R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #10591
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Or you all could run the stock spool like Haynes Schreff and I did for many years and won countless races without issue.
Yeah, kinda what I was thinking. Not as shiny, but I'm not breaking anything either.

Bill.
Lost Aggresiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #10592
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Or you all could run the stock spool like Haynes Schreff and I did for many years and won countless races without issue.
I was wondering when are you going to show up here and slap us with that!
Attached Thumbnails
Team Losi JRXS Type-R-spanked2.jpg  

Last edited by SweepRacingUSA; 09-15-2009 at 03:49 PM.
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #10593
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Had some handling issues tonight with the R, and traced it down to the FF Spool... Same problem as John experienced. Switched back to the Losi Spool, and everything was good again! Didn't have any problems racing the FF spool on carpet, but after last weekend's outing on asphalt, the outdrives got chopped out pretty bad... :O
Proudly Sponsored by Stanbridges Hobbies
Serpent S411
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #10594
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Popped a stock one at the diamond last weekend. Sounded like a capacitor on the speedo popping ahha.

I like my FF spool I've been running it on various asphalt surfaces w/o issue in stock and mod.

But to each their own which is why more than one car exists and more than one option part company exist.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #10595
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Aggresiva View Post
Yeah, kinda what I was thinking. Not as shiny, but I'm not breaking anything either.

Bill.
Until one pops on you or loosens up when you are second in the A main! I'd prefer to strip cups thanks .

I've broken enough of these dam things that I have 40$ worth of diff nut halves in my box and had just taken to the habit of changing them whether they needed it or not because they would break at the wrong time when i was (finally) in a good position on the grid.

To me .... and again MY opinion. I'd prefer to finish high up and change a cup than not finish and have to change parts anyway.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #10596
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
Until one pops on you or loosens up when you are second in the A main! I'd prefer to strip cups thanks .

I've broken enough of these dam things that I have 40$ worth of diff nut halves in my box and had just taken to the habit of changing them whether they needed it or not because they would break at the wrong time when i was (finally) in a good position on the grid.

To me .... and again MY opinion. I'd prefer to finish high up and change a cup than not finish and have to change parts anyway.
If someone were to reproduce or make readily available in the US, all the stock spool needs to be bulletproof would be an alum outdrive with a threaded nut in it. The stock plastic one will and does strip and snap the threads. The FF spool is lighter and that's never a bad thing, but it obviously takes the "fuse" out of the equation.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #10597
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post

I might come down to your local track this weekend to get warmed up for the regional,I will also make sure your out drive is not rocking after each round oh! and I ll make sure you dont hit things see you at the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
If someone were to reproduce or make readily available in the US, all the stock spool needs to be bulletproof would be an alum outdrive with a threaded nut in it. The stock plastic one will and does strip and snap the threads. The FF spool is lighter and that's never a bad thing, but it obviously takes the "fuse" out of the equation.
no I dont like that alum out drive idea, then it will crave after few runs, then we need pillow and stuff same old story, I just wanted to see some one can make mini 4-40 lock nut in to the halves like the one for B4 or xxx-s, so I can adjust how much slip my car should be. but again FF is lighter.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #10598
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
This sounds interesting. I can't picture it though.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #10599
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There was a nut in the out drive on the diffs for the old car. http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/JRXS-pricelist.pdf Page 4 shows the exploded view of the diff on that car and you can see the nut. That may help some of you that are stripping out the plastic out drive. I personally have not replaced one yet, so has not been an issue for me at all. If they made it like that in the old car they could make it again for this car, but I doubt Horizon would tool up for it.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #10600
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

New to the car and this thread, and was curious why some are changing the front gear to a 42t? Also does BMI still make chassis's for the car, and what was the advantages over the factory chassis?

Thanks
bmcallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #10601
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcallister View Post
New to the car and this thread, and was curious why some are changing the front gear to a 42t? Also does BMI still make chassis's for the car, and what was the advantages over the factory chassis?

Thanks
I think the 42 is the box stock setup, and if you want "over drive" where the front pulls the car through the turn you would use the 41t front pulley.

BMI never made chassis for the public for the Type-R, they are special one offs for some of the team drivers for Losi that dribe for T.O.P. now. Schreff, Scooby, Goetter and handful of others i think had these one off chassis. I've seen one up close and BMI does some phenominal carbon work, dunno why they switched you'd have to ask one of them to tell you why the BMI chassis was better.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #10602
Tech Adept

Quote:

Thanks
like it was said above the 41t is the overdrive pully and the 42 is stock. I experimented pretty heavily with my original "s". I ran it in the rear most of the time since it was the only thing I found to fix the balance problem with the center motor car and on-power oversteer. What it does is changes the final drive ratio, slowing down that axle. Having it in the rear will drive the car more like a FWD car, pulling it through and out of corners because the front (42t pully) is spinning slightly faster. having it in the front acts more like a RWD car giving more oversteer.

I havn't seen a need yet to use it in the "R" its pretty balanced already. camber links, alignment, shocks, tires should be tried first.

S&N's Trackside
Blackstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #10603
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:

Thanks
1 Reason may be during the season last year there was a batch of pullies that were shipped as 42T and were actually 41T,since packing has been fixed.

Some may just be converting back. Like Cory said 41T in front will really help car drive hard on power thru the entire corner. I know I have been running the 41T on front spool for 2 years now and Schreff and Larry also have with great results while they ran there Type-R's.

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #10604
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstring View Post
Hmm.. says the file isn' located there anymore. Oh well, thanks anyways
I have the original zip file saved... I will post later.
Facebook: CARCAR
MaxRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #10605
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag View Post
1 Reason may be during the season last year there was a batch of pullies that were shipped as 42T and were actually 41T,since packing has been fixed.

Some may just be converting back. Like Cory said 41T in front will really help car drive hard on power thru the entire corner. I know I have been running the 41T on front spool for 2 years now and Schreff and Larry also have with great results while they ran there Type-R's.
Would it be recommended on a tight indoor carpet track?
bmcallister is offline   Reply With Quote