R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #3166
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking

It pains us to have to even share this info...but it has to be done, and we know T. Hodge and team LoSi are hearing and have begun to work on this ASAP. Something will be done about it. In the mean time its just dealing with issue and try to drive as careful and conservatively as possible and hope for the best...that's the only issue I have noticed with my buddy's car. Other than that its damn quick and easy to work on, very easy to drive- its so precise and agile that it makes one feel like the a Todd Hodge out there in the track...untill we just get close to the edges or tap something and there goes an arm...and I think is those axles! They are way too long with long arms. Maybe cutting them 3-4mm?

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #3167
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Concerning the axle thing... one thing I DID learn with the RDX is that it HATED dish wheels where the axle and axle nut didn't sit below the surface of the wheel/tire face. I had 99% of my axle/arm/c-hub breakage issues using SpeedMind wheels that were more dished and not flat, and allowed the axle nut to catch on boards and corners and leverage sever breakage to the extremities of the car.

Once I got rid of wheels that didn't shield the axle nuts, my problems were almost eliminated, but by then I was beaten and battered and gave up on carpet TCs.

FWIW.
That's what my buddy runs! Sorex 32R pre-glued tires!!! What tires/wheels do you recommend that will help cover the axles more?

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #3168
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Has anybody experimented with 6 degree hubs on the kit setup yet? Looks like we're sticking with foam locally for a while, so I'll keep refining that setup for now.
I have these on my car and compared to my last chassis, this car has tons of mid-corner steering and exit speed = lots-o-corner-speed.

Last edited by duckman996; 04-12-2007 at 09:36 PM.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #3169
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If a new arm is ultimately the answer, I'd say you know where to look for durability testing before it comes to market. :-D
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #3170
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
I have these on my car and compared to my last chassis, this car has tons of mid-corner and exit steering - lots-o-corner-speed.
Sweet, thanks. I'll give it a try this week.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #3171
Tech Regular

Are there any other arms that will fit, even with a few mods. When I had an Xray, I never broke anything. even cartwheeling down the straight the wrong way...

I might see if I can get some xray arms to fit...

Maybe Losi will recall all the EA3 arms and send us out the "new improved" arms when they are ready.
Supernova
Nomadio
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 PM   #3172
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hodge
Have you broke front or rear arms? Have you upgraded to a P Dub bumper or a Parma bumper. I wish the car could have came with a stiffer bumper. This is what we raced all season and we did not have production arms be this fragile.

Trust me the pro's hit stuff....really hard. I am just wondering if the stiffer foam bumper is helping?
I have the Kydex bumper and P-Dub bumper on my car and it did not help. Barely taped a board with the front and broke my second front arm. Moved over to let a faster car by and touched a flapper and broke a rear arm. They are very fragile at this point.

I have the JRX-S graphite short arms on the car front and rear now and I can be alot more aggressive and I dont have to worry about taping a board and braking an arm. They take a very good shot and keep on moving.

I hope this problem can be resolved quickly.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #3173
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default OFF THE SUBJECT

WANNA RACE? CHECK OUT THIS NEW TRACK!

www.rchobbiesraceway.com

the thread for the track is tittledholy crapshaith what a facility
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #3174
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I really can't belive that the arms are breaking soo easily...maybe it was a bad batch or something They honestly have held up IMO way better then graphite, i have borken i think 2 of them since i started using the long arms in october.

If you cut the excess material off the axle's you would break less...sometimes the overhang snags up on a board during a brush, and that is the worst kind of impact.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #3175
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Have you broke front or rear arms? Have you upgraded to a P Dub bumper or a Parma bumper. I wish the car could have came with a stiffer bumper. This is what we raced all season and we did not have production arms be this fragile.

Trust me the pro's hit stuff....really hard. I am just wondering if the stiffer foam bumper is helping?
I have a PDub on mine but the way I broke mine the bumper was gonna do no good. Mine happened in my house while trying to get my setup complete as far as steering and such. I caught the rear tire, not axle, on a banister post and it just snapped. It was not a very hard hit at all as far as I was concerned. I hit stuff harder in my old car at speed. I am just wondering if you continue to use the EA3 plastic, could the arms be made beefier? It was the hub holes that just snapped on mine.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #3176
Tech Lord

Can the same molds be used to create graphite and EA3 pieces? If so, maybe going back to graphite might work for some people?

I hate to see this, because it was massively damaging to the RDX's reputation. It would be a shame for something so simple to soil the reputation of an otherwise awesome car.

I guess I've been lucky with arms so far... which means I'll break 18 next club race now that I've mentioned it. Hopefully those spares show up soon.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #3177
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB
Maybe Losi will recall all the EA3 arms and send us out the "new improved" arms when they are ready.
If so they owe me . I have my axles cut down to where the nylon in the nuts barely comes up to them. I am waiting for P-Dub to send me my new bumper, but it is back ordered till Monday. Hopefully it will be here before next Saturday. Glad to hear some guys are having good-luck though.
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:17 AM   #3178
Tech Lord

I carved some new front arms out of rice cakes. I'll let you guys know how they hold up.

If I lower the front diff, I should get more traction (steering) at that end, right?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:35 AM   #3179
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasupacat1
I broke an arm the other week. Wasn't a hard it either. I don't think the EA3 compound is the problem though. The new arm just has less "meat" than the short Jrxs arms. Compare the two and you can easily see why the new arms aren't as tough. Hopefully Losi will address this and beef up the arms in strategic areas.
Like I said above. I don't think it's the material. I ran my XXXcR last season on the very rough outdoor track in my sig. and only broke 1 front arm. I'm not the best driver either. Why are people complaining about this compound? The arm just needs more meat in areas. Get a short arm and a long arm and compare. If it was molded in graphite it would still break.
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #3180
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Why of course they HELP!!
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote