R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #10516
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
You do not have to remove the the four stand off screws to get it to work on asphalt. It works just fine with the screws where they belong. If you need flex to get the car to work then your setup is off.

There are at least four people running Type R's I know of running the car at IIC. Myself in 13.5 rubber and foam. Friend of mine from SLC running it in 13.5 rubber and Mod rubber. Two guys from Maui running in 17.5 amatuer class. These are the only R's I am aware of at IIC.
Good luck at the race!

car works good on asphalt no dought but car feel more planted with out 4 srews.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #10517
Tech Adept

Hi guys, I've been snooping on here for a bit since I got my R from ebay three weeks ago. I like it A LOT more than the S. I could never get the old car to lose its on power rear kickout, the new car seems to be planted much better. John, I tried your setup from last weekend today for my first race with the car but I opted to use the front diff as the track I raced on had hairpins at 5 of the 7 turns and was ultra tight for an outdoor asphalt track. Second fastest lap, Tq'd and won the main. Jaco blues didn't seem to come alive until two minutes or so into the run but when they did...Woa!

just a note: I stripped the special servo horn and the shop didnt have any in stock. If this happens to anyone else, 1.25" aluminum dynamite horn will work if you turn the ballcup 90deg. The top deck needs a tiny bit of clearance too but not much. Also loosen the servo saver a bit.
Blackstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #10518
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstring View Post
Hi guys, I've been snooping on here for a bit since I got my R from ebay three weeks ago. I like it A LOT more than the S. I could never get the old car to lose its on power rear kickout, the new car seems to be planted much better. John, I tried your setup from last weekend today for my first race with the car but I opted to use the front diff as the track I raced on had hairpins at 5 of the 7 turns and was ultra tight for an outdoor asphalt track. Second fastest lap, Tq'd and won the main. Jaco blues didn't seem to come alive until two minutes or so into the run but when they did...Woa!

just a note: I stripped the special servo horn and the shop didnt have any in stock. If this happens to anyone else, 1.25" aluminum dynamite horn will work if you turn the ballcup 90deg. The top deck needs a tiny bit of clearance too but not much. Also loosen the servo saver a bit.
hey welcome to club R~

I ended up 500 oil, outside shock tower hole on front. with a Sorex 32.

good catch on the servo horm, do you have a part # for that?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #10519
Tech Adept

No I threw away the tag already. The right side (when it steers right) needs trimming on the top deck. You'll also need to use a short neck ball stud on the bellcrank arm. It's a quick fix though, I can't say that it wont cause stress to another area of the steering during an impact.

I would post a picture but I havnt made enough posts apparently,
heres a link to copy and paste to the one I used.

rcware.com/images/Hanger9.jpg
Old 09-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #10520
Company Representative

Quote:
No I threw away the tag already. The right side (when it steers right) needs trimming on the top deck. You'll also need to use a short neck ball stud on the bellcrank arm. It's a quick fix though, I can't say that it wont cause stress to another area of the steering during an impact.

I would post a picture but I havnt made enough posts apparently,
heres a link to copy and paste to the one I used.

rcware.com/images/Hanger9.jpg
hmm that url is not working
Old 09-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #10521
Tech Adept

sor, you might have to add the www the forum was still giving me errors trying to post a link.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #10522
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
sor, you might have to add the www the forum was still giving me errors trying to post a link.
http://www.rcware.com/images/Hanger9.jpg
Old 09-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #10523
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb60 View Post
The IP5000 needs major surgery to fit with steel tray and some for plastic one
well , it seemed to need less than the other batteries I tried with the similar capacities. Offer your opinion to help us out.
Jaz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #10524
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi guys, I ran the car on asphalt today and it felt good.. Started off with soft springs, and decided to move to stiffer ones. Result, the side bit was up, but the outside edge of the jaco blues (rim) got beat up pretty good.

I set the car with negative 1 camber on the front, (with ballstud) and zero on the rear. Both the front and rear had the same result.. I will try to take a photo.

The tires were old to begin with, but I say I got the most I could out of them.. Track layout, 2 hairpins, two chicans, large sweeper, and a second smaller sweeper.

I found the car to be fast in certain sections, but my setup didn't leave too much room for error, specialy when you need to recover if you overshot a corner.

I asked questions about running the thrust bearing without the cage and one advised that the balls could eventually move away from the grove on the washer. I thought that this was a valid point, anyone have issues with this?
Facebook: CARCAR
MaxRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:26 AM   #10525
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxRain View Post
Hi guys, I ran the car on asphalt today and it felt good.. Started off with soft springs, and decided to move to stiffer ones. Result, the side bit was up, but the outside edge of the jaco blues (rim) got beat up pretty good.

I set the car with negative 1 camber on the front, (with ballstud) and zero on the rear. Both the front and rear had the same result.. I will try to take a photo.

The tires were old to begin with, but I say I got the most I could out of them.. Track layout, 2 hairpins, two chicans, large sweeper, and a second smaller sweeper.

I found the car to be fast in certain sections, but my setup didn't leave too much room for error, specialy when you need to recover if you overshot a corner.

I asked questions about running the thrust bearing without the cage and one advised that the balls could eventually move away from the grove on the washer. I thought that this was a valid point, anyone have issues with this?
If the balls on the thrust bearing fall out of the groove then you have bigger problems than losing some balls. Try the xray or McMaster thrust bearings for a better solution to the kit unit.