R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #8866
Tech Regular
 
Andy Crosson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 275
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I know this is the wrong thread to be posting in, but does taking the center ring off of losi, novak, hacker, etc. brushless motors really kept the motor cooler? I thought this was a myth but I can understand why because it exposes the coils and the heat can be released easier. But If you want to run a heat sink you dont have very much surface area/contact on Losi Type-Rs. I tried it one run and I got about the same temerature. This can lead to other questions but the main point I was tying to get to was, what is the best way to keep the motor cool.

- no ring, heat sink w/ thermal compound
- just a fan
- just no ring
- etc.
__________________
www.hobbyplexraceway.com
Ken's Graf/x | Stickit1
Team Losi Racing | Spektrum | ORCA | Tekin
2011 8-Hour & 2010 2.4-Hour Trans-Am Enduro Champions: Me, Wilcox, Hatcher, Romanik
Andy Crosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #8867
Tech Elite
 
a_main_attendee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Posts: 2,880
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Crosson View Post
I know this is the wrong thread to be posting in, but does taking the center ring off of losi, novak, hacker, etc. brushless motors really kept the motor cooler? I thought this was a myth but I can understand why because it exposes the coils and the heat can be released easier. But If you want to run a heat sink you dont have very much surface area/contact on Losi Type-Rs. I tried it one run and I got about the same temerature. This can lead to other questions but the main point I was tying to get to was, what is the best way to keep the motor cool.
- no ring, heat sink w/ thermal compound
A guy at the local track does this, he swears by it.

Never tried it though, honestly, instead of removing the center ring i'd dremel it down just so i don't have to caliper mount the endbell back on.
__________________
Support your local tracks!--|--e-teamhobbyplex.com--|--corrc.org--|

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #8868
Tech Elite
 
YmeBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,927
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

I'm having some trouble finding type-r one way parts event. I have a one way but the bearings are shot so all i'd need would be the tube. But i can't find anyone who just sells the tube.

Can i use the jrx-s one way and put the belts on the other side of the car.

I took a hard look at it and i noticed that everything on the drive train is reversible, even the cutouts in the chassis allow for the belts to run on the other side.

Since everything is pretty much down the center of the car anyway would this throw the balance off noticably?
__________________
www.skyrocketracing.com quality RC gear!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/555071-2011-skyrocket-invitational-blue-diamond-raceway-october-15-16-a.html <- Great race!
YmeBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #8869
Tech Master
 
Xpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dirt sucks!
Posts: 1,585
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
I'm having some trouble finding type-r one way parts event. I have a one way but the bearings are shot so all i'd need would be the tube. But i can't find anyone who just sells the tube.

Can i use the jrx-s one way and put the belts on the other side of the car.

I took a hard look at it and i noticed that everything on the drive train is reversible, even the cutouts in the chassis allow for the belts to run on the other side.

Since everything is pretty much down the center of the car anyway would this throw the balance off noticably?

No you cannot reverse the drivetrain. The rear belt will not clear the motor.
__________________
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #8870
Tech Fanatic
 
Dave G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Island that looks like a fish...
Posts: 888
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWill75 View Post
Im looking for a sedan right now and being a Losi fan you know which one in looking at. I went to the site and did not see it. Is Team Losi really not supporting this car anymore? This is what I heard from a few people. It seems strange to me because when I first looked at the the way this car was built it made total sense to me (battery down the center, low center of gravity.) Im a off road guy going on road and I hate to jump ship. What's up with the Team? Is the 8ight the last pro car for Losi? Or are they working on a new sedan that is going to smoke everything?
Please describe what you mean by support? There is a LOSI FACTORY onroad team for this car, there is always parts support and hey look....this thread is pretty much always on top of the forums. I would have to say that this car is still supported quite well.

Our local track had the 3rd leg of the grand slam series and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place cars were all Losi Type R's in the PRO foam class.
__________________
DAVE GRABOSKI...Brings his own soap to the track...
Need a body painted, pitboard designed, Custom Shirt? www.facebook.com/dgraboskidesigns
www.dgdesigns.org
DG Designs, Team Scream, TQ Wire
Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #8871
Tech Elite
 
YmeBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,927
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
No you cannot reverse the drivetrain. The rear belt will not clear the motor.
But i'd be swapping the positions of the rear aluminum bulkheads as well so the motor would be mounted the other way .... hmmm would it have to spin in reverse rotation?

hmmmm

Oh wel it was an idea . .. someone here has to have a one way they aren't using or an old one that is in o.k. condition .... hook a brother up .
__________________
www.skyrocketracing.com quality RC gear!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/555071-2011-skyrocket-invitational-blue-diamond-raceway-october-15-16-a.html <- Great race!
YmeBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #8872
Administrator
 
Matt M.'s Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,308
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
But i'd be swapping the positions of the rear aluminum bulkheads as well so the motor would be mounted the other way .... hmmm would it have to spin in reverse rotation?

hmmmm

Oh wel it was an idea . .. someone here has to have a one way they aren't using or an old one that is in o.k. condition .... hook a brother up .
call the place ron goetter works....trains and lanes i think it was.....i bought 2 of them, before the novak race, they had one more....

it was the whole kit though....
__________________
Team Tekin-Proline Racing-Motiv-92zero Designs-Jim Neubert Paint Design-LiveRC.com-TFR-Team Dirt Heaven-Gravity RC-Trackside

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #8873
Tech Elite
 
Syber Serulean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Riverside
Posts: 3,656
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
Please describe what you mean by support? There is a LOSI FACTORY onroad team for this car, there is always parts support and hey look....this thread is pretty much always on top of the forums. I would have to say that this car is still supported quite well.

