R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #5341
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Well Syndrome, with the extreme pull of that 13.5 you might be able to get away with a spool and actually be faster. Something to think about. I was slower with a spool but it was a regular old co27. I have driven a 13.5 and it is fast, I would try both.
Good advice, thanks. The newer 13.5's (LRP, Novak+13mm) seem to pull even harder than before, so maybe that furthers the case for a spool. Ultimately I need to try both and figure out which is best for me. Trouble is, I hear it takes a while to get used to/fast with a one way, so it may be hard to make a fair comparison.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #5342
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Good advice, thanks. The newer 13.5's (LRP, Novak+13mm) seem to pull even harder than before, so maybe that furthers the case for a spool. Ultimately I need to try both and figure out which is best for me. Trouble is, I hear it takes a while to get used to/fast with a one way, so it may be hard to make a fair comparison.
Syndrome - I thought one-ways were the way to go on rubber/carpet too, but a fast local racer whose opinion I trust has been suggesting to run spools on carpet. He says its just as fast and easier to drive. He actually said if you have a good asphalt set-up it should be decent on carpet, too (at least as a starting point). So that's what I tried on the car for my time on carpet with the Type R. I started with Hodge's Reedy set up (already on my car from running outdoors) and worked from there. I was surprised how good the car was. It was real easy to drive and pretty quick. It was just practice, so its not raced tested yet, but here is my set-up, in post #5291. It has good rear grip, so if you're struggling with that with the one-way, it may be something to try. I hope to get a chance to work on it some more this weekend. I'll be sure to share with the class if I do.

Also, here is I believe the Losi teams rubber set-up from Vegas last year, as posted by Keven Hebert a while ago. It is a one way set that may help you out if you haven't see it yet. Hope this help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Vegas_Rubber_Tire_Setup.txt (691 Bytes, 144 views)
Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #5343
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I always have run a one-way, but have been trying out a spool lately. My car was really good in high grip, but not were I would like it for low traction. I hope to try a one-way again this weekend or when doing some testing during the week. The one-way requires a different driving style and is hard for most people to be consistant with.

I ran close to the Vegas set-up at the stock rubber nats and it was pretty good in low traction. I also had a car set-up with short arms in front that was really good in the lower bite, but never tried it in higher traction.

TLR, Fantom, Horizon, Spektrum, Trackside
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #5344
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

On that setup from Vegas, did you guys not run sway bars on either end? It's fairly similar to what I'm running now, but I'm using 40wt with 10.5lb springs in the rear.

Also, with the 2 degree pivot block in the rear and 1/2 degree hubs, does that make the total rear toe 2.5? I know the car has 1 degree built in, but I can't remember how that's affected by the 1/2 degree hubs.

For my first time out with the one way, I definitely felt like I had some learning to do. By the end of the night, I was starting to feel a little more confident with it, especially since I got the rear of the car planted better. I also have this bad habit of going to the brakes if I go into a turn too hard, which I've been wanting to break. There's nothing like a one way to do that. :-)

Brian, I seem to remember someone saying your short arm car on rubbers was the best they'd ever seen.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #5345
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

No bars on either end. The hubs where the regular way so it has 3.5 degree toe. I ran my car with standard 0 rear hub, 17 front spring, inner hole in rear hub camber, rear shock out on tower, and rear arms foward for the rubber race on low traction.

TLR, Fantom, Horizon, Spektrum, Trackside
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 AM   #5346
Tech Regular

Gah, i should have read your post properly!

Last edited by JRXS_chris; 08-31-2007 at 03:33 AM. Reason: being blind
JRXS_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:31 AM   #5347
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hi all,

I've just put together my Type R and I've gotta say WOW! The car went together better than I had expected, any way easier than my original JRXS, way to go Losi. Just a quick question/query with the diffs. When they are assembled does the diff screw go completly inside the diff tube? mine only seems to screw down as far as the "bottom" of the opening in the tube. Sorry if this doesnt make perfect sense, but I'm sure someone will understand.
$$$... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #5348
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by $$$... View Post
Hi all,

I've just put together my Type R and I've gotta say WOW! The car went together better than I had expected, any way easier than my original JRXS, way to go Losi. Just a quick question/query with the diffs. When they are assembled does the diff screw go completly inside the diff tube? mine only seems to screw down as far as the "bottom" of the opening in the tube. Sorry if this doesnt make perfect sense, but I'm sure someone will understand.
The diff screw is supposed to be exposed so you can adjust your diff tension. After a few runs you will need to tighten the diff. After that it should sit right outside the tube.
Peace,
C
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:51 AM   #5349
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks for that mate, much appreciated.
$$$... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #5350
Tech Addict

does anybody having problem on the gearing? It seems this car can't use 3.5 brushless motor, it is way too hot. Unless I can install a larger spur. I already use the smallest pinion pushing the motor to the most right with 128T spur. I think I should use a spur adopter with something like 132 and file the chassis a bit. What do you think? And who makes the adopter for type R?
ioxqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:06 AM   #5351
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioxqq View Post
does anybody having problem on the gearing? It seems this car can't use 3.5 brushless motor, it is way too hot. Unless I can install a larger spur. I already use the smallest pinion pushing the motor to the most right with 128T spur. I think I should use a spur adopter with something like 132 and file the chassis a bit. What do you think? And who makes the adopter for type R?
Precision racing systems makes an adapter
http://www.precisionracingsystems.com/products/17

you will be fine with 130 spur
or you can make the 128 work if you grind down the motor can about .5mm it doesnt look pretty but you can get in the 11.00 fdr range if you want to get in the 12's to 13's fdr range you can take off a little bit off the chassis and you can fit a 134 with no problems

Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #5352
Tech Adept

What steering servo are you guys using. I just go my jrxs type r and I want the best possible high speed servo. do you prefer analog or digital? recommendations please...
thewholeyearinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #5353
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewholeyearinn View Post
What steering servo are you guys using. I just go my jrxs type r and I want the best possible high speed servo. do you prefer analog or digital? recommendations please...
futaba 9550
Old 08-31-2007, 11:54 AM   #5354
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

yup, Futaba 9550 is da $hit. Lowprofile allows easy room for the RX when running a brushless system... I cant say that for the Type-R, but other sedans...
Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #5355
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchorr View Post
yup, Futaba 9550 is da $hit. Lowprofile allows easy room for the RX when running a brushless system... I cant say that for the Type-R, but other sedans...
its perfect for the type r