R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #4426
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,732
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

So how did everyone do this weekend? I'll be painting a body tomorrow and starting to rebuild the car for next weeks lil race.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:43 AM   #4427
Tech Regular
 
Capelracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bunbury, West Oz
Posts: 298
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
So how did everyone do this weekend? I'll be painting a body tomorrow and starting to rebuild the car for next weeks lil race.
Ran mine with the 13.5 brushless for the first time today (only it's 2nd run) - easily TQ'd , almost 1/2 a second faster than 2nd qualifier and .3s faster than my previous best time. 2nd in the first final after servo saver came loose & I lost steering after the buzzer so settled for 2nd in that one, next final won by over 1/2 a lap - didn't improve my fastest lap as shadows were over the hairpin at the end of our main straight & I couldn't see the corner properly (more carrots methinks!)

I LOOOVVVEEE THIS CAR!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Team Losi JRXS Type-R-2007-type-r.jpg  
Capelracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #4428
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 61
Default

Where can I get a good heatsink for the motor on my Type R? Also I was wondering, does anyone know of a heatsink that replaces the timing ring on a novak motor?
Myhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #4429
Tech Elite
 
squarehead's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 4,210
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myhre View Post
Where can I get a good heatsink for the motor on my Type R? Also I was wondering, does anyone know of a heatsink that replaces the timing ring on a novak motor?

Novak makes one.

Works fantastic, too. I ran mine on a 4.5R in 80+ temps with track temps over 100. I had geared my JRXS-R 4-5 teeth over the suggested Losi gearing with a sintered rotor, and it came off all day below 150. You can add electric fans to those heatsinks if you need to, but I would doubt you would.

The only downside in this car is it is a PAIN to get the motor into the car. You need to essentially remove the entire rear bulkhead to get it in. But at least you won't be pulling it in and out of the car all the time to cut comms or replace brushes or anything.

AFAIK, the timing ring on a Novak brushless is NOT replaceable at all.
__________________
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.

Last edited by squarehead; 11-29-2010 at 03:59 PM.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #4430
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 61
Default

ah, so that heatsink just slides ove the motor. I was thinking that there may be one that replaced the timing ring. You can slide the timing ring if you take the endbell off, the one closest to the end shaft. I found this off when swapping my bonded rotor to a sintered.

also those purple screws are awesome. Where did you get those? And what spur gear setup are you using? Is that a 64pitch? lol sorry for all the questions. I just started going through this thread. I'm sure I'll learn a lot.
Myhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #4431
Tech Elite
 
squarehead's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 4,210
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myhre View Post
ah, so that heatsink just slides ove the motor. I was thinking that there may be one that replaced the timing ring. You can slide the timing ring if you take the endbell off, the one closest to the end shaft. I found this off when swapping my bonded rotor to a sintered.
I think you may be using the wrong terminology for motor parts. The timing ring is on the end of the motor, next to the solder tabs. On the 10.5 and 13.5 they are different colors (orange, blue, yellow, etc.), and they cannot be replaced and/or moved at all. You may be talking about the center sleeve on the motor, which can be removed. This heatsink replaces that sleeve completely as the new heatsink becomes a part of the motor after it is installed.



Quote:
also those purple screws are awesome. Where did you get those? And what spur gear setup are you using? Is that a 64pitch? lol sorry for all the questions. I just started going through this thread. I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

Great thread to spend some time going through. There is a lot of GREAT information here.

The purple and stainless screws are from Fastener Express. Fantastic company to deal with. I can't recommend them enough. Be careful, though, you could easily spent a lot of money there and not even know how you did it.

The spur is a PRS 128t 64-pitch spur. It's on the car using the PRS adapter discussed a few posts ago. It allows you to use any spur on the car and not have to use the funky Kevlar (noisy) Losi spurs.


HTH,


doug
__________________
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #4432
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
I think you may be using the wrong terminology for motor parts. The timing ring is on the end of the motor, next to the solder tabs. On the 10.5 and 13.5 they are different colors (orange, blue, yellow, etc.), and they cannot be replaced and/or moved at all. You may be talking about the center sleeve on the motor, which can be removed. This heatsink replaces that sleeve completely as the new heatsink becomes a part of the motor after it is installed.
Doug, where'd you get the shielding for your sensor harness? That looks like the fancy stuff I use to get signal from my DAC to my headphone amp. :-) Stupid $150 boutique cables! :-(
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #4433
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 605
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Doug, where'd you get the shielding for your sensor harness? That looks like the fancy stuff I use to get signal from my DAC to my headphone amp. :-) Stupid $150 boutique cables! :-(
expandable sleeving. I got mine from my local Fry's Electronics Doug can fill you in where he got his.

here is a link to it. no black in 1/8" or 1/4"
http://www.svc.com/sleeving-flexo-pet-sleeving.html

