R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #9766
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not sure why you guys have so much problems with the spools. I have been running the same one now for two year and no issues.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #9767
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
Not sure why you guys have so much problems with the spools. I have been running the same one now for two year and no issues.
Yeah it does seem strange the spool problems i am running the same stock configuration spool setup going on my second year of racing.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #9768
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

So I can see why some are switching outta the Type R now. My new SMC 5200 40C's arent going to work in it. There just to tall at 24.5mm. So what are you guys using in 13.5. So sad now. Almost all the new "pro" packs are that tall too.

Last edited by vr6cj; 06-26-2009 at 10:22 PM.
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #9769
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6cj View Post
So I can see why some are switching outta the Type R now. My new SMC 5200 40C's arent going to work in it. There just to tall at 24.5mm. So what are you guys using in 13.5. So sad now. Almost all the new "pro" packs are that tall too.
just grind rear bulkhead down a bit and some meterial from battery tray. also you might need to shaved on inside of both pullies or just get that fire fox shaft.

do some dremel magic you will be fine
Old 06-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #9770
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_John_wee View Post
just grind rear bulkhead down a bit and some meterial from battery tray. also you might need to shaved on inside of both pullies or just get that fire fox shaft.

do some dremel magic you will be fine
Yeah, was in the garage with dremel in hand and nudged the back of the bat a bit and saw that the buldhead needed some too. Just hate doing that to the car. lol. poor thing.

Still got the xxx-s all pimed and ready though. Just thought I'd get two classes in.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #9771
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
for chasssis, we run 1525g at our area and needed to run lots of weight anyway, so with all those weight I didnt have problem making 50/50 F/R or L/R, I run SMC 5K 28c with Losi 13.5BL

dont they have min weight in Austrailia?
The weight here in oz (under the real governing body) is 1500g race ready. Getting the weight and balance is easy too but the weight is spread across the chassis. The idea of a different layout is to have the weight focused in the middle so every change of direction and rotation speed is greater.

Anyway the theroy is solid will have to wait for a prototype to see if there is anything in it. Also will prolly raise the top deck a little to allow bigger lipos.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #9772
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
The weight here in oz (under the real governing body) is 1500g race ready. Getting the weight and balance is easy too but the weight is spread across the chassis. The idea of a different layout is to have the weight focused in the middle so every change of direction and rotation speed is greater.

Anyway the theroy is solid will have to wait for a prototype to see if there is anything in it. Also will prolly raise the top deck a little to allow bigger lipos.
Yeah, going have to raise the top deck as the battery wars continue. I had to dremel the bulkhead(a tad), battery brace and the 5200 40c's to fit, but I'd say, there perfect fit now. No movement and dont hit pully's after all that.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #9773
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know there seems to be a battery war going on but my trakpower 4900s fit spot on no mods at all and plenty of punch. I am howerver looking to get this new modified layshaft for the uture.
tim fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #9774
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

question with the spools.

not entirely sure but i was told the diff set ups are the same between the xxx s and the jrxs

If so do you have too run the two small bearing races in the spool or can i replace these with two plastic bushings from a RTR steering rack i have too help lighten the rotating mass of the spool an hopefully increase some acceleration/punch out the corners. (only running 17.5 class by the way)
ASSociated RC12L4
T.O.P PHOTON EX & Tamiya M05 - currently undergoing rigorous crash testing!
paraletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:44 AM   #9775
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraletic View Post
question with the spools.

not entirely sure but i was told the diff set ups are the same between the xxx s and the jrxs

If so do you have too run the two small bearing races in the spool or can i replace these with two plastic bushings from a RTR steering rack i have too help lighten the rotating mass of the spool an hopefully increase some acceleration/punch out the corners. (only running 17.5 class by the way)
Diff pullies between the XXXS and Type R are different in that the R pullies have a larger hole in the center due to the diff tube. So there is no bearing in the center of the Type R diff pullies like it is on the XXXS.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #9776
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ah ok cheers

i'll just have too try an work it out then
ASSociated RC12L4
T.O.P PHOTON EX & Tamiya M05 - currently undergoing rigorous crash testing!
paraletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #9777
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
Yeah it does seem strange the spool problems i am running the same stock configuration spool setup going on my second year of racing.
Until Fairtrace showed me how to do it, my spool kept loosing up. I've been running the same one for about 18 mos now w/ no issues.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #9778
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
Until Fairtrace showed me how to do it, my spool kept loosing up. I've been running the same one for about 18 mos now w/ no issues.
what da tall one showed you? could you share with us?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #9779
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
what da tall one showed you? could you share with us?
Start with a fresh diff hub, assemble your thrust bearing insert it into the opposite side of the spool, put a little bit of diff lub on the side of the ring that is going to mate with the diff sides, i use a teeeeeny bit of losi purple lube, put the two halves together. you can use a little bit of super glue as mentioned before (i don't because i'm f'in clumsy when it comes to glue) and tighten it down. Tighten it down until it makes contact with the spool pully and then tighten it down a little at a time (1/4 to 1/8 turn) util you cannot turn the spool pully with your fingers and then give it anothe 1/4 turn. You want it tight but not tight enough to strip out the diff hub.

A couple additions i've added recently were the sand paper discs from the xxx series. they make it so the pully doesn't spin as easily due to mechanical friction of the sandpaper.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:13 AM   #9780
Tech Initiate

The problem I have been having with the diffs and dirt is not with the diff balls and d-rings (I run regular ball diffs, not spool)but with the part of the outdrive that goes into the diff tube and the tube itself. Because the outdrive has an open channel where the dogbone fits into it, grit tends to get in-between the outdrive and the diff tube through this opening and creates resistance in the drivetrain. I find I have to re-build the diffs often because of this, the rear about twice as much as the front. I am trying to figure out a way to prevent this from happening but have not had any luck to date. This is the only area on the type R that has given me problems and I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on a fix for this. Thanks in advance.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb!- Dark helmet
Catbutt is offline   Reply With Quote