R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #1816
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch
:unsubscribed:

i got an XRAY...too bad Losi had me wait this long to get the 007...
Just think, if Losi hadn't kept you waiting, you may have ended up with a T2 instead of an 007.

You got a nice car, you can't go wrong buying an XRay. Good luck to you.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #1817
Rug
Tech Rookie

Comes setup for foam?

I thought that everyone was doing foam cuz it was a fad, like leg warmers or something.

Foam is annoying...
It's expensive (wears out quicker, can be chunked).
Requires a lot of maintenance (truing, calculating gears, etc)

I can see it for the big races on the account that you can justify a set per race or something, but it's not good for the weekly club races, imo.
Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #1818
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rug
Comes setup for foam?

I thought that everyone was doing foam cuz it was a fad, like leg warmers or something.

Foam is annoying...

I can see it for the big races on the account that you can justify a set per race or something, but it's not good for the weekly club races, imo.
the box setup is for foam carpet, but it has been said many times before that the car is versatile enough to run on carpet with foam or rubber, and on asphalt, with just setup changes. i think that's a good thing. other sedans are too specialized these days with foam and rubber specific kits, just more crap to buy.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #1819
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rug
Comes setup for foam?

Foam is annoying...

BRILLIANT
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #1820
Tech Lord

Losi knows their market, and foam is king in the US.

I get about six weeks of consistent racing out of a set of foams, which is about 4-5 weeks more than I get from rubber tires before they start slowing down. Rubbers are great for bashers that don't care when they lose a few tenths, but for competitive racers, it's very easily just as expensive, and probably more so than foams.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #1821
Tech Master

I would love to see losi include a oneway and different springs and have a rubber kit to please the future racers.

Two years and there will be no more foam races

Last edited by Josh Hohnstein; 03-06-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #1822
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

6 weeks is a stretch but with a good setup 3 weeks is easily.
jrighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #1823
Tech Lord

The battle between foams and rubbers is well-documented elsewhere, there's no reason to rehash it here. Clearly you guys have made up your minds, so go run your rubber tires and be happy. The rest of us will run foams and continue to enjoy it as well.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #1824
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i think the issue here with the foam vs rubber is, these arguments were made years ago, ppl knew no better and bought into it. it is not the truth.....go to iic, novak, clevleand, snowbirds, nats....you will see one run foam. if a guy runs 2 runs it is stock and 19 turn, or mod and 19 turn......they then go away.....

in our area foam is going the way og the Dodo....and rubber is coming back. i have been racing offroad, and with the rubber tire talk i may get a new jrxs.....r....but that is a different issue

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #1825
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. losi
i think the issue here with the foam vs rubber is, these arguments were made years ago, ppl knew no better and bought into it. it is not the truth.....go to iic, novak, clevleand, snowbirds, nats....you will see one run foam. if a guy runs 2 runs it is stock and 19 turn, or mod and 19 turn......they then go away.....
Those are usually people using wraps, right? I've heard it's gotten pretty bad at big events, but I thought it was due to wraps more than anything. That's too bad. :-(

I'd be happy to run either, but locally the fast guys run foams, so that's what I run too. I enjoyed all the benefits of rubber when I ran it, but found the tires fell off more quickly than foams, and that I was buying tires a little more frequently. It sounds like maybe that's changing since they apparently found a way to make foams faster at the expense of longevity.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #1826
Tech Lord

I have to start the tires pretty tall to get that kind of life (59MM), so that probably negates any idea of equal performance, since smaller foams seem to be faster. I'm not running wraps either, so I can run them down until they're pretty small. I imagine my perception would change at large events, especially when the traction comes up.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #1827
Tech Lord

Sorry, triple post.

Will the LOSA3350 one-way be the same for the Type-R? It's been a while since I've run rubber, I should try it again and see what all the fuss is about. :-)
Old 03-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #1828
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i had the opportunity to actually race the new type-r over the weekend. i run 19t rubber tire at socal raceway which is indoor asphalt.

i took an educated guess on the setup and after 2 practice rounds decided to run it in the saturday night event.

for those with any concerns about running on asphalt imho you can relax. on the high bite asphalt the car was very stable and carried very good corner speed.

ran 2 practice and 2 qualifiers and main and could not be happier. qualified second for the evening and in the main placed 3rd, top 3 all on the same straight. just a club race and the first time running thought the outlook was good and wanted to share my experience.

seems to be worth long wait
Old 03-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #1829
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

there's this thing called asphalt that people like to race on too. rubber tire cars are pretty important to us guys.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:01 AM   #1830
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It won the Australian title for modified on asphalt (the same track the 1/10 gas worlds were run on in 2006) - it's gonna work for asphalt!!!
Capelracer is offline   Reply With Quote