R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #5026
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasupacat1 View Post
KB
If you live anywhere near IN. My lhs/track has test n' tunes during the summer. Check the addy in my sig.

Iv raced at Summit! I ran the CRL there like last year.. or 2 years ago.. cant remember.. but yah.. been there. Not in Toledo any more though.. back in WNY

I actually pulled a last minute jones this morning when the forecast looked crappy and it looked like rain..I hitched a ride with a little buddy to Rochester.. and ran my car! And of course, blue skies all day.

For not running since april, and only having 2 or 3 days on this version of the chassis... TQing wasnt too bad

My lil buddy Johnny Carey got me in the main though.. he was running a Draked Platinum .21 buggy motor in his PHI (or so it seemed haha) as i felt really down in power.. we diced for about 2 min.. and in the lead= I finally biffed it at the end of the strait.. and oooof broke an arm.. but I REALLY hit it.. so it wasnt unexpected..

Not too shabby by any means.. Car was pretty good. 6 month old packs that didnt look healthy when I discharged them (each had like two cells @ 0.00v) .. and no new tires made for a tough time going as fast as i would have liked.... But cant wait to run again. Nothing to report- setup wise.. car was good.. but nothing overly impressive.

Keith
Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #5027
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

It actually felt more like a .28. It was a good race until your hit. Which was by no means a SOFT hit at all!
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #5028
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Lewd Skywalker

Hi just tried my new Type R last Saturday. Followed the set-up on the back of the manual and it was hooked. Now where can I find how to make the front axle solid. Our LHS ran out of the spool pads.

One comment though, some (plastic) parts are a bit out-of-tolerance. Had to shim also the suspension arms as there's significant slop. I liked it better when I built Losi off-road buggies and trucks before with their "Stiffezel" and graphite material.

Still, this kit rocks! I used Novak 4.5R BL and Peak 4800 Lipo on an indoor asphalt track. It was ballistic and still have to improve the set-up
Lewd Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:55 PM   #5029
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewd Skywalker View Post
One comment though, some (plastic) parts are a bit out-of-tolerance. Had to shim also the suspension arms as there's significant slop. I liked it better when I built Losi off-road buggies and trucks before with their "Stiffezel" and graphite material.
good thing someone else noticed this. who told me it "didn't matter"?
Old 07-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #5030
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

yokomo makes some nice hinge pin shims in various thicknesses. they work great for shimming the a-arms (a little bit when new and after some time they may need a bit more shimming) and the steering rack.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #5031
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

In case anybody was wondering, an assembled diff is flammable.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 AM   #5032
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

pictures???

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:27 AM   #5033
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
pictures???
Oh, I didn't think to take pictures of it. The pulley was just kind of melted and crispy, and started to fold in half. The aluminum parts seem to have survived, but the plastic stuff is a total wash.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:28 AM   #5034
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

Thats a job well done. So how did this happen?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #5035
Tech Lord

Short Answer: I'm a retard.

Long Answer:
I pulled the diff and bearings out to clean and rebuild. I had the diff sitting on a paper towel, and sprayed out the bearings with motor spray (which soaked into the towel). I then set the bearings on a piece of glass and lit them on fire, which works well to burn out carpet fibers. About that time, this weird video for "Frontier Psychiatrist" came on and distracted me for a minute or so. Then I grabbed the bearings and threw them back on my paper towel to spray them out again, and oil them.

Well... I guess one of them was still burning. And the paper towel went off like a bomb. I shrieked like a girl, and flung the whole mess to the floor (tile) so I had room to put it all out. By the time I finally smothered the whole thing with my Liposack (I didn't have any water close) the diff was completely melted and destroyed, along with my dignity. The plastic parts on the diff were actually the last thing burning, and were hard to put out without water.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #5036
Tech Elite

Ill laugh cause ive done similar...

Btw Avalanches are good, I like that track.

Circa 1998...

We were doing a I believe NORRCA regional in OKC. Either way I was working on a rage stock. Im setting up my lathe in the motel room and put down a towel as to not hurt the table. So ive been cutting and spray off the lathe with motor spray. Well, I didnt have a switch on my lathe just a battery with gator clips. So in the meantime the motor spray had soaked the towel. I put my buds motor in the the lathe (come to think of it, it was a stock lathe). I hooked up the plugs and it sparked and up went the towel. Pretty blue flame. I just froze. I come to and put it out with another towel. My buds motor was a little melted on the endbell but later ran really well lol.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:54 AM   #5037
Tech Lord

Hahaha, awesome, glad I'm not the only one. That's my first bad experience with motor spray. I know it's flammable, but I had no idea just how fast it can go up! When it first happened, there was that moment of WTF just happened, followed shortly by panic and yelling for my wife to call 911. :-D

By the way, where at in OKC, RCRC? I used to go in there all the time and watch back in the day, but was too poor from college to consider racing.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:56 AM   #5038
Tech Elite

I started at RCRC in 97, but also ran at Competition down in Moore. Now that I live in OKC my home track is in Enid. I plan on trying to hit the fall classic in hutch again this year as well.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:02 AM   #5039
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCaldwell View Post
I started at RCRC in 97, but also ran at Competition down in Moore. Now that I live in OKC my home track is in Enid. I plan on trying to hit the fall classic in hutch again this year as well.
Ah, cool. I spent some time at Competition R/C with my TC3 before I moved, but never raced. The off-road crowd around here is excited about the Hutch race. I'm tempted to drive down and check it out, just to see the atmosphere.

Anyway, glad I'm not the only one with a motor spray incident.

I rebuilt the car last night and went back to a setup more similar to the kit, with some suggestions Larry made. I liked Rob's setup, but I felt like throwing something different at it for a change. We'll see how it goes. Apparently there's 5 new Type-R's showing up at our track in the next couple of weeks (it's a trend) so there will be plenty of people around to bounce ideas off of. We've got a strong LiPo following locally, which seems to lead people to the R, especially with the weighted tray being available now.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:55 PM   #5040
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Short Answer: I'm a retard.

Long Answer:
I pulled the diff and bearings out to clean and rebuild. I had the diff sitting on a paper towel, and sprayed out the bearings with motor spray (which soaked into the towel). I then set the bearings on a piece of glass and lit them on fire, which works well to burn out carpet fibers. About that time, this weird video for "Frontier Psychiatrist" came on and distracted me for a minute or so. Then I grabbed the bearings and threw them back on my paper towel to spray them out again, and oil them.

Well... I guess one of them was still burning. And the paper towel went off like a bomb. I shrieked like a girl, and flung the whole mess to the floor (tile) so I had room to put it all out. By the time I finally smothered the whole thing with my Liposack (I didn't have any water close) the diff was completely melted and destroyed, along with my dignity. The plastic parts on the diff were actually the last thing burning, and were hard to put out without water.
Holy sh!t dude. Glad you're alright. You knucklehead
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote