R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #10636
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Both cars lack major factory support and have lost very good drivers who would have promoted the cars. Barry Baker signed with TM, but that didn't work out. Losi doesn't have full time drivers for the R any longer either. The E4 has slightly more belt drag due to having an extra belt, but its very minimal. Both will win in the right hands.
At least the type r has had some success with previous drivers, I can't think of any big wins for the TM E4. When a big team of good sponsered drivers get together they can even sort out cars that aren't that good.(XRAY???). But, when someone like Dragonfire or Lucas Urbain, who could drive whatever chassis they wan't choose the Type R and then go out and beat other well known drivers without any factory support, that is the best proof you can get of just how good the car is.

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #10637
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxRain View Post
Thirdly, I think I read somewhere in the E4 forum that some had issues fitting newer motors on the chassis.
Last weekend I did have an issue with the type R. I tried installing a Novak Ballistic 17.5 and found I had to bend the solder tabs straight up. Otherwise they would hit the bulkhead and not allow the motor to slide all the way in. Only a minor thing.

Bill.
Lost Aggresiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #10638
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
At least the type r has had some success with previous drivers, I can't think of any big wins for the TM E4. When a big team of good sponsered drivers get together they can even sort out cars that aren't that good.(XRAY???). But, when someone like Dragonfire or Lucas Urbain, who could drive whatever chassis they wan't choose the Type R and then go out and beat other well known drivers without any factory support, that is the best proof you can get of just how good the car is.
Yeah, I was just sighting obvious differences. The Losi is race proven, easier to tune and has a lot more setup data. The race winning heritage is exceptional. I race mine in 17.5. My TM car sits on the shelf. The center belt has too much drag on the E4.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #10639
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
... My TM car sits on the shelf. The center belt has too much drag on the E4.
The old FSR Bullet suffered the same fate; great chassis, phenominal balance, but too much drag for what was stock racing (ie: limited wind classes).
Old 09-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #10640
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_John_wee View Post
not only in theory, back when we used to have 20ish pinions on the cars that mde hugh diffrence, cars with a bigger gears smoother and roll further when coasting. but not in todays BL with Flywheel size pinions.

balancing is kinda mental thingie if you ask em hahah

I had few TiR and that company used to pack with a 2mm set screw sometime and that drove me nut ! for the gear/screws they have state of the art products for sure.

but I found out noise from the gears are more from meterial of spur than a quality of a pinion.

softer spur in brand new condition is quiter than a hard one, when only it is new.
Take a look at the redesigned pinions on their website. They aren't the same as the older ones. These are more for brushless w./ a long shank that keeps everything spinning true. and the grub screw is a little bigger now.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #10641
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
Take a look at the redesigned pinions on their website. They aren't the same as the older ones. These are more for brushless w./ a long shank that keeps everything spinning true. and the grub screw is a little bigger now.

yeah saw that on your website those pinions looks great! and look right for BL, I just didnt see them for awhile, just flash back memories from the past, I still have most of my Tir screws on my cars thought.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #10642
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
Pablo you are right, 2 years ago Lucas tried my Type R for a complete regional race (I did not race) he did really well for a first experience with the car. Then I proposed him to drive it for the next national event, he accepted and let his Tam 415msx on the shelf for that race. He came at the race with half a day delay, dns for the 3 first qualif and set the 3rd time at the last qualif. Everybody there were on their ass !!. That was the beginning of the story. Lucas is really talented driver with a prodigious car. It is a competitiv package.
phil goetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #10643
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Type R is a good car and a lot of people bought it when it first came out. There were many that abandon it shortly after because they did not figure out how to make it work for them and became discouraged. I was almost one of those people until I started talking to Schreff, Fairtrace and Haynes. I got setups from them that seemed to work really well for me and I am now learning to make slight adjustments here and there based on conditions. I am with this car until Horizon desides they are no longer making parts for it. I had a bad week at IIC, but it was not the car, it was me just making bad mental errors. I could put in some really good laps with both my foam car as well as my rubber car, I just don't run carpet enough to be super competitive at it. If I ran carpet more I would be more consistant with it.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #10644
Tech Regular

Some one know a company that make an after market chassis?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #10645
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil goetty View Post
Pablo you are right, 2 years ago Lucas tried my Type R for a complete regional race (I did not race) he did really well for a first experience with the car. Then I proposed him to drive it for the next national event, he accepted and let his Tam 415msx on the shelf for that race. He came at the race with half a day delay, dns for the 3 first qualif and set the 3rd time at the last qualif. Everybody there were on their ass !!. That was the beginning of the story. Lucas is really talented driver with a prodigious car. It is a competitiv package.
Lucas done it again!

The 2009 French Cup Champion !!

from teamlosi.com
Old 09-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #10646
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
Some one know a company that make an after market chassis?
What would you be looking for in an aftermarket chassis? More stiffness or more flex?
Old 09-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #10647
Tech Regular

Quote:
What would you be looking for in an aftermarket chassis? More stiffness or more flex?
Nor one or the other.

I'm super happy about the car, even if is quite a rare unit at the track side.

Soon or later it happens that you hit something too fast...

And both, front and rear section, are in some are too thin.

I can machine one, but I don't have the time to make all the reverse engineering, if someone has already a CAD drawing
Old 09-20-2009, 05:42 AM   #10648
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Now thats a million dollar question. I have been playing with flex for a bit and have liked some of the improvements but they come at the cost of other traits. The key is to work out the right amount of flex. I am waiting for some new bits and pieces to turn up and am going to try flex from another angle... All 4 posts in but hacked up deck so the car flexes around the middle but "locks up" real quick so you don't lose high speed steering. I'll post some pics and thoughts after I try it out.