R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #3061
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I always just used motor spray.. but it has been a while since the last time my tires got so gummy they needed to be cleaned.

KB
Old 04-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #3062
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

our LHS ran out of the spool pads, will the make-shift pads made out of sandpaper last?

also, im currently building my type-r, any build tips?

thanks - jason
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #3063
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana
Be very careful when using Denatured alcohol it burns clear!! So If you smoke do yourself a favor and light up after using it.

I have had a very close call with it.

Thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of that! DOH!
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #3064
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti
I always just used motor spray.. but it has been a while since the last time my tires got so gummy they needed to be cleaned.

KB
We are supposed to run nothing but Paragon Ground Effects on our carpet and it is brand new CRC Ozite and we have only raced on it for 3 weekends and the tires get really gummed up. My friends chassis was hitting the ground and after a run or two it looked like someone used roofing tar on the bottom of his chassis. I can start off the day basically compounding the tires once in practice and just use lighter fluid the rest of the day, because as soon as you set the car on the ground it will be tacky again.
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #3065
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

I have the spool pads and I replaced them for the diff balls. Do i also take out the diff rings as well? Also, when i tightened down the screw, and after I put it in the car, there is a very tight movement, like a diff, but you have to twist the tires hard in order to feel it. Is this normal?

Chris

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #3066
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I will be running on a medium bite carpet track this Wednesday. I believe everyone is planning to run stock. I will post my final set up and results...
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #3067
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL_XXX-S_racer
I have the spool pads and I replaced them for the diff balls. Do i also take out the diff rings as well? Also, when i tightened down the screw, and after I put it in the car, there is a very tight movement, like a diff, but you have to twist the tires hard in order to feel it. Is this normal?

Chris
you need to leave the diff rings in, but wipe off any grease on the surfaces of them that will touch the spool pads. it goes together just like a diff, but without the balls. when you tighten the diff down, you want to get it tight enough that it doesn't slip under hard acceleration or braking, but not so tight that it can't slip in a crash. too tight and you could snap the diff screw
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:50 AM   #3068
Tech Master

Hi
Ran my 'R' yesterday for the first time and was impressed with initial virgin run but was gental with her as it was her first time as it was mine
I ran the car as the rubber setup in per the manual, but found that the car was a little to soft all round as it was leaning left to ight far to much and was lazy, and the rear of the chassis was getting scratched up. My main problem was tires, I had no new ones so was not able to see how it would handle properly, but on the first round out I was only .5 a lap off the big boys so with a new car I was happy with this. Went out for the second run and stood the rear shocks up one hole and felt the car was better balanced. then in round 3, the inevitable happened, someone in front of me crashed and did not call it, and I hit him hard and broke the N/S/F wishbone, with no spares I put on the short arms of the JRX-S and decided to go with the kit springs and Sorex 32's (old) the car was a pig and pushed everywhere. One of the modified drivers Kevin Brunsden ran the car with high rear roll centre with kit springs and his car was awsome he was 2nd on the grid in the A, and won the A by a 3rd of a lap. I tried raising the rear roll centre but with short arms in the front and the car rotated better but felt strange with the short arms. Kevin reckoned that raising the rear roll centre did not take any of the balance away from his car. I know of one other person that raised the rear roll centre on the day, and he to said it did not coprimise the balance of the car. Hope this is of help to any of you out there with the 'R'

I am going to a new track next weekend, with NEW tyers, and hopefully some new wishbones as long as they dont take '2 WEEKS' to get here
Malc

PS
I will be making a CCF for this car as the fans IMO do not sit where optimal air flow should be.
TCCFM
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:03 AM   #3069
Tech Master

Default ha ha

Take a peak

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...42#post3198242
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 AM   #3070
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Also had my first run yesterday (same track as Malc was). Actually think there were 4 or 5 Type-R's there (Myself, Malc, Kevin B, Chris, and Tim, although I think Tim's was in bits following the cotswolds incident)
Started off with complete Kit Asphalt setup, but given I was using RP30's on a very dusty and low grip track, pushed and spun out all over the show. Then lost a rear shock tower screw, so the tower was moving, and scratched my lovely chassis...
Played around with springs and roll-centres for the day, ended up with 20lb front, 15lb rear, with 0.03" roll bars all round. Front roll centre low, and rear high, Spool up front. Car worked very well, and was easy and consistent to drive. Had a full on ding-dong battle in the first final with another driver lots of cross over moves and so on. I did swap to my Tamiya for a couple of runs, to see how the car performed against it, and I have to say it was close. I did post a faster time with the tamiya, but then again, I have been running one for over three years....
The Type-R did have a little tendancy to snap round off power, I think running a longer rear link may help that. It did rotate well mid-corner though.
End result of the day, I q'd 4th in stock 27t (only one heat though), and all the guys ahead were running 13.5's, I was using brushed, so happy with that.

I lent the car to a friend to run his last final in 19t, and he promptly set a best lap 1tenth faster than he had done all day with his 007.... Then he broke a rear arm.... I'm begining to belive the EA3 isn't quite as strong as it could be.

Overall, happy with the performance with the car, just now need to get some more track time to fine tune the setup. I'll post a copy of mine from the day on here later on tonight.