Last edited by smojoe; 06-10-2007 at 01:14 PM.
smojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #4434
Tech Elite
 
squarehead's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 4,210
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Default

Yeah, I got a full kit of a bunch of different sizes from MicroCenter locally. It was regularly priced at like $30 for the kit (with zip ties, heat shrink and expanda-sheilds), but I got my kit for $8. I've done 6 different motors so far and have a ton left.
__________________
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #4435
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
Yeah, I got a full kit of a bunch of different sizes from MicroCenter locally. It was regularly priced at like $30 for the kit (with zip ties, heat shrink and expanda-sheilds), but I got my kit for $8. I've done 6 different motors so far and have a ton left.
Oh cool, there's a MicroCenter just up the road. Thanks to both of you for the info.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #4436
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
I think you may be using the wrong terminology for motor parts. The timing ring is on the end of the motor, next to the solder tabs. On the 10.5 and 13.5 they are different colors (orange, blue, yellow, etc.), and they cannot be replaced and/or moved at all. You may be talking about the center sleeve on the motor, which can be removed. This heatsink replaces that sleeve completely as the new heatsink becomes a part of the motor after it is installed.
doug

ah, your totally right. I was talking about the center sleeve and calling it by the wrong name.

also, where is a good place to buy that spur gear adapter setup? I've been getting most of my stuff through losipartshouse.com. I havn't really found many other places that sell Type R stuff.
Myhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #4437
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myhre View Post
ah, your totally right. I was talking about the center sleeve and calling it by the wrong name.

also, where is a good place to buy that spur gear adapter setup? I've been getting most of my stuff through losipartshouse.com. I havn't really found many other places that sell Type R stuff.
If you look back about a page, there's some talk about the PRS spur adapter which will let you use other gears.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #4438
Tech Elite
 
schreff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,015
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff
Default Express Race Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTRACHTER View Post
WHAT UP JUST WANTED TO SAY GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE BOYS AT THE EXPRESS RACE GO LOSI
Yo Yo Jay!

Well, the 3rd Annual Express Paved On-Road Champs is in the books. Larry Fairtrace and myself had a heck of a weekend. I have to hand it to Larry. We've been working on our setups at Jackson R/C and he hit it last week during practice. As I migrated to his setup, with my own little changes, the car was dialed. Larry's car was better on cooler track temps, mine was better on warmer temps. Larry, thanks again man.

In both Stock and 19t, I TQed and Won. Larry finished 2nd in both as well. A Losi sweep for this weekend.

I will say this.. Last year at the Express race '06, I ran a T2 (obviously before running for Losi). I had an awesome setup on that car and didn't think I could have a "better" car than that. Boy was I wrong. The Type R was soo smooth and holy steering.

As for the setup... if we only had an editable PDF. I'll work on posting it tomorrow. I'll bet money, that when people see the setup, they'll have this face...
__________________
-Jason Schreffler-
TLR|Horizon Hobby|Spektrum|AKA|Team CRC|CR Graphics|TQ Wire|Radio Impound Podcast
schreff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #4439
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,545
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreff View Post
Yo Yo Jay!

Well, the 3rd Annual Express Paved On-Road Champs is in the books. Larry Fairtrace and myself had a heck of a weekend. I have to hand it to Larry. We've been working on our setups at Jackson R/C and he hit it last week during practice. As I migrated to his setup, with my own little changes, the car was dialed. Larry's car was better on cooler track temps, mine was better on warmer temps. Larry, thanks again man.

In both Stock and 19t, I TQed and Won. Larry finished 2nd in both as well. A Losi sweep for this weekend.

I will say this.. Last year at the Express race '06, I ran a T2 (obviously before running for Losi). I had an awesome setup on that car and didn't think I could have a "better" car than that. Boy was I wrong. The Type R was soo smooth and holy steering.

As for the setup... if we only had an editable PDF. I'll work on posting it tomorrow. I'll bet money, that when people see the setup, they'll have this face...
Congrats to you and Larry. That's killer. I am venturing out next weekend to run some rubber tires for the first time "EVER". It's a parking lot track... PM some pointers
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #4440
Tech Elite
 
DENNIS STORTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Horsham
Posts: 2,400
Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS STORTI
Default

yeah i gotta say schreff an big sac had the losi's rollin
good job guys u deserve the 1 2 finish
DENNIS STORTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FS] Team Losi JRXS-Type R squarehead R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 07-21-2012 12:59 AM
Team Losi JRXS Type R gtxpro2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 09-11-2008 08:45 PM
WTB: Team Losi JRXS Type R shifter R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 07-03-2008 03:30 PM
Team Losi JRXS TYPE-R John Q R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 10-03-2007 06:55 PM
Team Losi JRXS Type R New In Box Canyon R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 06-20-2007 04:50 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:55 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0