Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am surprised to read that so many of you have been having problems with the PRS adapter/stripping gears. I have been running the same 'prototype' plastic PRS spur adapter for more than 3 years now and haven't stripped a single spur with it. In fact, I have been running the same spur gear for nearly three years...

To answer the question of 'why run the PRS spur instead of the Losi spur', the PRS spur gears are machined plastic, not molded, so they are stronger and truer. This is also why the PRS spurs are more expensive, b/c of the time and materials needed to machine a gear instead of molding it...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Yeti35
Ok, I have a question since someone brought it up, is all this stripping when running a BL motor? I know Syndrome is BL and a few others here are. I don't run BL and if the deal is you have to have the pinion so far out on the end of the motor shaft to mate up right then there is your answer. I run rubber all the time and have had the adapter on 3 different cars with zero issues. So I say you can't blame rubber, but it could be the way you have to setup your pinion with BL. I know on my brushed motors it does not sit that far out on the arm. I have been running a fairly torquey Hemi wound KD on my R and have not noticed anything. I am just guessing here.

the brushless doest pose the problem its the adapter in my case at least.it spaces the gear out farther than a stk gear so with the added torq of brushless it contributes too the problem. i just like the stk gears there cheap enough an easy to switch an if i get my gear mesh tight its fine less weight for sure
Old 09-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For me it happen with a C027. Its only when I hit a board though... I can feel some slop from the gear and its not from the bearing. I'm using narrow Tir pinion but even with large ones, It does eat the spur on crash.

I also notice that the shaft is so narrow, it bend when I flex the spure... Again my foam car is okay even if the shaft bend a little...
Old 09-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Is it limited, perhaps, to rubber tires? Maybe the added rotating mass in the drive train is a contributing factor?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Or I just crash more often on rubber...

I will flip my adapter from cars and see.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Tech Addict

i use the PRS adapter on rubber / asphalt. i run 13.5 and 10.5. i've only stripped one spur, but that was my bad on the mesh adjustment.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My 2c worth - I have two layshafts that are both slightly bent, got a new one coz the kit one wasn't straight, but it was the same straight out of the packet..... having said that I haven't stripped a prs spur yet, however I've only got to run it twice in the last 2 months australia's suposed to be having a drought, why is it raining on raceday
Worth checking the shafts to see if that's contributing to the problem.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I tried out a prs adapter and gear set but have not used it in a long time as i saw no real need...the regular spur sizes are fine for my needs, and the stock gears last a long time...just dont have the bling...they are lighter also for the gram freaks..haha

I think i have only actually stripped out 1 or 2 spurs in the 3 years i ran a jrxs/jrxs-r.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

stripped my prs last week with a 5.5...
Old 09-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Lord

I think I've got the gear thing figured out somewhat.

I have a habit, if I'm against a board, of tapping the throttle and letting off real quick. With the low cogging of brushless motors, I can usually marshal myself since the car will bounce and roll backwards. Having two diffs in the car makes this safe, since the diffs will slip and absorb the torque.

So, now I'm running a one way, and the front is essentially locked. Tapping the throttle, especially with all the torque of a brushless motor goes right into the spur. Presumably, the PRS adapter/spurs are more flexible, or maybe because they're farther out or something, but I bet the torque is causing them to bend and strip. That might explain why it didn't happen with foam tires, since I was always running two diffs.

Anyway, that's probably common sense, but I didn't really put together the pieces before now.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I think I've got the gear thing figured out somewhat.

I have a habit, if I'm against a board, of tapping the throttle and letting off real quick. With the low cogging of brushless motors, I can usually marshal myself since the car will bounce and roll backwards. Having two diffs in the car makes this safe, since the diffs will slip and absorb the torque.

So, now I'm running a one way, and the front is essentially locked. Tapping the throttle, especially with all the torque of a brushless motor goes right into the spur. Presumably, the PRS adapter/spurs are more flexible, or maybe because they're farther out or something, but I bet the torque is causing them to bend and strip. That might explain why it didn't happen with foam tires, since I was always running two diffs.

Anyway, that's probably common sense, but I didn't really put together the pieces before now.
Good possibility, I would not have thought of that.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

I just got a jrxs type r with a sphere competition Touring Car spec brushless speed control and vector x11 motor. Does anyone have pictures of a jrxs type r with a brushless speedo installed, looking for the best mounting location on the right side.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

Originally Posted by thewholeyearinn
I just got a jrxs type r with a sphere competition Touring Car spec brushless speed control and vector x11 motor. Does anyone have pictures of a jrxs type r with a brushless speedo installed, looking for the best mounting location on the right side.

i tried both sides an decided on the topdeck it has had no ill effects on the handling
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS Type-R-lrp-006.jpg  
Old 09-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Tech Lord

I'm running mine on the right side of the car.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=5280
Old 09-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

here is mine on the right side also

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.