R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #5416
Tech Master
 
J.Filipow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,678
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I think I've got the gear thing figured out somewhat.

I have a habit, if I'm against a board, of tapping the throttle and letting off real quick. With the low cogging of brushless motors, I can usually marshal myself since the car will bounce and roll backwards. Having two diffs in the car makes this safe, since the diffs will slip and absorb the torque.

So, now I'm running a one way, and the front is essentially locked. Tapping the throttle, especially with all the torque of a brushless motor goes right into the spur. Presumably, the PRS adapter/spurs are more flexible, or maybe because they're farther out or something, but I bet the torque is causing them to bend and strip. That might explain why it didn't happen with foam tires, since I was always running two diffs.

Anyway, that's probably common sense, but I didn't really put together the pieces before now.


I'll accept that as a correct answer.....judges? Can we have a ruling?



(hehehhe)


Well said, syndr0me
__________________
P1 Brand - "Victory is Black and White" ◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

Reedy / RC America/XRayUSA / Hudy / Avid / JConcepts / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #5417
Tech Adept
 
thewholeyearinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 196
Default

Thanks for the pictures guys.

Marcos.J - what's with all the weight on the left side of the chassis? I'm assuming it is to make up for the difference in the weight between the receiver and speedo? I am using an new spektrum micro receiver, but according to the losi instructions, it looks like they want the BL speedo on the right because because the BL motor puts more weight on the left?? Anyway, how much weight do you have on there and can you talk about your thought process?

THANKS!
thewholeyearinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #5418
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 25,177
Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewholeyearinn View Post
Thanks for the pictures guys.

Marcos.J - what's with all the weight on the left side of the chassis? I'm assuming it is to make up for the difference in the weight between the receiver and speedo? I am using an new spektrum micro receiver, but according to the losi instructions, it looks like they want the BL speedo on the right because because the BL motor puts more weight on the left?? Anyway, how much weight do you have on there and can you talk about your thought process?

THANKS!
the weights are to balance the car from right to left and also front to rear (front to rear is actually 60/40)

and yes the brushless motor seems to add a little more weight in the left side thats why i placed the esc on the right side
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #5419
Tech Elite
 
tallyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: palm city, fl
Posts: 2,594
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

60/40 front to rear? so 60% in front? can you pull some corner weights for me.. i'm running basically the same setup so i'd love to have the comparison.. i got to run a few packs down at village and it ran pretty well, but i have shock issues... by the way not looking like i'll be making the september race in kissimmee.. i need parts, batts, and motors, and won't be paid for two more weeks..
__________________
WWW.STORMERHOBBIES.COM helping keep pan cars alive!

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #5420
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 25,177
Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
60/40 front to rear? so 60% in front? can you pull some corner weights for me.. i'm running basically the same setup so i'd love to have the comparison.. i got to run a few packs down at village and it ran pretty well, but i have shock issues... by the way not looking like i'll be making the september race in kissimmee.. i need parts, batts, and motors, and won't be paid for two more weeks..
i got plenty of parts if you are running brushless i have spare motors too
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #5421
Tech Elite
 
tallyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: palm city, fl
Posts: 2,594
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

shock pistons are the problem as my car was used and the pistons had been installed upside down and deformed now they no longer fit properly.. the bigger issue is my poor batts.. running my 5.5 i don't think i made 5 minutes with any of them last week...
__________________
WWW.STORMERHOBBIES.COM helping keep pan cars alive!

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #5422
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 25,177
Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
shock pistons are the problem as my car was used and the pistons had been installed upside down and deformed now they no longer fit properly.. the bigger issue is my poor batts.. running my 5.5 i don't think i made 5 minutes with any of them last week...
i got shock pistons and i got plenty of 5 cell packs let me know what # piston you need
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:12 AM   #5423
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Anybody know the part number of the long ballstud needed up front to use normal camber links? I'm finally building my second kit, and need to get a few things to bring it up to speed. I guess having a foam and rubber car is in my future. :-)

Hey Marcos, I had to dremel some of the rear arm mount behind the motor so I could get a big enough pinion on the Orion 13.5. Orion's motors are at their full circumference from end to end (unlike Novak and LRP that dip in toward the rear plate) and it hits the mount with 47/118. So, we can be ghetto brothers now.

