R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #5881
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

I would give the Parmas another try. I have been running them since they were in testing and haven't had or seen anyone with sidewall problems. Maybe you had a "bad" batch or something. Oh and when someone tried our setup with the new jacos of similar compound they traction rolled off the track on med bite. Just some food for thought.

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:55 AM   #5882
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
I would give the Parmas another try. I have been running them since they were in testing and haven't had or seen anyone with sidewall problems. Maybe you had a "bad" batch or something. Oh and when someone tried our setup with the new jacos of similar compound they traction rolled off the track on med bite. Just some food for thought.
Yeah if you never seen L. Fairtrace's car run with Parmas on your missing something because it is just plain and simple "DIALED" I think it is so hooked up it rips the carpet and leaves burn marks in every corner.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:34 AM   #5883
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Wow, that's high praise. I'll give Parma magentas another shot this week, but I'll buy a new set to rule out the possibility of a bad batch. I want the Parmas to be better, the old tires were a lot more resistant to chunking, and I never had one come unglued. I didn't realize people felt there was so much difference between the two as far as how you build your setup around the tire. Thanks for the help.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #5884
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

syndrome The parma wheel is a bit stiffer, so it will make the car easier to drive. I usually use around 2 degrees of camber, sometimes more in the rear if it could use it...most i have gone is 3. Most of the time i don't glue my tires, i have found that sanding the foam down to the rim will help out tremendously in terms of peeling up....but if you run the tires big then i would advise glueing the seem.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #5885
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I dunno guys... I'm feeling defeated. This car is so fast, but I'm having the worst time being consistent with it. It seems like slight mistakes are much more costly. It's almost as if the car's quick ability to transfer weight works against you if you're not perfectly smooth at all times. :-(
Try making your turning circles 5.5-6 feet and run -20-25% expo in your radio. The way the JRXS is set up in the steering some expo makes a big difference.

Paul
Old 11-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #5886
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracingkid View Post
syndrome The parma wheel is a bit stiffer, so it will make the car easier to drive. I usually use around 2 degrees of camber, sometimes more in the rear if it could use it...most i have gone is 3. Most of the time i don't glue my tires, i have found that sanding the foam down to the rim will help out tremendously in terms of peeling up....but if you run the tires big then i would advise glueing the seem.
Mike,

With the newer "big" wheels, I've been running them how they come out of the box (pre-trued), which is 60mm I think. The taller tire seems to do a little better when the traction is low, so I toss the smaller ones in a drawer and save them for when the traction comes up (usually if we spray). I'll be mindful of the height to see if there's some correlation to peeling away from the rim, or tearing side walls. As for sanding, I generally try to make sure the foam is flush with the rim on both sides of the wheel, which seems to go a long way toward keeping the sidewall intact.

That's interesting about the different wheel stiffness, I didn't realize there was so much variation between the two brands. As far as camber goes, do you guys make adjustments based on how the tire wears (to keep it flat) or based on how it affects the setup? I've heard it both ways.

Just when I think I'm starting to get the hang of this, I get smacked down and feel like a noob again. :-)
Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 AM   #5887
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The Type R is extremely responsive. Try what Chicky mentioned. Should help smooth it out some.
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 AM   #5888
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff

Ditto what Larry said. We've been running the Pro53s since testing back in May. We never had any type of issue with the tires pealing or chunking what so ever.

Now at Vegas, I did glue the bead on the rim just to be safe. When traction levels are super high and the cars nowadays are producing such high side force, there's very little CA is gonna do to hold foam to a plastic wheel. I did not have any tires peel at Vegas out of the 40 or so pair I went through.

When I run at Horsham and/or Mimi's, I do not glue and had no issue with tires. Both tracks are basically medium in traction levels.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #5889
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Mike,

With the newer "big" wheels, I've been running them how they come out of the box (pre-trued), which is 60mm I think. The taller tire seems to do a little better when the traction is low, so I toss the smaller ones in a drawer and save them for when the traction comes up (usually if we spray). I'll be mindful of the height to see if there's some correlation to peeling away from the rim, or tearing side walls. As for sanding, I generally try to make sure the foam is flush with the rim on both sides of the wheel, which seems to go a long way toward keeping the sidewall intact.

That's interesting about the different wheel stiffness, I didn't realize there was so much variation between the two brands. As far as camber goes, do you guys make adjustments based on how the tire wears (to keep it flat) or based on how it affects the setup? I've heard it both ways.

Just when I think I'm starting to get the hang of this, I get smacked down and feel like a noob again. :-)
Don't be afraid to make the tires smaller. Smaller tires are also easier to drive as long as you have enough steering. I like to start them at a max of 58mm even in low traction. I have also run them down to 55mm with good results. Running any tire big can make them chunk easier. You really can't compare these tires to the old Parma's. The 53 rim is a lot stiffer and bigger so you have more traction available at the same sizes as the old one. The car will slide around less and you'll get less wear also so cut them down a little and let-er-eat!!!

Paul

Last edited by chicky03; 11-08-2007 at 09:45 AM.
chicky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #5890
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

If you feel the 2 wheels there is a huge difference in stiffness. I wouldnt run the tires at 60mm. Running a tire that big changes alot of things on your car. I would start them at about 58.5 or lower and run them to about 55.5 or a little less. It still gives you the 3 mm wear range of the old tires. Imo 7mm or sidewall is way too much. It will make the car had to drive and twitchy. I havent run the new Jacos but at the IIC I saw one guy not even be able to get around the track with the Jacos and he switched to the Parmas and almost made the show. I'm sure if he would of adjusted his setup it would of been fine but all he did was switch tires. Tires are a great deal of the setup of a car and switching wheels and foam is gonna make a huge difference.

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:48 AM   #5891
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I can vow from what Larry and Paul are saying. I also am running there set up. At Gate I spoke to Paul and Eli and both advised me to try 56.5 mm tires.. Wham what a diffrence...

Also I glued all 4 sidewalls before truing and sanded edges down to reseal edge..No issues...

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #5892
Tech Lord

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the great responses. So, things to try this week:

1. EXP to smooth out the early steering response of the car.
2. Check turning radius to keep it around 5.5'
3. Parma Pro 53 magenta around 58.5mm to start.

I struggled with setup when I ran the Parmas last time, so maybe that was a contributing factor to the trouble I was having. If you guys aren't tearing them up, it seems pretty reasonable I was doing something wrong. I definitely wouldn't mind not having to re-glue the tires all the time, which was never an issue with the Parmas.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #5893
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Syndrome i usually start tires at 58 for club racing, that is the biggest my car agrees with, but i also run them down till about 54.5....yea they look like paper at that point.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #5894
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What setup changes do you make (if any) as the tires wear down from 58mm to paper?

Someday, I hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.
StewartFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #5895
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFan20 View Post
What setup changes do you make (if any) as the tires wear down from 58mm to paper?
as far as i found out i dont change set-up at all.
but you gotts to make sure your ride height and droop remain the same as the tire wares......

i usually re do my ride height and droop after every round...

hope this helps
morris is offline   Reply With Quote