R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   LIPO BATTERY HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/124201-lipo-battery-help.html)

ProudSavageOwnr 08-04-2006 03:45 AM

LIPO BATTERY HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heres wat happened....i had my lipo charged up for about 4 weeks or so sitting on my shelf....i thought ide top it up before i ran my new brushless system in my mini t...its a 800mah 2 cell lipo...hooked it upto the charger...had a look at it and it looked as if it was swelling..so i pulled the plastic mould out of my socket set tin case and put the lipo in it .... by now the lipo was getting quite warm.....i placed it in the tincarefully without shorting the plugs on the case.....left it for about 30 min or so and the heat went away....

ne1 ever had this b4? and is my lipo damaged?.....

it hasnt been shorted

XrayFK 08-04-2006 05:00 AM

What charger did you use? How many amps? Is the pack still swollen/deformed?

Turbo Joe 08-04-2006 05:18 AM

Quick...go lock it in your car! :eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

pull-start 08-04-2006 05:39 AM

i would trash the pack and double check the settings on your charger. what kind of charger are you using? i have a duratrax ice and never had anything like that happen to me. when i charge my packs they only get slightly warm. i also read that you are never supposed to peak charge a LiPo pack.

ProudSavageOwnr 08-04-2006 05:58 AM

im using a sj swallow advance....charged at .8 amps..trust me its not the 1st time ive charged a battery lol

maybe its because i peaked it like pullstart said..

its still good tho..works fine

MikeR 08-04-2006 06:36 AM

Yes, swelled from a chemical reaction. Should still work fine although not as well. Yes don't re-peak. Lipo's don't leak energy over time the way NiMh's can ;)

John Stranahan 08-04-2006 11:42 AM

Read about my Scorpion LiPo battery fire here on a thread on this website. My pack had some abuse, but was not even swelled. It should be OK to recharge a charged LIPO since they are not really peaked. A constant voltage is applied and the charge just tapers off till the pack is full. They don't discharge very rapidly, but still have the highest voltage when freshly charged. If the charger can be set to a non LiPo type of charge (a true peak charge) then a user error can occur and destroy the pack. Soak in saltwater to discharge it gently and prevent a fire. Chunk it. It's damaged. You did just fine to recharge, the charger should have prevented an overcharge, and even better to put the damaged pack in a fireproof container.

ProudSavageOwnr 08-04-2006 03:46 PM

thanks for the replys guys.....i just wanted to see if i was in danger lol

MK_Arbiter 08-04-2006 09:49 PM

Does storing a Lipo battery in a bucket of sand prevent fire?

ProudSavageOwnr 08-04-2006 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by MK_Arbiter
Does storing a Lipo battery in a bucket of sand prevent fire?

probably does....but y the hell would u do that?....if u store it in a metal container its ok...or a liposack or sumthing..i think the site is www.liposack.com

well its swelled up again :flaming: this is bs....i let her kool again and charged her up..to my surprize i got 770mah out of it..and the batt is 800 mah....how good is that?!?!?! and the voltage was 8.4volts

thats freaking ausome...i just ran it and i got 25 min run time with my 5400 kv brushless

MK_Arbiter 08-05-2006 01:59 AM

I read somewhere here that helicopter guys put their lipo's in a bucket of sand after their runs.

ProudSavageOwnr 08-05-2006 04:53 AM

hmm kool...speaking of wich my lipo is gona sleep in a tin can 2nite heehehhe

n im gona run 11 nimh cells for my brushless :D