Is 118 the smallest kevlar gear? That's really way too big for 13.5.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #5424
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: bella vista ar
Posts: 869
Send a message via AIM to ERTRACHTER
Default

118 is the smallest gear and ive ran 118 50 no problem
__________________
ASSOCIATED 12r5.1,REEDY MOTOR AND BATTERY, LRP SPEEDO,KIMBROUGH PRODUCTS,BIG DOG RACING,BELMONT R/C SPEEDSHOP, DENNIS LYMAN RACING, TEAM TOSO, TEAM FACTORY BITTER, SCHUUR SOLUTIONS, SIMMONS RACING, TEAM BOOZCRUZ
ERTRACHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:47 AM   #5425
Tech Elite
 
L.Fairtrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 3,746
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace
Default

Yo Syndrome, Schreff and I are working on a rubber carpet with a oneway setup, tonight and tomorrow. We'll have something for you soon. The car is pretty good already, has tons of steering. We're running Jaco's and Jack the gripper to simulate IIC conditions.

Take your pick of ballstuds
__________________
T.O.P Racing - Awesomatix USA - EaMotorsports - BSR Racing Tires - Orca - TQ Wire - Solaris Racing Tires - Side Piece Racing

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #5426
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTRACHTER View Post
118 is the smallest gear and ive ran 118 50 no problem
Jason,

The Orion (Feigao) brushless motors are shaped different than the Novak and LRP. They're wider at the back, and it wants to get hung up on that mount. I haven't tested the absolute limit, but I was struggling to get 47 on there tonight. I have no idea how to gear this Orion yet, I'm gonna try practicing with it Sunday. The LRP was awesome at 52/116. Here's a picture that shows what I'm talking about.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...5&d=1189038553

Last edited by syndr0me; 09-08-2007 at 02:23 PM.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:02 AM   #5427
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Yo Syndrome, Schreff and I are working on a rubber carpet with a oneway setup, tonight and tomorrow. We'll have something for you soon. The car is pretty good already, has tons of steering. We're running Jaco's and Jack the gripper to simulate IIC conditions.
Oh cool! I'm looking forward to seeing some of the rubber and foam setups coming out of IIC. I'll be able to try both since I'm apparently going to deal with two cars now and stop pillaging that other kit for parts.

I've got my rubber car working pretty well right now on low traction carpet. We've got our track setup like IIC, trying to give Sydor an edge. :-D Anyway, it steers like crazy, but it seems just a little easy to break it loose on corner exit. It may just be my unfamiliarity with a one-way though.

Anyway, definitely send it my way when you guys get something going, I like trying new stuff on the car.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:18 AM   #5428
Tech Addict
 
RussB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 736
Send a message via MSN to RussB
Default

ahh, i put the novak 13mm rotor in my 13.5 today and raced it. good stuff... tons more torque and in general faster around the track.

i geared it at 108/47 FDR 4.2ish. 47 was the largest spur available at the track. i wanted to run 100/47, but couldn't get the pinion and spur to mesh . guess i've got to grind out my motor mount slots or something.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:27 AM   #5429
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
ahh, i put the novak 13mm rotor in my 13.5 today and raced it. good stuff... tons more torque and in general faster around the track.

i geared it at 108/47 FDR 4.2ish. 47 was the largest spur available at the track. i wanted to run 100/47, but couldn't get the pinion and spur to mesh . guess i've got to grind out my motor mount slots or something.
PRS sells pinions all the way up to 65 teeth! Can you do that with a 100T spur? I think I've run 50+ a few times.

Did that rotor give the motor more drag brake? I've been meaning to try it, but I really like the LRP, and now I've got this Orion to try.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:32 AM   #5430
Tech Addict
 
RussB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 736
Send a message via MSN to RussB
Default

yes, it gave me more drag brake as well as stronger braking overall. it felt good. it almost felt like a checkpoint money motor.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FS] Team Losi JRXS-Type R squarehead R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 07-21-2012 12:59 AM
Team Losi JRXS Type R gtxpro2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 09-11-2008 08:45 PM
WTB: Team Losi JRXS Type R shifter R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 07-03-2008 03:30 PM
Team Losi JRXS TYPE-R John Q R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 10-03-2007 06:55 PM
Team Losi JRXS Type R New In Box Canyon R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 06-20-2007 04:50 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:48 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0