R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #7711
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocketRacing View Post
Anybody run the Jaco Blues on there car? I am looking for some input as to why my car was so bad on these tires. They worked on the first run and not on the second, I couldn't get more than 5 minutes on them. My setup was pretty standard to what others have been running on asphalt. High roll center in the front, low in the rear, 17.5 front, 12.5 rear, and so on. The car would enter the corner alright, and than push in the middle and than be loose on exit. And only on the second run. Any body else run these?

RedRocket
Andres Hagen
The blues looked to have a little less side bite than sorex so I would say minor chassis adjustments would be needed. From looking at other's tires I would guess the steep drop in performance from the first to 2nd run could most likely be attributed to insufficient camber & camber gain casuing the outside edge of the tire to wear excessively. Weather or not the tires require more camber & gain that other I couldn't say but that track defiantly did. For comparison I generally run about 1.5f & 3deg rear camber on my gas car but found myself going up to 2.5deg front & 3.75 rear with increased camber gain in the rear for the circuit. My father ran my losi and the only thing lacking with the blues was the driver. For the portland track I had increased his camber to 2deg rear & 1.75deg front from the 1.25/1.5 I normally run. To help with the mid corner push I moved the rear link in on the hub & tower.

I have never encountered a loose anything with the car so i am not sure what to do there but I would start with checking your fr/re weight distribution, I have found that a 50/50 displacement is critical and as little as 10g off in either direction makes the car difficult to say the least.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #7712
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff

Quote:
Anybody run the Jaco Blues on there car? I am looking for some input as to why my car was so bad on these tires. They worked on the first run and not on the second, I couldn't get more than 5 minutes on them. My setup was pretty standard to what others have been running on asphalt. High roll center in the front, low in the rear, 17.5 front, 12.5 rear, and so on. The car would enter the corner alright, and than push in the middle and than be loose on exit. And only on the second run. Any body else run these?

RedRocket
Andres Hagen
That's pretty much dead on what my car was doing at the Jackson race a couple weeks ago. Corner entry was just a little tight, but middle to exit of the corner, the car was inconsistent. It definitely made it hard to go fast. Larry's car, however, was better than mine and he did list his setup in an earlier post. The 6* blocks with 2* antidive seemed to have made a big difference on his car from mine. Also make sure you're running 3* rear toe like he had as well. That will help stabilize the car.

One of the biggest problems with the Jacos @ Jackson is the tire ripping apart or "splitting" on the inside if you will. From the looks of it, it was caused by cars having too much static camber or camber gain. They would wear the inside lip too much to the point the tire would last 2 runs before it failed. I would honestly not run anymore than -1 to -1.5 degrees of camber with Jacos. Especially in the front. I know neither Larry nor myself had wear/splitting problems. We ran them a max of 4 runs before putting fresh tires on the car. New tires definitely make a big difference in hotter temps. If you run in cooler temps, 2nd, 3rd, 4th run tires seem to work fine provided they're not ripped up.

Keep in mind that these findings were only from Jackson R/C. We didn't run Jacos anywhere else yet.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #7713
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:

RedRocket
Andres Hagen
I too had the same issue with the car on exit. I switched to sorex and its much better now. I did make some other changes since the jaco and will try them again and see if it sucks again with the setup i have now.
Jackson curbs, ready for lift off!
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #7714
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
The blues looked to have a little less side bite than sorex so I would say minor chassis adjustments would be needed. From looking at other's tires I would guess the steep drop in performance from the first to 2nd run could most likely be attributed to insufficient camber & camber gain casuing the outside edge of the tire to wear excessively. Weather or not the tires require more camber & gain that other I couldn't say but that track defiantly did. For comparison I generally run about 1.5f & 3deg rear camber on my gas car but found myself going up to 2.5deg front & 3.75 rear with increased camber gain in the rear for the circuit. My father ran my losi and the only thing lacking with the blues was the driver. For the portland track I had increased his camber to 2deg rear & 1.75deg front from the 1.25/1.5 I normally run. To help with the mid corner push I moved the rear link in on the hub & tower.

I have never encountered a loose anything with the car so i am not sure what to do there but I would start with checking your fr/re weight distribution, I have found that a 50/50 displacement is critical and as little as 10g off in either direction makes the car difficult to say the least.

Mark
Mark you were at the race and your Pops was running the same car, his looked like crap in and out of the corners too. Don't try to lecture me about set-up when I had my type R finished 4th. Where was he? Did all this you talke about work for him he was only what 3 laps off the leaders pace?

RedRocket
Anders Hagen

Team West Coast Hobbies
NWIC 2008/09
RedRocketRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #7715
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreff View Post
That's pretty much dead on what my car was doing at the Jackson race a couple weeks ago. Corner entry was just a little tight, but middle to exit of the corner, the car was inconsistent. It definitely made it hard to go fast. Larry's car, however, was better than mine and he did list his setup in an earlier post. The 6* blocks with 2* antidive seemed to have made a big difference on his car from mine. Also make sure you're running 3* rear toe like he had as well. That will help stabilize the car.

One of the biggest problems with the Jacos @ Jackson is the tire ripping apart or "splitting" on the inside if you will. From the looks of it, it was caused by cars having too much static camber or camber gain. They would wear the inside lip too much to the point the tire would last 2 runs before it failed. I would honestly not run anymore than -1 to -1.5 degrees of camber with Jacos. Especially in the front. I know neither Larry nor myself had wear/splitting problems. We ran them a max of 4 runs before putting fresh tires on the car. New tires definitely make a big difference in hotter temps. If you run in cooler temps, 2nd, 3rd, 4th run tires seem to work fine provided they're not ripped up.

Keep in mind that these findings were only from Jackson R/C. We didn't run Jacos anywhere else yet.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Schreff, that sounds really similar to my exprience this weekend. I was running the 3* in the rear and about 1.25 of camber front and rear. I tried adjusting the dive angles of the rear of the car with no luck. I didn't try the front of the car because I felt the big problem was in the frear. It did get way better when I went to the High RC in the front of the car with the low in the rear. I was heat cycleling these tires 4 minutes in and loosing a second a lap and than not able to be fast wiht them again but I had to run them becasue I was not gonna buy new tires for every run. That is why I feel ripped off with these tires. And is why I was wondering other peoples expreiences wiht these tires.

Good luck to anybody running these at the IIC. Good luck.

And I checked my Spool all weekend and it was great if anybody wants to know, ONly gave it a little tightening once.

RedRocket
Anders Hagen

Team West Coast Hobbies
NWIC 2008/09
RedRocketRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #7716
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't think that issue will occur at IIC since carpet is not hard on tires like asphalt is. I will more then likely be way different. I got away with one set of greens for quals and main last year. I am hoping to do it again this year.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 AM   #7717
Tech Elite

Quote:
Mark you were at the race and your Pops was running the same car, his looked like crap in and out of the corners too. Don't try to lecture me about set-up when I had my type R finished 4th. Where was he? Did all this you talke about work for him he was only what 3 laps off the leaders pace?

RedRocket
Anders Hagen
3 laps off is good for him, the car was great the driver belongs in novice. If you didn't want any advice on what to try you shouldn't have asked, I would say your attitude is further off than your chassis.

Mark
Old 07-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #7718
Tech Master

Quote:

RedRocket
Anders Hagen
Anders, I might add it didn't help me that my steering servo had a couple of gear teeth broken off and my rear diff was messed up due to a racers screwed up FAST modual that caused my car to glitch and crash on Friday's practice. The car was great up to that point, but with no replacement servo and diff parts, I had no choice but to run the car Saturday and Sunday broken or not at all. I was able to get it around the track in that condition. The main thing is I had fun.

Pops
jtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #7719
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to K_Spec_RC

I just got a hold of a JRXS (not the type R) and I need to replace the front hub carriers and spindles. I found theses ( https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=LOSA9762 ) but it says they are for the type R. So I was wondering if they would still work. I was also wondering about the sway bar kit and the hinge pins.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #7720
Tech Regular

Yes, spindles, carriers, swaybars and hingepins works on both cars
Fastfreddy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #7721
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Spec_RC View Post
I just got a hold of a JRXS (not the type R) and I need to replace the front hub carriers and spindles. I found theses ( https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=LOSA9762 ) but it says they are for the type R. So I was wondering if they would still work. I was also wondering about the sway bar kit and the hinge pins.
The spindle set & sway bars cross over. I am not sure about the hinge pins but I would assume they are the same too.

Mark
Old 08-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #7722
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to K_Spec_RC

Thats good to hear, Thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #7723
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The spindles have been the same design since the XXX-S. Only difference is they went from Graphite to EA3. So if your shop has that stuff for the XXX-S or XXX-4, you can use those on your JRXS. Hinge pins from the JRXS and Type R should be the same. Only real difference is the arms since the Type R are longer.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #7724
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hey ya'll im a new owner of jrxs r and I'm looking for a setup sheet with a front one way diff rubber tyre on asphalt track. All the sheets I found are for the spool.
bjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #7725
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Hey guys thinking about buying the type r but was wondering if losi was planning on releasing a new car anytime soon. Dont want to buy a new car only to have it outdated in 6 months. Thanks
Rdog is offline   Reply With Quote