Our local track had the 3rd leg of the grand slam series and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place cars were all Losi Type R's in the PRO foam class.

huh? who are the losi factory ONROAD drivers? I know they have factory offroad drivers but onroad? Who?
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #8874
Tech Elite
 
Mike Haynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Area 51
Posts: 3,699
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Jason Schreffler
Larry Fairtrace
Dave Graboski
Matt Howard
Dave Johnson

Sounds like enough to have plenty of support.
__________________
Team Associated - Reedy Power - Sweep - Protoform - TQ Wire - Lacher paint
Mike Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #8875
Tech Elite
 
schreff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,015
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
Please describe what you mean by support? There is a LOSI FACTORY onroad team for this car, there is always parts support and hey look....this thread is pretty much always on top of the forums. I would have to say that this car is still supported quite well.

Our local track had the 3rd leg of the grand slam series and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place cars were all Losi Type R's in the PRO foam class.
You also forgot the fact that I believe it turned fast lap of weekend in Pro foam (Larry Fairtrace) and TQed Pro Foam (Me) and had a good shot at winning the main against Josh provided L.O.F.T. didn't kick in.

I wouldn't worry so much about the car guys. It's not going anywhere and Lipo just made it even better. The greatest part is that we haven't had to change setups much from what we ran the previous year with NIMH/Brushed.

Can't wait for Snowbirds.
__________________
-Jason Schreffler-
TLR|Horizon Hobby|Spektrum|AKA|Team CRC|CR Graphics|TQ Wire|Radio Impound Podcast
schreff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #8876
Tech Elite
 
L.Fairtrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 3,746
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace
Default

Yes I'm an idiot, I turned hot laps almost every heat except the main. I was the only one to do 9.1's and I did a couple.

I was on a tq run 3rd round and at about 3 minutes in my car stopped going, An lcd pin snapped from the million other hits over the course of the last year. Doh.


The car is freakin dialed people get with it. 4 cars in the foam main were Type rs and the top 2 rubber cars were also.
__________________
T.O.P Racing - Awesomatix USA - EaMotorsports - BSR Racing Tires - Orca - TQ Wire - Solaris Racing Tires - Side Piece Racing

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #8877
Tech Elite
 
YmeBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,927
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haynes View Post
Jason Schreffler
Larry Fairtrace
Dave Graboski
Matt Howard
Dave Johnson

Sounds like enough to have plenty of support.
Heh, on that list there is a 1st place at every major even in the country they've attended. Hell, Larry Fairtrace's dad put it to me at last year's express race in jackson hahaha.

I also notice that there are less and less xrays on the podiums at the club races i go to and more and more losi's, even in vta.

And finally, if IIIII can win or even come close to winning, better stated driving in a straight line w/ a car (any car) it's dialed .
__________________
www.skyrocketracing.com quality RC gear!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/555071-2011-skyrocket-invitational-blue-diamond-raceway-october-15-16-a.html <- Great race!
YmeBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #8878
Tech Master
 
Ron Goetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Goatsville, PA
Posts: 1,950
Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
Heh, on that list there is a 1st place at every major even in the country they've attended. Hell, Larry Fairtrace's dad put it to me at last year's express race in jackson hahaha.

I also notice that there are less and less xrays on the podiums at the club races i go to and more and more losi's, even in vta.

And finally, if IIIII can win or even come close to winning, better stated driving in a straight line w/ a car (any car) it's dialed .
and yet still strong enough to be a roller skate..
__________________
The Goat... B-Mainer Fo' life
-Awesomatix USA-ROCHE USA-Team CRC-ORCA-SIDE PIECE RACING-TEAM DAK-EA Motorsports-VP Fuel-Trains and Lanes-CR Graphics-TQ Wire-Horsham RC-rugburn anyone?
Shut up and Race!!!!
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #8879
Tech Elite
 
YmeBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,927
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Goetter View Post
and yet still strong enough to be a roller skate..
Yeah .. forgot about that ... you want to talk about support, Ron's car supported all 220lbs of me ... when i accidentally stepped on it, i forgot what the damage was but it was light considering ....
__________________
www.skyrocketracing.com quality RC gear!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/555071-2011-skyrocket-invitational-blue-diamond-raceway-october-15-16-a.html <- Great race!
YmeBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #8880
Tech Master
 
Ron Goetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Goatsville, PA
Posts: 1,950
Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
Yeah .. forgot about that ... you want to talk about support, Ron's car supported all 220lbs of me ... when i accidentally stepped on it, i forgot what the damage was but it was light considering ....
Don't worry i won't let you forget.

Damage was a mess up chassis and the speedo came unmounted
__________________
The Goat... B-Mainer Fo' life
-Awesomatix USA-ROCHE USA-Team CRC-ORCA-SIDE PIECE RACING-TEAM DAK-EA Motorsports-VP Fuel-Trains and Lanes-CR Graphics-TQ Wire-Horsham RC-rugburn anyone?
Shut up and Race!!!!
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FS] Team Losi JRXS-Type R squarehead R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 07-21-2012 12:59 AM
Team Losi JRXS Type R gtxpro2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 09-11-2008 08:45 PM
WTB: Team Losi JRXS Type R shifter R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 07-03-2008 03:30 PM
Team Losi JRXS TYPE-R John Q R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 10-03-2007 06:55 PM
Team Losi JRXS Type R New In Box Canyon R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 06-20-2007 04:50 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:45 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0