R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #6736
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro View Post
Guys, called Horizon hobbies today about the steel tray. The Rep I was talking to said they havent had them for a year now, and many PPL have called and asked for it. Losi is aware PPL are wanting these, but in the reps understanding is that losi may make it again, but not for a while. Something to do with materials to built it....blah...blah...blah.
For gosh sake its steel, how hard can it be to mass produce, powder coated, painted whatever? I suggest starting a email and phone call campaign to get things rolling. Flood there feedback boxes, and call the losi customer support line. One way or another we will get the word across. build it and they will come, dont build it, and see me jump ship for the next MFG who comes out with a lipo optimized chassis.
the problem is that it's probably quite expensive to machine the recess for the pack to sit into. believe it or not, but even if everyone on here with a type-r called and committed to buying one, the quantity would still probably be too low to get them made and sold at a reasonable price.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #6737
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by |JayFlores|2 View Post
hi guys, what shims do you guys use to take out the play in the arms, c-hubs, and rear hub?

thanks
You can use the teflon washers or metal washers or both that are use in motors.
vabroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #6738
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
the problem is that it's probably quite expensive to machine the recess for the pack to sit into. believe it or not, but even if everyone on here with a type-r called and committed to buying one, the quantity would still probably be too low to get them made and sold at a reasonable price.
Surely they have CNC machines in China - hey, I'll chip in the 25c a day wage for a Chinese worker to load the CNC machine for a week.... and steel flatbar ain't that expensive. Still, if it costs double what the original ones were I'll still buy one.
Capelracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #6739
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Demand for this tray is there plain and simple. Bombard losi with emails concerning this, most would gladly pay $50 for this product. No one can tell me a CNC machined aluminum, anodized bulkhead costs more than a piece of steel to machine.
Ya, maybe when it was out before they said, lipo's will never be legalized, and just maybe they lost there butts on the cost of the old one, but now lipo's are legal. heck if 3racing, or GPM could do it, that would be fanrastic too.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #6740
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Calm down and read this post: http://rctech.net/forum/showpost.php...postcount=6649 Ron works for Horizon and I feel pretty sure he knows what is going on.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #6741
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I dont know if this is acceptable, but I posted on this thread that I would pay 40-50 for a Losi lipo tray. A great guy PM'ed and said he had a brand new he would sell me for 45 shipped so I paid him with a quickness. Others can try this if the mods allow it. Heres what I paid $45 shipped for:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
jla8874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #6742
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sweet Jesus, people are marking up the price?!

I'll let mine go for $200.

/gouge
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #6743
Tech Master

Thats what I offered, so... I dont blame the guy. Clearly he more than doubled his money, but that supply/demand dilemma is a killer sometimes. You see other people are willing to pay what I did.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #6744
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just a note regarding the lipo tray. Has anybody thought about adding weight to your actual batteries? It seems to me the place to add weight is at the top of the chassis not the bottom, where losi's tray is added. It suits the roll centers and geometry of the car better to place the load weight of the battery higher. I can't speak from experience only from what I hear and my knowledge of the car. I still run NiMH cause they are significantly faster and more punchy off the start, and I don't think that will change with the "revolution" of lipos. Just my .02 and worth what you paid for it.
Peace,
C
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #6745
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

that tray is a work of art... if they were selling it for $25 ~ $30 i could see why they dropped it.

i design a LOT of steel and aluminum parts, and we buy some good quantity. that piece looks like it had very little profit margin at that price.

ron - i sent you a pm with an idea on how to make it cheaper...
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:26 AM   #6746
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Hey anyone know where I can get some aluminum parts anodized Im thinking about doing my losi in blue.

1/12th Fo' Life!!! R.I.P Mike Reedy, R.I.P John Williams

[-Horsham RC-] [-Jackson RC-] [-RC Car World-] [ Black Out Free 2015 ]
mike ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #6747
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TaJoe5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike ivy View Post
Hey anyone know where I can get some aluminum parts anodized Im thinking about doing my losi in blue.
Shoot LBSR415 a PM he should be able to take care of you.

Joe
Old 03-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #6748
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla8874 View Post
I dont know if this is acceptable, but I posted on this thread that I would pay 40-50 for a Losi lipo tray. A great guy PM'ed and said he had a brand new he would sell me for 45 shipped so I paid him with a quickness. Others can try this if the mods allow it. Heres what I paid $45 shipped for:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Somebody PM me their price! I need a tray!
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #6749
Tech Master

I think you are right mojoman. This is qouting what a guy told me with experience with the type R, "If you run a Orion 4800, with a steel tray, you'll want to tape about 3 ounces on top of the battery to get the car to proper weight and to get the CG high enough that it rolls properly... Trust me!".

Also, I know people think that the 45 I paid for that lipo tray was too much, but isnt that guy thats making the steel plates selling those for 35? An OEM machined tray with an engraved logo isnt worth 10 dollars more than an aftermarket steel plate?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #6750
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla8874 View Post
I think you are right mojoman. This is qouting what a guy told me with experience with the type R, "If you run a Orion 4800, with a steel tray, you'll want to tape about 3 ounces on top of the battery to get the car to proper weight and to get the CG high enough that it rolls properly... Trust me!".

Also, I know people think that the 45 I paid for that lipo tray was too much, but isnt that guy thats making the steel plates selling those for 35? An OEM machined tray with an engraved logo isnt worth 10 dollars more than an aftermarket steel plate?
I agree with your 35/45 statment esp since that one isn't routed to fit a 4800.

I have an OCD steel plate for my offroad cars, if I cut a bit off the end and taped it to the 4800 it would fit on top, you might need to use foam on the top deck that isn't as tall, but this is what I am going to try.