R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #5056
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
so what is the shore rating of the cyans or the magentas or the dble pinks?
Cyan = 35/55
Plaid = 40/55
Purple = 40
Magenta = 35

if i remember dbl pinks are the same as magenta but i could be wrong
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #5057
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
no its not a mod only thing, he needs to gear up 2 or 3 teeth up on the pinion

I geared up 2 teeth and it still wasnt there. My car transitioned better just didnt have the power. Maybe I was doing something wrong?
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #5058
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Carey View Post
I geared up 2 teeth and it still wasnt there. My car transitioned better just didnt have the power. Maybe I was doing something wrong?
with the 13.5 and sintered rotor i had it geared in the 3.6 range and it was plenty fast or are you running a brushed motor? run your cells all the way foward
Old 08-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #5059
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

5 Cells seems to be a better idea in 19 or mod then in stock if your trying to run it mixed...in my experience anyways

I have to say it was nice to not really change anything setup wise on the car and have it still working well!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #5060
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
with the 13.5 and sintered rotor i had it geared in the 3.6 range and it was plenty fast or are you running a brushed motor? run your cells all the way foward
Co27. Batteries forward (Corally PHI), and I weighted it to the minimum for Vegas and made sure left and right were balanced.
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #5061
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Carey View Post
Co27. Batteries forward (Corally PHI), and I weighted it to the minimum for Vegas and made sure left and right were balanced.
well you got me there i havent ran a brushed motor in 2 years
Old 08-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #5062
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Isn't the general feeling that the slower the motor, the more voltage matters? Don't we agonize over voltage in stock, but not so much in mod?

I'm sort of struggling with this racing LiPo against guys using NiMH in "stock" (13.5). They're clearly faster on the straights. I can make up for that if I drop a bunch of weight and gear up, but the handling characteristics of the car change quite a bit, and I'm not sure I want to learn to drive that way since it's unlikely we'll be racing them like that anytime soon.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #5063
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Isn't the general feeling that the slower the motor, the more voltage matters? Don't we agonize over voltage in stock, but not so much in mod?

I'm sort of struggling with this racing LiPo against guys using NiMH in "stock" (13.5). They're clearly faster on the straights. I can make up for that if I drop a bunch of weight and gear up, but the handling characteristics of the car change quite a bit, and I'm not sure I want to learn to drive that way since it's unlikely we'll be racing them like that anytime soon.
I believe that is where you are now finding the Lipo is not quite the thing. They stay consistant, but Nimh has a voltage advantage in that class. Stock tends to rely more on voltage then runtime since there is no issue making runtime in stock with the current cells. Kind of another reason I don't want to jump on the Lipo wagon just yet.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #5064
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
I believe that is where you are now finding the Lipo is not quite the thing. They stay consistant, but Nimh has a voltage advantage in that class. Stock tends to rely more on voltage then runtime since there is no issue making runtime in stock with the current cells. Kind of another reason I don't want to jump on the Lipo wagon just yet.
That's only the case if you judge LiPo purely on voltage and nothing else. If everybody is using LiPo, the problem goes away, at least to the extent that people are in the same ballpark with their batteries. In mixed racing, though, NiMH has a voltage advantage, especially at low loads (stock). So yea, if you're racing somewhere that you're up against guys running NiMH, and you have to observe weight rules, and voltage matters, you're going to be faster with NiMH.

The reason you see people get excited about LiPo, aside from the obvious benefits (low self-discharge, low-maintenance, cycle life, etc.) is that not everybody races in situations where voltage is king. Also, LiPo holds voltage much better than NiMH under higher loads, so with faster motors, the voltage issue is much less pronounced, and starts to favor LiPo. In places like off-road (especially mod) and even mod sedan, it's a very nice alternative. For those of us stuck with stock sedans, well... we bow to voltage.

If I went to a big race, I'd buy NiMH (even given a choice) since I'd be there to win. I'm not trying to win in the clubs, though, I'm just trying to improve, so I don't mind being a little slower, the convenience is worth it to me. Plus, the only guy using NiMH anymore locally is a guy that beats us all most weeks anyway, so I'm getting used to moving out of his way. :-) I have found that LiPo+13.5 vs his NiMH+27T is a MUCH closer battle overall then when he puts a 13.5 in.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #5065
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

Quote:
Huh, maybe I'll experiment with it then and see if it smoothes things out for me. I'm thinking maybe I'm using too much steering to get through the turns and not being as smooth as I could be.

I ran the car tonight without any additional weight (LiPo) to try and make up some speed on the guys running NiMH. The car seemed faster in a straight line, and I could give it a lot more gear, but I couldn't get the rear to settle down. It would start the race really well, but get pretty loose by the end of the race, especially on corner exit.

It's probably not worth pondering too much, since most everybody runs with weight rules, and I was just doing it as an experiment. Presumably, with enough setup, it could be made to work, but I don't want to develop any bad setups or habits.
here's how i setup my steering... i start with my dual rate and EPA's at 100%, trim at 0 and sub trim at 0. i put the horn on as close as possible to the manual shows and set the bellcrank turnbuckle to the length the manual shows. i then adjust sub trim so that everything is straight when assembled, ideally not too much. then i adjust the EPA's with the car on the track so the steering is even left to right. i've noticed on the jrxs-r that my EPA's are both at 100% still, not so with the xxxs or the jrxs, and IMHO this is a good thing, that means the geometry is better. i finally use dual rate to make sure i have just a bit more than enough steering to get around the track. i only use steering trim to make minor on-track corrections (after whacking a board...).
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #5066
Tech Lord

Cool, thank you for the information. It seems like the technique you're using is similar to what a lot of people do.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #5067
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys,

I always ran alu rear hubs on my cars. Will losi offer that as an option? I remember running Dynamite hub on my xxx-s.
J@UNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #5068
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J@UNE View Post
Guys,

I always ran alu rear hubs on my cars. Will losi offer that as an option? I remember running Dynamite hub on my xxx-s.
From what I know they are the same rear hubs.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:19 PM   #5069
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

they are the exact same.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #5070
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
So this is kind of a general question, but I figured I'd throw it out here since I get chased out of every other thread. :-D Ahem...

Anyway, do you guys use dual-rate at all, or do anything special with EPA? Since I started, I've used full throw in my steering with my dual-rate at 100%, and have learned to use very small amounts of input to control the car, especially when it's at speed. But, it seems like a lot of guys are constantly fiddling with dual-rate to take steering out. Is it just a matter of preference? I've heard guys talk about setting dual-rate so you do 5.5 foot circles, but I'm definitely NOT in that boat. My car will practically turn in on itself.
Personally, I set my dual rate up so that its got 5-8% more than what i need on the track. I used to drive with 100% D/R all the time, but since switching, it has made my driving a bit smoother, and more consistent. I have my EPAs set up on a Setup Board, with equal throw left and right. I set the EPAs up with 100% D/R. I have seen people with ill-handling cars using dual rate to help calm the car down, but its not how dual rate is meant to be used. Set the dual rate up so its comfortable for yourself. I set mine up for the tightest corner on the track.

Besides, with the amount of on-power steering the JRXS-R can be set up with, I might as well drive the car on 50% D/R and let the throttle take care of the rest!!!....j/k!
Proudly Sponsored by Stanbridges Hobbies
Serpent S411
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote