R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #9916
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkwood View Post
I have been accused of being too skilled in the art of Dremeling.

How's the Spool coming, Pablo? can you work on some front aluminum carriers? I want some 8deg to try for this winter's foam tire racing.

8deg! OMG

what are you having for anti dive? 4 deg? and have a 8deg caster to make a 4deg total caster ?

you can always epoxy that hinge hole and drilled a new 8deg hole since ur a black belt in Dremel. hahahh

Last edited by SweepRacingUSA; 07-21-2009 at 11:24 PM.
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #9917
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Quote:
I have been accused of being too skilled in the art of Dremeling.

How's the Spool coming, Pablo? can you work on some front aluminum carriers? I want some 8deg to try for this winter's foam tire racing.
Im not a big fan of aluminium anywhere in the suspension. I am running Xray C hubs and they work great. The losi C hubs are IMO poor quality. To make the Xray C hubs work you need to drill out your outer holes in your arms and the king pin holes on the Xray C Hubs then do a bit of dremel work. Sounds like that won't be much of a problem for you. Having said all that I don't think you can can get higher than 6 deg.

I will post some pics of my conversion soon. It works great. You just can't beat Xray for molded plastics(or should I say Hudy's secret blend, composite).

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #9918
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_John_wee View Post
8deg!

what are you having for anti dive? 4 deg?

you can always epoxy that hinge hole and drilled a new 8deg hole
Losi makes 8* c-hubs i have a bunch in my box. If you cant find them in the store let me know and i'll sen dyou a package of them.

Curious as to why you need that much caster though.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #9919
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
Losi makes 8* c-hubs i have a bunch in my box. If you cant find them in the store let me know and i'll sen dyou a package of them.

Curious as to why you need that much caster though.
I was wondering same thing, maybe he got 4deg of anti dive to make 4dg of caster?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #9920
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks YmeBP I didn't noticed Losi had composite 8-Deg composite carriers. I'll just have my LHS get them in. If they can't, I know where to come. I thought I searched for them last year when I thought of trying more front caster but I guess I just missed noticing them.

As for the more caster I just want to experiment. With my driving style and the high bite carpet we have during the winter I think it would be really good. Plus you don't know for sure until you try. It could be a total wash but it's fun trying to find the new limit. Never give up on pushing the limit!
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #9921
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks YmeBP I didn't noticed Losi had composite 8-Deg composite carriers. I'll just have my LHS get them in. If they can't, I know where to come. I thought I searched for them last year when I thought of trying more front caster but I guess I just missed noticing them.

As for the more caster I just want to experiment. With my driving style and the high bite carpet we have during the winter I think it would be really good. Plus you don't know for sure until you try. It could be a total wash but it's fun trying to find the new limit. Never give up on pushing the limit!
I tried them and went back to 6, they sound good in theory but didn't deliver. The losi for me does that alot, you try to get a little more out of it going one direction and it forces you back to where you had it last. The best thing I changed on carpet was going to larger hole pistons and thicker oil. settles the turnin down a bit and helps alot with traction rolling.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #9922
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I'll keep that in mind when I test them. I have to wait until the traction comes up, track is slick right now due to hardly no one running on it during the summer except for vintage tire guys and 2-3 1/12th scales off and on during the week.
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #9923
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
Im not a big fan of aluminium anywhere in the suspension. I am running Xray C hubs and they work great. The losi C hubs are IMO poor quality. To make the Xray C hubs work you need to drill out your outer holes in your arms and the king pin holes on the Xray C Hubs then do a bit of dremel work. Sounds like that won't be much of a problem for you. Having said all that I don't think you can can get higher than 6 deg.

I will post some pics of my conversion soon. It works great. You just can't beat Xray for molded plastics(or should I say Hudy's secret blend, composite).
TC3 hubs are a direct replacement. No fiddling necessary.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #9924
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

...omissis...

+1
ciao ciao
Belty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #9925
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Took the chassis as a 13.5 to the track. Wanted to practice a bit, ended up racing.... After countless 4 wheel drifts I finally broke a C hub in the main on the last lap in the second last corner when I made too hard a contact with the pipe. It was my only parts failure. For technically being a rookie in 13.5 touring, it wasn't a bad outing. The car handled great. More practice to come, more fun to be had. The other R that ran last night did manage to get fastest lap, but his car broke about half way through the main when he was spun then T boned by the car behind him.

The serrated edge nuts on the shaved axles work great, the layshaft was perfect and the driver is improving every lap! I still think this car was ahead of its time and has so much more in it.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #9926
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I still think this car was ahead of its time and has so much more in it.
+1
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #9927
Tech Champion

I have to switch my gearing. Way too hot last night after 6 min. I was running a 110/47 for around a 4.5. I'm switching to a 118/43 for close to 5.0 and should be able to reach up to a 118/40 for a 5.4 and temps around 140 to 150 ish on the hot end. I should be able to get down to a 4.8 without switching the spur too.

Sound about right for a 13.5?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #9928
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
I have to switch my gearing. Way too hot last night after 6 min. I was running a 110/47 for around a 4.5. I'm switching to a 118/43 for close to 5.0 and should be able to reach up to a 118/40 for a 5.4 and temps around 140 to 150 ish on the hot end. I should be able to get down to a 4.8 without switching the spur too.

Sound about right for a 13.5?
What speedo (and software version if it's a Tekin) are you running?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #9929
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
What speedo (and software version if it's a Tekin) are you running?
Its a GTB, Profile 1, with Braking maxed and a SS13.5. The whole car and electronics package was purchased used (assembled) that way and is plenty fast for my ability, but getting close to 180* at the end of a 6 min. run. I know its close on temp, but I like them to operate under 150 if possible.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #9930
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Its a GTB, Profile 1, with Braking maxed and a SS13.5. The whole car and electronics package was purchased used (assembled) that way and is plenty fast for my ability, but getting close to 180* at the end of a 6 min. run. I know its close on temp, but I like them to operate under 150 if possible.
From personal exerience the GTB is the slowest Brushless ESC I have used (high end ESC's). The rave at the moment is the Tekin RS or try a SP GT2.0 (what I use) or a LRP SPX. All of these will improve the performance of the same motor you currently use. Advise for software on both the SP and Tekin speedies can be found on their respective threads.

As a note though there is more and more talk of reducing the TC weight limit. Due to this the Tekin becomes the best option due to its lack of weight and small size.