Oh, and I've decided modifieds are fun, stuck a 7 in for a bit of practise after racing... Big Grin Factor
Old 04-10-2007, 05:05 AM   #3071
Tech Initiate

Hi,
Taking delivery of a Type-R in a couple of days, and want to run it for the first time this weekend. Never had a Losi before, can anyone recommend any LHS in the UK that supply spares for the JRXS etc.??? I'm in desperate need for a front spool, if anyone knows where I can buy them, please let me know.

Can't wait to get the Type-R on the track.

Appreciate anyone's help,
Old 04-10-2007, 05:21 AM   #3072
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggers
Hi,
Taking delivery of a Type-R in a couple of days, and want to run it for the first time this weekend. Never had a Losi before, can anyone recommend any LHS in the UK that supply spares for the JRXS etc.??? I'm in desperate need for a front spool, if anyone knows where I can buy them, please let me know.

Can't wait to get the Type-R on the track.

Appreciate anyone's help,
Try DMS, they seem to have a good supply of Losi parts. For the spool, I just got an old 42 pulley, and took the pads out, and put them into the new pulleys. Be careful how you remove them though, the pads are VERY brittle.
Not sure about who has arms though...
Old 04-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #3073
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard
Also had my first run yesterday (same track as Malc was). Actually think there were 4 or 5 Type-R's there (Myself, Malc, Kevin B, Chris, and Tim, although I think Tim's was in bits following the cotswolds incident)
Started off with complete Kit Asphalt setup, but given I was using RP30's on a very dusty and low grip track, pushed and spun out all over the show. Then lost a rear shock tower screw, so the tower was moving, and scratched my lovely chassis...
Played around with springs and roll-centres for the day, ended up with 20lb front, 15lb rear, with 0.03" roll bars all round. Front roll centre low, and rear high, Spool up front. Car worked very well, and was easy and consistent to drive. Had a full on ding-dong battle in the first final with another driver lots of cross over moves and so on. I did swap to my Tamiya for a couple of runs, to see how the car performed against it, and I have to say it was close. I did post a faster time with the tamiya, but then again, I have been running one for over three years....
The Type-R did have a little tendancy to snap round off power, I think running a longer rear link may help that. It did rotate well mid-corner though.
End result of the day, I q'd 4th in stock 27t (only one heat though), and all the guys ahead were running 13.5's, I was using brushed, so happy with that.

I lent the car to a friend to run his last final in 19t, and he promptly set a best lap 1tenth faster than he had done all day with his 007.... Then he broke a rear arm.... I'm begining to belive the EA3 isn't quite as strong as it could be.

Overall, happy with the performance with the car, just now need to get some more track time to fine tune the setup. I'll post a copy of mine from the day on here later on tonight.

Oh, and I've decided modifieds are fun, stuck a 7 in for a bit of practise after racing... Big Grin Factor
Hi Edd
Good to make your aquantance yesterday

Surley you didn't come all the way from the Isle of Wight to play did you?
That track was so dusty yesterday, ive never known it to be like that before. It was 1999 beginers meeting the first time my son and I got into this great sport, thousands of 's later im still in it, and the boy has gone to play with real cars Cant believe how many new peeps weren't NOT there yesterday, I even brought some old trophys to pass on to newby at the end of the day, but that seem to die a death to Still we plod on, and hopefully things will pick up, but I have to say that putting that Skate ramp aparox 20ft from the track is a BAD move, me thinks they don't want us there any more
Malc
Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #3074
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

RussB: Thanks. Ill do that too. I also noticed that the belt wasnt centering on the diff pulley and the pully that is connected to the spur gear shaft. Maybe adding the diff rings to the front spool will center it.
I thought that the pads would replace the rings, cause they're just as thick as the rings.

What adjustments did you guys make to the car from the car setup? Im gonna run 19T, so just want to have an idea what to expect, and what to change after the first couple runs. Im thinking of running mod as well, soon. Do you guys put the sway bars as well, like the setup says. Im running on asphalt, CS27, med grip.

Thanks
chris

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #3075
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL_XXX-S_racer
RussB: Thanks. Ill do that too. I also noticed that the belt wasnt centering on the diff pulley and the pully that is connected to the spur gear shaft. Maybe adding the diff rings to the front spool will center it.
I thought that the pads would replace the rings, cause they're just as thick as the rings.

What adjustments did you guys make to the car from the car setup? Im gonna run 19T, so just want to have an idea what to expect, and what to change after the first couple runs. Im thinking of running mod as well, soon. Do you guys put the sway bars as well, like the setup says. Im running on asphalt, CS27, med grip.

Thanks
chris

Chris- Try these... I ran the rubber kit set up, but with slightly higher ride height (5mm front/rear), no Jr. link (just standard turnbuckle) and a Protoform Mazda Speed 6 body (which yieled more overall/mid/exit steering that standard 6, IMO). I was really happy with the overall balance of the car and quite surprised to find the kit set up so close to being on the pace. I was running on a smooth, high bite outdoor track, with a 125 foot straightaway.

(If you are parking lot racing at Superior, I would recommend going up 5.5 mm ride height, and possibly removing swaybars. This should help with the slightly bumpy and low-to-medium bite surface. Gearing should be around 128/40-41 depending on layout/motor for 19T.)

Reedy / RC America/XRayUSA / Hudy / Avid / JConcepts / Vannen Watches

Last edited by J.Filipow; 04-10-2007 at 12:34 PM.
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote