R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #8866
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know this is the wrong thread to be posting in, but does taking the center ring off of losi, novak, hacker, etc. brushless motors really kept the motor cooler? I thought this was a myth but I can understand why because it exposes the coils and the heat can be released easier. But If you want to run a heat sink you dont have very much surface area/contact on Losi Type-Rs. I tried it one run and I got about the same temerature. This can lead to other questions but the main point I was tying to get to was, what is the best way to keep the motor cool.

- no ring, heat sink w/ thermal compound
- just a fan
- just no ring
- etc.
2011 8-Hour & 2010 2.4-Hour Trans-Am Enduro Champions: Me, Wilcox, Hatcher, Romanik
Andy Crosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #8867
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Crosson View Post
I know this is the wrong thread to be posting in, but does taking the center ring off of losi, novak, hacker, etc. brushless motors really kept the motor cooler? I thought this was a myth but I can understand why because it exposes the coils and the heat can be released easier. But If you want to run a heat sink you dont have very much surface area/contact on Losi Type-Rs. I tried it one run and I got about the same temerature. This can lead to other questions but the main point I was tying to get to was, what is the best way to keep the motor cool.
- no ring, heat sink w/ thermal compound
A guy at the local track does this, he swears by it.

Never tried it though, honestly, instead of removing the center ring i'd dremel it down just so i don't have to caliper mount the endbell back on.

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #8868
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm having some trouble finding type-r one way parts event. I have a one way but the bearings are shot so all i'd need would be the tube. But i can't find anyone who just sells the tube.

Can i use the jrx-s one way and put the belts on the other side of the car.

I took a hard look at it and i noticed that everything on the drive train is reversible, even the cutouts in the chassis allow for the belts to run on the other side.

Since everything is pretty much down the center of the car anyway would this throw the balance off noticably?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #8869
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
I'm having some trouble finding type-r one way parts event. I have a one way but the bearings are shot so all i'd need would be the tube. But i can't find anyone who just sells the tube.

Can i use the jrx-s one way and put the belts on the other side of the car.

I took a hard look at it and i noticed that everything on the drive train is reversible, even the cutouts in the chassis allow for the belts to run on the other side.

Since everything is pretty much down the center of the car anyway would this throw the balance off noticably?

No you cannot reverse the drivetrain. The rear belt will not clear the motor.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #8870
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWill75 View Post
Im looking for a sedan right now and being a Losi fan you know which one in looking at. I went to the site and did not see it. Is Team Losi really not supporting this car anymore? This is what I heard from a few people. It seems strange to me because when I first looked at the the way this car was built it made total sense to me (battery down the center, low center of gravity.) Im a off road guy going on road and I hate to jump ship. What's up with the Team? Is the 8ight the last pro car for Losi? Or are they working on a new sedan that is going to smoke everything?
Please describe what you mean by support? There is a LOSI FACTORY onroad team for this car, there is always parts support and hey look....this thread is pretty much always on top of the forums. I would have to say that this car is still supported quite well.

Our local track had the 3rd leg of the grand slam series and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place cars were all Losi Type R's in the PRO foam class.
DG Designs, Team Scream, TQ Wire
Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #8871
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
No you cannot reverse the drivetrain. The rear belt will not clear the motor.
But i'd be swapping the positions of the rear aluminum bulkheads as well so the motor would be mounted the other way .... hmmm would it have to spin in reverse rotation?

hmmmm

Oh wel it was an idea . .. someone here has to have a one way they aren't using or an old one that is in o.k. condition .... hook a brother up .
Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #8872
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
But i'd be swapping the positions of the rear aluminum bulkheads as well so the motor would be mounted the other way .... hmmm would it have to spin in reverse rotation?

hmmmm

Oh wel it was an idea . .. someone here has to have a one way they aren't using or an old one that is in o.k. condition .... hook a brother up .
call the place ron goetter works....trains and lanes i think it was.....i bought 2 of them, before the novak race, they had one more....

it was the whole kit though....

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #8873
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
Please describe what you mean by support? There is a LOSI FACTORY onroad team for this car, there is always parts support and hey look....this thread is pretty much always on top of the forums. I would have to say that this car is still supported quite well.

Our local track had the 3rd leg of the grand slam series and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place cars were all Losi Type R's in the PRO foam class.

huh? who are the losi factory ONROAD drivers? I know they have factory offroad drivers but onroad? Who?
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #8874
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jason Schreffler
Larry Fairtrace
Dave Graboski
Matt Howard
Dave Johnson

Sounds like enough to have plenty of support.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #8875
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post

You also forgot the fact that I believe it turned fast lap of weekend in Pro foam (Larry Fairtrace) and TQed Pro Foam (Me) and had a good shot at winning the main against Josh provided L.O.F.T. didn't kick in.

I wouldn't worry so much about the car guys. It's not going anywhere and Lipo just made it even better. The greatest part is that we haven't had to change setups much from what we ran the previous year with NIMH/Brushed.

Can't wait for Snowbirds.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #8876
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Yes I'm an idiot, I turned hot laps almost every heat except the main. I was the only one to do 9.1's and I did a couple.

I was on a tq run 3rd round and at about 3 minutes in my car stopped going, An lcd pin snapped from the million other hits over the course of the last year. Doh.

The car is freakin dialed people get with it. 4 cars in the foam main were Type rs and the top 2 rubber cars were also.

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #8877
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haynes View Post
Jason Schreffler
Larry Fairtrace
Dave Graboski
Matt Howard
Dave Johnson

Sounds like enough to have plenty of support.
Heh, on that list there is a 1st place at every major even in the country they've attended. Hell, Larry Fairtrace's dad put it to me at last year's express race in jackson hahaha.

I also notice that there are less and less xrays on the podiums at the club races i go to and more and more losi's, even in vta.

And finally, if IIIII can win or even come close to winning, better stated driving in a straight line w/ a car (any car) it's dialed .
Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #8878
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

Quote:
Heh, on that list there is a 1st place at every major even in the country they've attended. Hell, Larry Fairtrace's dad put it to me at last year's express race in jackson hahaha.

I also notice that there are less and less xrays on the podiums at the club races i go to and more and more losi's, even in vta.

And finally, if IIIII can win or even come close to winning, better stated driving in a straight line w/ a car (any car) it's dialed .
and yet still strong enough to be a roller skate..
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #8879
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Goetter View Post
and yet still strong enough to be a roller skate..
Yeah .. forgot about that ... you want to talk about support, Ron's car supported all 220lbs of me ... when i accidentally stepped on it, i forgot what the damage was but it was light considering ....
Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #8880
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

Quote:
Yeah .. forgot about that ... you want to talk about support, Ron's car supported all 220lbs of me ... when i accidentally stepped on it, i forgot what the damage was but it was light considering ....
Don't worry i won't let you forget.

Damage was a mess up chassis and the speedo came unmounted
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote