R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #6466
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The best balance of the car is having the speedo, brushless or brushed on the left side, especially since the servo is set off to the right. Abiye is dead on. That is where you want your speedo.

Abiye: very nice pics and very clean chassis.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:39 AM   #6467
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

What's the deal with the one-way. Is there anything special you have to do to it to prolong its life. I've seen one used two race days and it locked up. It's done, finito! $45 down the tubes. Has anyone else had this happen and how do you ensure your one way lasts a long time.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:06 AM   #6468
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigearhead View Post
The best balance of the car is having the speedo, brushless or brushed on the left side, especially since the servo is set off to the right. Abiye is dead on. That is where you want your speedo.

I agree about the balance with the speedo on the left, but I think when you add the weight of all the wire it becomes left side heavy. I'm using 14ga wire and have the speedo (sp gt) on the right side with the wires routed in kind of an "s" curve going from the speedo under the top decs and then from just in front of the left rear brace curved around to the motor. Car balances out with 1/2 oz on left side inline with the servo.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #6469
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbill4u View Post
I am afraid I cutting too much from the lipo, would you tell me how much I can sand or give me the photo of it? thx!
The case is just over a mm thick. I used a Dremel and then finished with a sanding stick. There is a slight gap between the cells and the case the thickness of servo tape.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:34 AM   #6470
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigearhead View Post

I put my car on the balance pin with servo and motor but no Receiver and esc. It was was more heavy on the left side I guess it due to the motor being more on the left.
J@UNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:56 AM   #6471
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Can you use servo tape to scure your servo or can you just use screws? The reason i ask is that my servo got a tab broken of of it last time and i dont know if i can get a replacemnt for it.
racingboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #6472
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to blwn06
Talking lipo

How well does the trackpower 4900MAH lipo fit??
OS/Sworks engines
blwn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #6473
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingboy14 View Post
Can you use servo tape to scure your servo or can you just use screws? The reason i ask is that my servo got a tab broken of of it last time and i dont know if i can get a replacemnt for it.
Most servo manufacturers will sell the servo case by itself. Servo tape is not a good idea. Replacing just the case and mounting the servo with the mounts is the cheapest most efficient way to ensure your car runs properly.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #6474
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

well you all have tested and are saying its better on the left side.so how much weight you adding to the right side to mkae it more even?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #6475
Tech Initiate

if you look on the pictures i posted above, there are six 7g (.25oz) lead weights on the right hand side... if you put them where i put them (5 behind the antenna and one behind the motor) you will get 50/50 balance front and rear as well as left and right... depending on what receiver and servo you are using, your car may balance differently... i'm using KO PDS-2413 ICS low profile servo and the spektrum micro receiver... the car with the orion 3200 and normal body still comes in at 1310g..
abiye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #6476
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwn06 View Post
I run the speed passion gt system with the speed passion 2.5R
the only thing i'm trying to do is get the gearing right, can't get a small enough pinion on the motor cause the motor hits on the pully on the layshaft, orded the prs racing spur hopefully i can gear it right, tell ya what tho, it's stupidly fast!!!
yes the 2.5 is very fast ,on the type R you can run a 134 spur all i did to make it work is that i took a little bit of oof the chassis to prevent the spur from touching it,with that spur i could easily get in the high 13's fdr
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #6477
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Morris,
To drop my .02 in the bucket. I have been running a GTB SS with a 13.5. I have removed the fan and heatsink(replacing just an aluminum cap) and have mounted it on top of the top deck as far forward as possible. I then mounted a Spektrum 3500 drivers left forward. The motor leads I ran right down the middle of the top deck. This has worked well and as of three race weekends I have had no trouble with the ESC thermaling. The balance is really almost perfect and I think the ESC being up on top is helping with the cooling. If you are running less than a 13.5 turn I would be leery of this as obviously heat could become an issue quickly but my experience so far has been good(Knock on wood)
Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #6478
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwn06 View Post
How well does the trackpower 4900MAH lipo fit??
I had to remove the heat shrink from the back inch of the pack or it would hit the rear bulkheads, after that it fits like a glove.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #6479
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugs Bunny View Post
Morris,
To drop my .02 in the bucket. I have been running a GTB SS with a 13.5. I have removed the fan and heatsink(replacing just an aluminum cap) and have mounted it on top of the top deck as far forward as possible. I then mounted a Spektrum 3500 drivers left forward. The motor leads I ran right down the middle of the top deck. This has worked well and as of three race weekends I have had no trouble with the ESC thermaling. The balance is really almost perfect and I think the ESC being up on top is helping with the cooling. If you are running less than a 13.5 turn I would be leery of this as obviously heat could become an issue quickly but my experience so far has been good(Knock on wood)
i appreciate all the info...i am using the airtronics servo with the blue heat sink istalled on it.im not sure which number it is.i am using the micro spektrum rx.i am using 4200 batts as well.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #6480
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah I'm using a KO 2123 and Lipo, but the components should be pretty close. The battery I'm using requires a lot of extra weight that will be made up by Chris Doseks tray when they get here and for know with long strips of lead placed equally along the sides in the middle of the wheelbase.