Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Will R/C Events be ruined Nationally and Internationally due to Terrorist threats? >

Will R/C Events be ruined Nationally and Internationally due to Terrorist threats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will R/C Events be ruined Nationally and Internationally due to Terrorist threats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:30 PM
The Evicerator

I remember when we flew to cleveland right after 9/11 security opened up our stuff... they were particularly concerned with a fan that happened to be wrapped in a plastic bag.... but they paid ZERO attention to the battery packs, power supplies, chargers, wires and other stuff directly underneath the fan... we kind of scratched our heads about that one.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

U.S. Customs and Border Protection will increase enforcement efforts in international arrival areas including the use of advanced targeting tools, special response teams including baggage and aircraft search teams, baggage x-ray equipment, specially-trained canine units, and explosive detection technology.
..and we have thousands of people walking over the southern border every day.... You really think they can't walk over the border with a suitcase nuke and take out an entire city?

I don't believe there was any foiled plot....

And it isn't mothers with babies, it's young Muslim men....

Give me a break!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Most of the U.S. team is not attending the 1/8 Off Road Worlds in Indonesia because of ongoing U.S. government warnings against non-essential travel there.
Don't forget Bali is an Indonesion territory. And Bali has had two major terrorist bombings in the last 2-3 years killing many New Zealanders and Australians, not to mention many other nationalities.

Don't think I would be that keen on going to Indonesia, oh and it doesn't help that it is a gas race and not an electric race.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You cant take xray equipment on planes... Sorry team xray your grounded That leaves half the competition out of the races.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

Ive always wanted to do a race in the US but how do you get your gear there on a flight? Surely all your RC gear + clothes etc will go way over baggage limit and mean that you pay about 6 X as much as the tickets worth in excess baggage???? Someone please put my mind at rest!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JAY_UK
Ive always wanted to do a race in the US but how do you get your gear there on a flight? Surely all your RC gear + clothes etc will go way over baggage limit and mean that you pay about 6 X as much as the tickets worth in excess baggage???? Someone please put my mind at rest!
Actually travelling to the US from Europe is easier than you might think in regards to luggage weight. The rules are that you are allowed to bring two pieces of check-in luggage and each can weigh 30 kg. if I remember correctly. I think within Europe the max. is 25 kg. total. There are a few racer tricks Teemu told me a couple of years ago that will allow for some extra gear onboard but I guess these latest news aren´t exactly encouraging us to take any chances. Buy one or two hard suitcases (typical Delsey or Samsonite) and tug your stuff and your clothes into the same cases and your well off!

Regards,
Emil
Old 08-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you stop doing what you love because of a percieved 'threat', then they've already won.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Don't plan on checking a Magnet Zapper thru customs.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by v0rtex
If you stop doing what you love because of a percieved 'threat', then they've already won.
Exactly.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

The UK Foreign Office has the following advice on Indonesia:-

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...=1013618385558

Originally Posted by JAY_UK
It's not a problem, I have done it enough times - you just need to trim down what you take and if you find you have not got something then someone will always lend you one.

If you have a connecting flight that try and arrange it so that you have a good gap between the flights as US immigration does take some time. Last time I had to do a bit of a run through the airport but they did have three foreign flights arrive at the same time and only six officials on duty with only one of those for 'aliens' (non-US citizens).
There will also be slight differences between what security requires of you between the airports, so just do what they ask and don't debate the issue. It was particularly noticebly after 9/11 and people thought you were brave for flying!
Old 08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danjoy25
Don't plan on checking a Magnet Zapper thru customs.
actually i take one to every race....as long as you call it a "motor magnet refresher" they could care less...i take it in the carry on bag, i was leaving seattle and they didnt even open my bag to look at it....i also had like 40 battery packs....

ive taken some questionable items through security....like all my tool in my carry on...woops, xacto blades wire cutters, you name it....

on another note...if you need to take lots of stuff with you to a race buy a ticket for a buddy and make him take a bag for you....thats what we do..
Old 08-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

If you havent seen the news this week , it seems that all flights are going to have carry on luggage banned from now on , and all other luggage will have more strict security checks, especially for electrical items and batteries, which will mean RC gear is more at risk of damage/delays from inspection.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by v0rtex
Dido!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PerformanceRC
If you havent seen the news this week , it seems that all flights are going to have carry on luggage banned from now on , and all other luggage will have more strict security checks, especially for electrical items and batteries, which will mean RC gear is more at risk of damage/delays from inspection.
I believe thats just temporary right now. I mean after a couple weeks/ months you will be able to have carry-ons.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

i hope it doesnt delay international postage!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.