R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #3121
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35
I am real impressed with these new arms. I was messin around in my house after I finally got my setup straightened out, caught the rear tire on a banister support and it just snapped a rear arm. It seemed to me like it broke way too easily. I have some waiting for me at the LHS. So at least I don't have to wait, but I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

I snapped a rear in the same way, just driving it slowly round the lounge floor, adjusting steering trim. Arm came right off, without much resistance. Ive since orderd 2 complete sets of the graphite arms. Hopefully they will get here soon, car has been busted for about 2 weeks and hasnt even had had a proper run yet.
Supernova
Nomadio
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #3122
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default edward, how much front toe-out is that?

too much thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #3123
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

hopefully losi will revisit the a-arms in the very near future. with the ease that they're breaking, and that it's fronts and rears, it sounds like a materials issue.

personally i think the reliefs cut into the front arms, especially at the rear of the arm, might be a contributor.

a material issue could also be why some of the factory drivers who have been running pre-production cars for a while now haven't had problems. production kits probably have a different production run of arms.

but that's just years of mechanical / manufacturing engineering thinking out loud...
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #3124
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

with all that im hearing and seeing here, indeed losi needs to revisit the amrs issue. maybe going back to graphite is an option ... maybe the two pounts raised Russ is the issue ... in the end i hope it is resolved. dont want an rdx experience with the type-r.

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #3125
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Are any of you guys that are breaking arms (front) using the Parma bumper?

When I had my RDX - and even the '007, I was breaking the odd arm as well... when I added the Parma (or P--Dub) bumper to both cars, the arm breakage almost completely stopped. I just got the Parma bumper for the Type R from Horizon - I'll let you guys know how it works for me after this weekend.

Last edited by duckman996; 04-11-2007 at 11:00 PM.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #3126
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've got about 15 runs on mine with the PDub bumper (haven't installed the brp yet) and haven't broken anything. I've had a few solid hits, but they've been head on for the most part. I watched another guy at the track trash a front arm with a glancing blow.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:39 PM   #3127
Tech Addict

i'm running the p-dub bumper. i ran it on my jrxs as well.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #3128
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
Are any of you guys that are breaking arms (front) using the Parma bumper?

When I had my RDX - and even the '007, I was breaking the odd arm as well... when I added the Parma (or P--Dub) bumper to both cars, the arm breakage almost completely stopped. I just got the Parma bumper for the Type R from Horizon - I'll let you guys know who it works after this weekend.
Bumper would not have done much to protect my rear arm the way it happened. I do have a PDub and had them on my old cars as well. It was not even a hard hit and it just snapped. I actually was on the brake when it hit. If I knew it would not bork the hole setup up, I would switch out to the old arms since they seemed to be a bit stronger. I am not sold on the EA3 stuff and noticed at my local dirt track people with XXXCR's are either dumpin them for B4's or switchin out all the EA3 parts with the graphite stuff. They have been breakin chassis's like you would not believe. I don't want any part of these arms if they are gonna be that bad. Either improve the material or go back to what worked before.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #3129
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
I've got about 15 runs on mine with the PDub bumper (haven't installed the brp yet) and haven't broken anything. I've had a few solid hits, but they've been head on for the most part. I watched another guy at the track trash a front arm with a glancing blow.
I broke a front arm with a "slight-tap" as well last week... I hope the bumper stops this as I really like the way the car handles on the track. I do have a full set of graphite arms at bay just incase.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #3130
Tech Master

Quote:
Bumper would not have done much to protect my rear arm the way it happened. I do have a PDub and had them on my old cars as well. It was not even a hard hit and it just snapped. I actually was on the brake when it hit. If I knew it would not bork the hole setup up, I would switch out to the old arms since they seemed to be a bit stronger. I am not sold on the EA3 stuff and noticed at my local dirt track people with XXXCR's are either dumpin them for B4's or switchin out all the EA3 parts with the graphite stuff. They have been breakin chassis's like you would not believe. I don't want any part of these arms if they are gonna be that bad. Either improve the material or go back to what worked before.
Since EA3 is more of a plastic - maybe boiling them will help? I'm gonna try with one set once my spares arive (this week I hope)... has anyone else tried boiling the arms to make them a little more flexible? Worst case scenario, I can add some broken X-Ray C-hubs and some corally arms and have a nice soup.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #3131
Tech Addict

Quote:
to be perfectly honest with you, the only ea3 parts left on my car are the steering bellcranks and the rear a-arms. the only reason the rear arms are still on is the length. i changed the rest mostly because of setup changes, but i did strip out a steering knuckle by accident.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #3132
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Are there graphite arms that directly replace the EA3 arms without having to change wheel base or whatever? It might be worth having some on hand to see if they do any better.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #3133
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The graphite arms as far as I know are just the ones off the old car. You would have to have the LCD and CVD's from that car to make the new arms work. They are shorter then the current arms but are able to be used as a tuning option on the new car.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #3134
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You can run the old arms with the same LCD or RVD from the R. Just use the outside hole on the suspension mounts for the short arm.

TLR, Fantom, Horizon, Spektrum, Trackside
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #3135
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Rob, you planning on heading to WOH frequently on Wednesdays? Time is VERY limited right now but I might be able to squeeze out a Wednesday here and there.

Give me a shout bro.

Blake
Blake,

Probably not. I just went on vacation starting today. I work every Weds. night, but I will take a Weds. off here and there. I will get you my set up from there. My car was REALLY good tonight.
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote