Keep in mind I was running an HPI S2000 body, but I ran an R9R on the car last week and the balance wasn't terribly different this time, but grip and steering were down a bit.
So, overall not very happy with the handling yet. My Xray was perfectly dialed just like it always is on that track too, so the Losi has some ground to make up yet, but these are just learning days still! The Xray has a hundred runs and the Losi only has about 7-8 so far.
There aren't a lot of setups on the Losi website. Right now I'm running on a tight asphalt track, but in a couple weeks we'll be moving indoor to a really, really insanely tight carpet track with Jaco Blue as the spec tire. Are there any setups you guys can recommend for me? The factory setups from Losi are just for carpet foam and rubber asphalt, what about carpet rubber? I used the standard carpet rubber setup on my Xray for our asphalt track and it was almost perfect. I'm hoping that I can find a similar setup sheet for the Losi.
http://http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/...0256urbain.pdf

Lucas urbain's asphalt setup sheet

I'm sure Dragonfire has a good idea of where to start on asphalt too. Is the surface prepped? Low traction? what tires? What setup do you have now?

I have only ran my type R once on asphalt and it was good enough for the A main even with a one way up front.
Jaz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #10655
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,310
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz406 View Post
http://http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/...0256urbain.pdf

Lucas urbain's asphalt setup sheet

I'm sure Dragonfire has a good idea of where to start on asphalt too. Is the surface prepped? Low traction? what tires? What setup do you have now?

I have only ran my type R once on asphalt and it was good enough for the A main even with a one way up front.
My current setups are based around a stiff chassis where as Lucas will be based around flex. There will be quite a difference. I will have to see about posting my base setup there some time for those that run stiff chassis on rubber/asphalt.
__________________
Blade: Andro Treiber H 79g AN
FH: Donic Bluefire M3 Max Blk
BH: Donic Bluefire M2 Max Red
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #10656
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,747
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
I got to give my Type R a pretty good run today. This is only the second time I've been able to drive the car since I got it. We had a practice day at the parking lot track today, and it was really cold and windy! (about 10ºC, 30-45kmh winds ) I toughed out the crappy weather though. The Type R is feeling better now than it was compared to the first time I ran it, since I've had a chance to balance the preload and droop settings now. I've got some unknown setup on the car right now that makes it extremely edgy off centre. Just going down the straight a slight twitch of the wheel would make the car dart 3-4ft in that direction. Turn in was a bit weak though, which was surprising. Exit steering was good, but the back end was loose on exit and the rear end had the feeling of swinging out like a pendulum if I got on the throttle just a bit to early. Keep in mind I was running an HPI S2000 body, but I ran an R9R on the car last week and the balance wasn't terribly different this time, but grip and steering were down a bit.
So, overall not very happy with the handling yet. My Xray was perfectly dialed just like it always is on that track too, so the Losi has some ground to make up yet, but these are just learning days still! The Xray has a hundred runs and the Losi only has about 7-8 so far.
There aren't a lot of setups on the Losi website. Right now I'm running on a tight asphalt track, but in a couple weeks we'll be moving indoor to a really, really insanely tight carpet track with Jaco Blue as the spec tire. Are there any setups you guys can recommend for me? The factory setups from Losi are just for carpet foam and rubber asphalt, what about carpet rubber? I used the standard carpet rubber setup on my Xray for our asphalt track and it was almost perfect. I'm hoping that I can find a similar setup sheet for the Losi.
It's not really fair to judge the car when you don't even know the setup that's on it, lol.

Here is the setup I ran on a very tight parking lot track, RP30s worked very well.

F:
High roll center
15lb spring w/45 oil and red pistons
middle hole in the tower
5.5mm ride height
-2 camber
4dg caster
2mm droop
steering #2 on the rack, #1 on the knuckle
camber link: #1
sway bar .04
Spool
High diff
.195 hex

R
3dg toe
5.5 ride height
-2 camber
.030 shim under the front block for anti squat
Low roll center
High diff
.165 hex
arms forward
camber link: 4A with 2 shims under the ballstud on the hubs
Shocks: 2 on the tower, outside on the arm
.050 sway bar
12lb spring with 40w / red piston

I took out the 4 screws in the top deck, but left the posts in so I had something to screw the battery into.
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #10657
Tech Champion
 
Kwikvdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 5,950
Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub
Default

I've seen this set-up in action and you don't have to butcher your car out!......... Car was easy to drive and stable. Very good starting point!
__________________
Alex Valdes

