R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #2506
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I can't wait to check it out Dave. Hopefully your Pdub bumper is softer then the one you smeared me all over the A main with last week.

The UPS site said Tuesday for delivery. I may bring some of it to the track and start CAing the chassis and parts in our down time. I don't know if I'll want to whip it out on a points night first time out. We'll see how soon I can get er done.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #2507
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

awfull quiet in here today.. everyone must be out enjoying their new toys

wish i could have got to a track today
Old 03-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #2508
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to mainracer

don't worry keith you will have plenty of track time next week end .... are you gonna make the wednesday night club race ??

AE / Reedy / LRP

KOpropo / Much-More / Parma PSE / Protoform / APS ceramic Bearing / BawdyShop / Fastcats / Dekelz
mainracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #2509
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ran the car today. On the fourth lap, I bested my fast lap with the previous car. Granted, this one is a little bit underweight with the LiPo, but it didn't take long at all to get a feel for things. No broken parts, though my only incident was hitting a board square with the front, so I didn't test its durability too much. It was easy to drive clean. :-)

Others have mentioned the kit setup pushes (foams) and I had the same experience. I tried going to a normal camber link up front without much change. I don't have any tuning parts to try yet, but if you've got some suggestions on how to get more steering with the stock parts, that would be cool.

The car was extremely smooth and fast, and carried a lot of corner speed. I just struggled with it being a little slow to turn in, and pushing quite a bit exiting the turns on power. I don't know how much the light LiPo might have affected this, but one of the guys I race with (smoke81) is working on a solution for that. I imagine he'll post here about his progress. The car is currently 46.8oz w/o the body. :-D
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #2510
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainracer
don't worry keith you will have plenty of track time next week end .... are you gonna make the wednesday night club race ??
No, leaving late thursday. SHOULD* be there Friday for doors open. But I may have to leave early and come back.. we will see. Trying to get the job i left in NY in 04' back. It just so happens that they may have some sort of meeting going on Friday at like 4pm.

KB
Old 03-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #2511
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Ran the car today. On the fourth lap, I bested my fast lap with the previous car. Granted, this one is a little bit underweight with the LiPo, but it didn't take long at all to get a feel for things. No broken parts, though my only incident was hitting a board square with the front, so I didn't test its durability too much. It was easy to drive clean. :-)

Others have mentioned the kit setup pushes (foams) and I had the same experience. I tried going to a normal camber link up front without much change. I don't have any tuning parts to try yet, but if you've got some suggestions on how to get more steering with the stock parts, that would be cool.

The car was extremely smooth and fast, and carried a lot of corner speed. I just struggled with it being a little slow to turn in, and pushing quite a bit exiting the turns on power. I don't know how much the light LiPo might have affected this, but one of the guys I race with (smoke81) is working on a solution for that. I imagine he'll post here about his progress. The car is currently 46.8oz w/o the body. :-D
Are you running magenta or double pinks all the way around? I would suggest doing that first if you are not. You can try moving the front camber link to the lower position to get more camber gain and do the opposite on the back by raising it to get less camber gain. You can try moving the front shocks out on the tower and the rear shocks in on the tower. Might be worth trying the shocks in the middle hole front and rear. 6 degree caster blocks too, but without parts this might be difficult.

I have not ran this car yet, but I have seen the kit carpet set up and from past experiences this is what I would try first.

Hope this helps!
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #2512
Tech Master

Quote:

im not sure what the kit setup is.. but if it involves Cyan/ or doublepink orange tires.. start there. I think most of, if not all of the team ended up with Magenta's or Double pink F/R at the recent Nats. I ran them last weekend at fastcats again but in low traction and liked them. You will be completely off of the kit setup with them.. but in the end, I think youll go faster.

Youll have to glue the complete outside sidewall of the fronts and keep up with them on a truer. Its a hassle, but worth it IMHO. I think you would want to be under 57mm if not 56mm as well for this to not be "ridiculous" steering.

