R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Foam Tire Question??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/125269-foam-tire-question.html)

NotSoFast 08-12-2006 04:48 PM

Foam Tire Question???

hello people

new to the indoor electric thing and my head is spinning about the foam tires

1.what do you think is the best for your $$$

2. i understand there are different compunds, which do you run on the front and back

3. also people cut the tires down, is this to make sure they are true or is there s desired size i am looking for???

what about 12th scale

AChupp2 08-12-2006 05:08 PM

I personally like Parma foam tires. I use plaid and purple for TC. The Jaco 2 stage are also very popular but I have never used them personally.

Foam tires are trued to prevent them from chunking and to lower the center of gravity among other things.

They are trued to a certain size to get the desired and proper gearing.

mackin 08-12-2006 05:23 PM

I also run Parma tires. Cyan up front an Magenta in the rear. If the tires are too big the car will tend to traction roll in the corners and also can chunk.You can also change gear ratios by changing the diameter of your tires. When traction is high you may also have to glue the outside edge of your tires. For 1/12th purple front and grey rears is a good place to start.

chuck

tc3blue 08-12-2006 05:24 PM

If you go PARMA:

CYAN-front
MAGENTA-rear

If you go JACO:

DOUBLE-PINK-ORANGE-front
DOUBLE-PINK-rear

Chris08527 08-12-2006 05:29 PM

i think many people start them off around 57mm for TC and some may run them as low as 55
not sure were to start in 12th

butrflynlambie 08-12-2006 07:39 PM

If you go PARMA:

CYAN-front
MAGENTA-rear

If you go JACO:

DOUBLE-PINK-ORANGE-front
DOUBLE-PINK-rear

This is what 99% of the people I have talked to say to use.

Also mark them as to which are the front and back. I think the Jaco may include a sticker in the box(?) for this use.

I spent alot of time asking people which are my front as a beginner since I had never marked them. The experienced drivers can tell, I swear it's some magic they pickup at along the way to becoming fast.

JAY_UK 08-12-2006 07:44 PM

I love foam tyres - " Yea i got these new double red - pink - green - brown - blue - orange - silvers. Ended up winning by 13 laps with them! " LMAO Im confused! :lol:

baih 08-12-2006 07:59 PM

well i was about to ask about foam tires also. so i will just add my question.
for 1/18 we were using CA glue on the sides of the foams. do you CA glue the sides for 1/10 scale also ?

AChupp2 08-12-2006 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by baih
well i was about to ask about foam tires also. so i will just add my question.
for 1/18 we were using CA glue on the sides of the foams. do you CA glue the sides for 1/10 scale also ?

It's not a bad idea. It helps prevent the tires from chunking. Xray actualy recommends it there set up book.

swopemike 08-12-2006 08:44 PM

CA Glue on sides of foams

Some of our local 1:10 scale pro drivers and LHS owner recommend glue on the sides where tires meet wheel and up the side some to help keep it together so if it does chunk (usually from hitting walls or stuff) the pieces stay in place. I have been told (and done this) to glue a piece back on rather than leave the chunk out. You can even use a sacrificial tire (chunked too badly) to repair others. Not perfect but I think it helps. The tire listed previously (Jaco Double Pink oRange) has double pink compound (about 35 shore, which is a soft rubber rating) on the tire but the outside edge, maybe 3/16 inch, is orange or 50 shore rating. I saw a foam tire rating chart - I think it was on the teamtrinity.com home page, if you want to know what the colors mean. I also have seen double pink rear, double pink orange front used on carpet. From what I have read and seen about 57-58 mm diameter for 1:10 scale seems to be optimal. Although I have started out either full size or about 62 mm (rubber tire size) with my foams to make them last longer (we actually run both foams and rubber tires on outdoor asphalt on our track). I'm new to TC but I have asked a lot of the same questions you have over this season, so I hope this helps. I personally have switched back to rubber tires for now (size changes from wear changes gearing and the tires just aren't lasting very long the way I drive, too loose and out of control).

wcalaker 08-12-2006 11:36 PM

Most of the tires I've seen are about the same price...$15 to $16. Ive seen the Orion ones for $10 at Stormer Hobbies and have talked to a couple of people that use them and heard they work well. Best for the money? they are all about the same price i guess.

In my limited experience I think TRC and GQ foams are great tires. They seem to be much more durable and longer lasting than comparable Jacos. Ive heard the same about Parma but I have yet to try them myself. I personally prefer the GQ since i have had good luck with them and I like the color and look they have.

Ask people at your track what compounds they use. It will save you money. Like others the Cyan Magenta Dbl Pink DblPnk/orange seem to work best. Y ou will also need a tire additive. Most, at my track at least, use Paragon Ground Effects tire compound. I personally use Niftech only because the bottle is much better and the applicator is easier to use. Also, Paragon has a strong odor to it. But i think it actually works a little better. "Saucing" the tires , you coat the rear tire completely and the front you do the inner part of the tire. Some do only a quarter some half.

You dont have to cut the tires down if you dont want to but people do it because for various reasons. I suppose for gearing and to make the car lower to handle better.

When I first started racing on carpet everyone told me to CA the sides of my tires so as not to traction roll and it helped prevent chunking. Now that the traction at our track isnt as high as it was before (supposedly) everyone says not to .....CA'ing i guess would be personal preference or the track could make a difference.

A good idea is to get setup sheets from the manufacturer of whatever car you have and find a carpet set up and follow it to a tee then make adjustments to fit your driving style. Along with the tires you will probably have to change your shock oil, piston holes possibly, springs , etc....

Got Xray? 08-13-2006 12:29 AM

i use GRP foams which are just rated in shores,so its easy to understand...but from the good ive been hearing about parma,im going to switch to them.

DO you guys us traction compound?

mackin 08-13-2006 08:18 AM

One thing I forgot to mention in my post above is that parma tires are offset .75mm more than jaco.

chuck

stiltskin 08-13-2006 09:39 AM

I like to run John's BSR tires. Double Pink Orange in the front. Double Pink Purple in the back. The purple ring in the back frees up the car a little and also helps with the chunking. I've never chunked one without first getting hit by another car. They come out of the box at @ 62 mm. You can run them like that if you want, but I usually start them at 58.5 and they get better as they wear. I've gotten a couple friends hooked on them now also. The Jaco 2-stage tires work great also, but I couldn't stop them from tearing the top layer away from the bottom layer. (they do work well though)
Gluing the sidewall does a couple of things for you. It will help prevent chunking but it affects the way the tire performs also. It stiffens the sidewall and creates a little more initial steering but it will take away steering as the tire rolls onto this section. For super high bite carpet, gluing the front sidewalls is usually a great tuning option. Just my $.02.

AChupp2 08-13-2006 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Got Xray?
i use GRP foams which are just rated in shores,so its easy to understand...but from the good ive been hearing about parma,im going to switch to them.

DO you guys us traction compound?

I use traction compound on the rear and front but not always the whole front. I personally like both front and rear tires fully sauced.