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #10658
Tech Elite
 
WheelNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Edmonton, Ab
Posts: 3,207
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut
Default

Thanks for the advice guys. I know it's not fair to pass judgement on the car yet, but I had to be critical to get all your minds going, lol. The track I'm running on now is low grip, cold weather, slightly bumpy, and very tight. I'll try out that setup you posted MikeXray and hopefully I'll be able to try it out for our last asphalt race of the year. I'm interested to see how all these setups transfer over onto carpet, since we're starting that soon.
__________________
•Brad Comis
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #10659
Tech Regular
 
Jerzy JayRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 450
Trader Rating: 38 (98%+)
Default losi

hey guys, ive read alot of this thread and wow what a great amount of info..... im new to touring car racing, i have a standard issue Type R and will be racing on brand new CRC carpet 100x40 total race area. we will be using jaco blue spec tire.

that bein said....... where could i find a base set up for rubber carpet 17.5

thanks for everyones help in advance
__________________
WwW.BOSSRCMOTORSPORTS.COM
BOSS POWER!!!!!!!!!!!
WWW.NJSlotSpot.COM
Horsham 2009/2010
CRUSH GRAPHIXS---CUSTOM VINYL LETTERING,ANY SIZE,ANY TIME.....
Jerzy JayRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #10660
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lexington, Ky
Posts: 763
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
It's not really fair to judge the car when you don't even know the setup that's on it, lol.

Here is the setup I ran on a very tight parking lot track, RP30s worked very well.

F:
High roll center
15lb spring w/45 oil and red pistons
middle hole in the tower
5.5mm ride height
-2 camber
4dg caster
2mm droop
steering #2 on the rack, #1 on the knuckle
camber link: #1
sway bar .04
Spool
High diff
.195 hex

R
3dg toe
5.5 ride height
-2 camber
.030 shim under the front block for anti squat
Low roll center
High diff
.165 hex
arms forward
camber link: 4A with 2 shims under the ballstud on the hubs
Shocks: 2 on the tower, outside on the arm
.050 sway bar
12lb spring with 40w / red piston

I took out the 4 screws in the top deck, but left the posts in so I had something to screw the battery into.
What is the front arm spacing,toe and rear droop?
bmcallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #10661
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,747
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcallister View Post
What is the front arm spacing,toe and rear droop?
front arms: middle

rear droop: 2mm
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #10662
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,747
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzy JayRO View Post
hey guys, ive read alot of this thread and wow what a great amount of info..... im new to touring car racing, i have a standard issue Type R and will be racing on brand new CRC carpet 100x40 total race area. we will be using jaco blue spec tire.

that bein said....... where could i find a base set up for rubber carpet 17.5

thanks for everyones help in advance
here is one
Attached Thumbnails
Team Losi JRXS Type-R-jrxs-type-r-rubber-snowbirds-08.gif  
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #10663
Tech Regular
 
Jerzy JayRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 450
Trader Rating: 38 (98%+)
Default

thanks mike
__________________
WwW.BOSSRCMOTORSPORTS.COM
BOSS POWER!!!!!!!!!!!
WWW.NJSlotSpot.COM
Horsham 2009/2010
CRUSH GRAPHIXS---CUSTOM VINYL LETTERING,ANY SIZE,ANY TIME.....
Jerzy JayRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #10664
Tech Master
 
jkirkwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,223
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I ran my car on a rather low to medium bite asphalt track this past weekend and the car was simply fantastic. Got into the corner very well and finished the corners with great forward bite. None of that stepping out, fish tailing stuff in the rear that others was having issues with. The car got faster and faster all day without loosing balance as grip eventually did pickup to medium bite conditions.
__________________
SMC Racing | AKA Products | Serpent America | Android Nitro Runtime Calculator
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #10665
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,009
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
My current setups are based around a stiff chassis where as Lucas will be based around flex. There will be quite a difference. I will have to see about posting my base setup there some time for those that run stiff chassis on rubber/asphalt.
I and many others would like that. I though you posted the setup for the Muchmore race?

Last edited by Jaz406; 09-21-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Jaz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FS] Team Losi JRXS-Type R squarehead R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 07-21-2012 12:59 AM
Team Losi JRXS Type R gtxpro2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 09-11-2008 08:45 PM
WTB: Team Losi JRXS Type R shifter R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 07-03-2008 03:30 PM
Team Losi JRXS TYPE-R John Q R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 10-03-2007 06:55 PM
Team Losi JRXS Type R New In Box Canyon R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 06-20-2007 04:50 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:05 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0