Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Driving Properly what are the things to work on? >

Driving Properly what are the things to work on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Properly what are the things to work on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Driving Properly what are the things to work on?

A question for the top level racers out there.

What do you concentrate on when you are driving, and how do you do it? Is it -
Breaking points?
Where do you look when driving?
At your car?
Just in front of it?
Do you look down the track and back at your car?

When you first go to a track do you walk arround it, check other peoples lines? Look at it from different angles?

What would be your tips for middle of the pack drivers to concentrate on, other than don't crash.

I am assuming with this question the car is set up, I just want to know about driving skills and how to improve.

A bit of help for all of us would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

Check this thread out: http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118449
Old 07-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

DUAL RATES!!!!!!!!! I have driven everything out there and lowering your rate makes the car 99% easier to drive fast.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by drew85
DUAL RATES!!!!!!!!! I have driven everything out there and lowering your rate makes the car 99% easier to drive fast.
Lower your dual rate until you have to turn the wheel all the way to make the tightest turn on the track. Also, if your radio has exponential, add some negative exponential to the steering, it will make it less "twitchy."
Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Tech Adept

can you lower dual rates on a Spektrum DX3?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PRO 2 RACER
can you lower dual rates on a Spektrum DX3?
Yes. It should have exponential adjustments as well.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XrayFK
Yes. It should have exponential adjustments as well.
DX3 doesn't have exponential
Old 08-01-2006, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by smojoe
DX3 doesn't have exponential
Pathetic
It has dual rate though, right? I hope it does.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Default my opinion

Originally Posted by PRO 2 RACER
A question for the top level racers out there.

What do you concentrate on when you are driving, and how do you do it? Is it -
Breaking points?
Where do you look when driving?
At your car?
Just in front of it?
Do you look down the track and back at your car?

When you first go to a track do you walk arround it, check other peoples lines? Look at it from different angles?

What would be your tips for middle of the pack drivers to concentrate on, other than don't crash.

I am assuming with this question the car is set up, I just want to know about driving skills and how to improve.

A bit of help for all of us would be appreciated.
Thanks
I'll share my exxperience with you, what I have done recently has come straight from your question, once you can scoot around without crashing, observe the fast guys, watch their lines, LISTEN, to their cars, it will tell you alot about your lift points more than braking on carpet, braking will cost you more time than just lifting and letting the car work for you (assuming you are on carpet) but it should be fairly consistant advice on asphault as well keeping up speed with the car is vital, anytime that you have to recover from braking, thats time lost, I only brake to avoid a mistake (i.e hitting someone or just plain blowing a turn line) but I THINK that your on the right track with your own ideas. I hope this helps....Tito
Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Default looking

Originally Posted by santinuchi
I'll share my exxperience with you, what I have done recently has come straight from your question, once you can scoot around without crashing, observe the fast guys, watch their lines, LISTEN, to their cars, it will tell you alot about your lift points more than braking on carpet, braking will cost you more time than just lifting and letting the car work for you (assuming you are on carpet) but it should be fairly consistant advice on asphault as well keeping up speed with the car is vital, anytime that you have to recover from braking, thats time lost, I only brake to avoid a mistake (i.e hitting someone or just plain blowing a turn line) but I THINK that your on the right track with your own ideas. I hope this helps....Tito
when it comes to your line of sight the car and whats in front of you is where i look, you have to put some trust in whats going on behind you, focus on where the car is going not where its comming from....make sense? makes it easier to set up for whats next, keeping speed is all about setting up for whats next properly....again just my thoughts.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Driving tips? Always use your turn signals! And be sure to perfect your parallel parking technique!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
Driving tips? Always use your turn signals! And be sure to perfect your parallel parking technique!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Last season in carpet, i came out of my shell and really started to do very good, im the 2nd top guy at our track from going from novice the year before. I went from 100% dual rate to about 55-60% depending on the infield tightness turns of teh track.

I tend to look like 1 foot aheady of my car when driving

when I am on someones rear bumper when we are driving lines together, i just look at the car ahead of mine, no looking at mine at all.

Running mid pack... down the straits, stay striaght as possible. Some guys like to roam and weeve on the straihts. NOT GOOD.

Running mid pack in turns...when you enter then turn. and the rear guy likes to power thought he corners alittler faster then you, they like to grab the corner of the body and swing ya around. try to power out of the corner faster then him to where you have a 3-5 foot gap ahead of him. Then continue how you want to.

make sure your car has no tweek. so when you power at the biginning and maybe do some braking at the end. So you dont weeve into the guy next/behind/ahead of you.

depending on your trackw here you make up the most time. Gear accordingly. If the track has alotta 180's and zigzags, you might want to gear alittle lower to power in the infield faster

Some things to think about.

Ben
Old 08-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Default thanks

Originally Posted by BSchorr
Last season in carpet, i came out of my shell and really started to do very good, im the 2nd top guy at our track from going from novice the year before. I went from 100% dual rate to about 55-60% depending on the infield tightness turns of teh track.

I tend to look like 1 foot aheady of my car when driving

when I am on someones rear bumper when we are driving lines together, i just look at the car ahead of mine, no looking at mine at all.

Running mid pack... down the straits, stay striaght as possible. Some guys like to roam and weeve on the straihts. NOT GOOD.

Running mid pack in turns...when you enter then turn. and the rear guy likes to power thought he corners alittler faster then you, they like to grab the corner of the body and swing ya around. try to power out of the corner faster then him to where you have a 3-5 foot gap ahead of him. Then continue how you want to.

make sure your car has no tweek. so when you power at the biginning and maybe do some braking at the end. So you dont weeve into the guy next/behind/ahead of you.

depending on your trackw here you make up the most time. Gear accordingly. If the track has alotta 180's and zigzags, you might want to gear alittle lower to power in the infield faster

Some things to think about.

Ben
glad to see someone else here is trying to HELP a fellow racer with sound advice!!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Since the fastest line around any given track is a comprimise towards maximizing each track segment, keep in mind that your terminal velocity and cornering speeds dictate which portions of the track your chosen line should be tailored towards. If your equipment is showing signs of slowness anywhere on the track, adjust your lines and suspension to maintain the most speed possible in the slowest portions of the track. Making up time in slower sections reaps bigger gains than trying to go top-fuel in the straights. It's all about the compromise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.