Someone will post a setup after this coming weekends Canadian Challenge, Kevin, Mike and myself will all be there.. were bound to have something to share.

KB
Old 03-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #2513
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLove
Are you running magenta or double pinks all the way around? I would suggest doing that first if you are not. You can try moving the front camber link to the lower position to get more camber gain and do the opposite on the back by raising it to get less camber gain. You can try moving the front shocks out on the tower and the rear shocks in on the tower. Might be worth trying the shocks in the middle hole front and rear. 6 degree caster blocks too, but without parts this might be difficult.

I have not ran this car yet, but I have seen the kit carpet set up and from past experiences this is what I would try first.

Hope this helps!
Cool, thanks, I'll try some of that Tuesday at our next club race. I'm running the 26mm Jaco 2-stage with dblpink/orange up front and dblpink in the rear. I've seen some people going to dblpink all the way around at big races, but I haven't tried it yet. I glued the sidewalls on the tires all the way up to the orange up front, and about 3/4 in the rear. I was under the impression that takes away side bite, not steering. The car definitely didn't lift when I cornered hard like my other one, which let me carry more speed and come out of the turns faster. It just wanted to push out real hard on power.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:34 PM   #2514
Tech Lord

I probably started the tires a little too tall at 58.5mm from how it sounds. I don't have the pinions yet to run them much smaller, but they're on the way. :-O

I'll experiment with dblpink up front this week and see how it goes. It'll be good to see what setups you guys end up with after your big race. It'll give me an idea what option parts I should pick up so I can do some more experimenting.

This is fun stuff. It's exciting to have a new car, and start figuring out all its quirks. It sure is easy to work on!
Old 03-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #2515
Tech Master

Wraps are different!!! Youll run those bigger as they are like having a bigger rim. I dont know off hand where you would want to start them.. your probably not too far off though. id guess at 57.5-- maybe a little smaller depending on how fast your trying to go-- or how big your wallet is..

when you glue a tire it does take away side bite.. if you do the fronts too much it will push. Unless your track is really grooves up, i wouldnt glue the tires for club racing. If you go to rears all around, then you have to glue the fronts.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #2516
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti
Wraps are different!!! Youll run those bigger as they are like having a bigger rim. I dont know off hand where you would want to start them.. your probably not too far off though. id guess at 57.5-- maybe a little smaller depending on how fast your trying to go-- or how big your wallet is..

when you glue a tire it does take away side bite.. if you do the fronts too much it will push. Unless your track is really grooves up, i wouldnt glue the tires for club racing. If you go to rears all around, then you have to glue the fronts.
Hmm, I just started messing with the wraps tonight. I probably shouldn't have glued them to start out, our traction never gets above medium I'd say. I'll try some without the glue first to see if that solves the push, and experiment with non-wraps as well.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #2517
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Running wraps at a club race is probably not the best tire to run. They are awesome at a big event where the traction is pretty good. Double pink/orange wraps are not going to give much steering and then adding glue will make it worse. I would suggest running 28mm double pink front and rear. Start them around 56.5 or so. If your car has to much steering glue the fronts.

Another thing you can do to the free the car up would raising the rear roll center. A higher roll center generally creates less grip on that end of the car.

From the sounds of it you can fix everything with tires....
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #2518
Tech Lord

Good to know. I guess I'm still pretty unclued about tires, and how to get the most from them. I've got plenty of non-wraps to experiment with, so I'll give that a shot Tuesday without glue, and possibly with dblpink up front to see if I can solve some of the steering problems without deviating too much from the kit setup.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #2519
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

Quote:

I do believe Jim figured out it needed to weigh 3 oz heavier. Going to PM to make sure.. Going to push my dad on getting a good drawing made of it, and should have a couple rolling out by the end of the week
Old 03-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #2520
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

Anybody figure out how to measure the uptravel? Trying to figure out how to do this to adjust the shock travel limiters. Doesn't say how to in the manual.
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote