Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are brushless motors...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 09:30 PM
Tech Adept

Default Are brushless motors...

faster than most gas cars in acceleration?

I heard that they might be.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

uhm... even regular motors are faster than gas cars in acceleration.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thats right most electrics accelerate faster than a gas car but on a long straight the gas car comes into its own...

Steevo
Old 01-25-2003, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

The brushless motors are so fast on acceleration, if the traction was low, the car would be almost undriveable. From what I have read, most of the motor's power (60-70%) is at the first couple of seconds of acceleration. That's why Novak took so long to release their version because they wanted a linear control of the power, not exponential.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Tech Adept

can i use airplane brushlesses and their escs on 1/10s or are they specially made for seperate types of RCs?
Old 01-26-2003, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by stoopidbstrd
can i use airplane brushlesses and their escs on 1/10s or are they specially made for seperate types of RCs?
no u cant.airplanes use a much smoother throttle curve than cars.we brake-accelerate-brake somemore...on planes u just use smooth increments or decrements....so they cannot be thrown around.even brushed systems cannot.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

I see. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by lee82gx
no u cant.airplanes use a much smoother throttle curve than cars.we brake-accelerate-brake somemore...on planes u just use smooth increments or decrements....so they cannot be thrown around.even brushed systems cannot.
Hi lee82gx,
I don't mean to contradict you but the throttle control used in brushless motor ESC's for model planes is not smooth enough for use in an RC Car.. They do not have the number of steps required to give the smooth throttle response that we are used to from our cars ESCs Most of the brushless systems used for model planes would provide a "Jerky" Throttle response due to the "low number of Increments of Forward Drive"

RC car magazine Nov 2002 has a good article on the Orion Vortex Brushless system for RC Cars and this elaborates on what I have said above so it is not just a theory of mine, the Info comes from those a lot more informed than me...

Steevo
Old 01-26-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

yah u r absolutely right.what i meant was since the airplane throttle are easier therefore it requires less a less smoother controller.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry I probably misunderstood your meaning

Steevo
Old 01-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

no u cant.airplanes use a much smoother throttle curve than cars.we brake-accelerate-brake somemore...on planes u just use smooth increments or decrements
Steevo--- I don't think you misunderstood him, I think he may have misunderstood himself....LOL

However- airplaine brushless systems can be used, but not for general racing purposes, only for insane speed runs, and maybe drag racing where the min. required weight is high....... Cliff Lett used an aviox brushless airplane system for his insane speed run TC3 or 12L3 a few years ago (not sure which one, but he ht 86 with his TC3 and 112 with the 12L)
Old 01-26-2003, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Steevo--- I don't think you misunderstood him, I think he may have misunderstood himself....LOL
I'm always trying to play the diplomat You know what I mean

Steevo
Old 01-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

hey hey....didnt misunderstand myself..i think i couldnt spell out a better explanation..pls dont laugh
tho i also find my explanation a little ...confusing.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

No problem lee82gx,
we all get a little mixed up sometimes.. Don't take it personally...Your english is better than some

Steevo
Old 01-26-2003, 10:43 PM
Tech Adept

actually i think lee82gx's english is fine. maybe it's just explaining that's hard. that happens to me all the time. i understand something but if someone wants me to teach them about it, i wouldn't know how to put it into words.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.