Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deans Connectors for Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default Deans Connectors for Motor?

Took my XXX-S for a bit of a practice run the other day and then on the second pack the car kept stopping and starting but steering was still running good. Brought it back in and found one of the bullet connectors connecting the motor to the ESC had melted.

Why would have caused this? (I'm only running the standard Novak ESC with the Tamiya silver can so I wasn't expecting any monster currents or loads).

Also can I replace just replace the bullet connectors with a deans connector as they look a little easier to solder up and more robust.

And final question is on soldering. I've got whats labelled as a 100W soldering iron shaped like a hand held drill. Its been sitting around for something like 20years at home and I haven't had much success soldering in the past (seems to melt the solder too fast once it gets hot enough to do anything). Would it be easier to replace it with one of those cheap 15 or 20W irons that you find in the electronics store (my guess is that I'm going to have to pick up some soldering skills to stay in this hobby)
Old 08-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

deans are fine to use, better than the bullet connectors.

and as for irons, i use a 40watt for everything.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

yeah..i run deans ultra plugs on my motors...so i can switch quickly between my stock and my 19 turn spec.

as for the iron...try radio shack(or the source) thats where i got mine..i paid about $12CAD....and mine has a little knob adjustable form 1W to 60W...i do majority of mine anywhere from 30-50W....but be careful putting the deans connectors on...you dont want the plug to get to hot otherwise the inserts will melt into the plug and it wont fit properley...

goodluck!!

THNX
Duggy
Old 08-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

jaycar has 80W irons for $20AUD. they come with the flat tip also. perfect for batteries and motors.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

What u have is a soldering gun, its a bit too powerful for RC, a flat tip 40-80W iron will serve all ur RC purposes.

Dean connectors are great. They are low resistance and are great connectors. However, make sure you check your gearing is good and that your drive train runs freely. These are things that can also cause your motor to overheat and melt tihngs...

Have fun!
Old 08-12-2006, 01:11 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like I'm going to visit JayCar during the week.

Gearing I think should be OK. Currently running a FDR of just over 5 (most guys at my club seem to be running 4.7 or 4.8). However the drivetrain is still a little tight as I've got the belt tension up pretty tight.

Still a bit surprised about melting the plug though as ESC, battery connectors and motor don't get that hot (I do have a 3racing heatsink and fan on motor though).
Old 08-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

As for an iron I recently got a Weller 80w from Lowes for $25 and it is amazing. I can solder anything now.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Deans connectors are good for nearly anything. Use with confidence. They are a bit hard to solder, and you will need a good soldering iron.

Soldering GUNS are junk, period. They are worthless.

The goal is to have a large mass of metal that is very hot from which to transfer heat to the items being soldered. Guns have a tiny little tip that cools instantly when touched to the item being soldered. Then you have to hold it there for a couple of minutes, all the while any plastic in the near vicinity melts, and your fingers get burned from holding everything in place. Guns are terrible.

Get a pencil style soldering iron that has a 1/4" or 6mm diameter tip with a chisel point. Don't get one of those cheapy irons with the tiny 1/8" conical tip (like the ones at Radio Shack). The classic Weller 40 watt is good. The 80 watt is awesome for soldering batteries, but the tip is much too big for doing wire to connector soldering.