Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best High End Charger Today >

Best High End Charger Today

Best High End Charger Today

Old 11-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Default Best High End Charger Today

Okay, I just need some opinions on the best high end charger today, and give me your reasons if you have time on why.

I'm getting ready to make a purchase and need some input. I want one with the thermo analyzer if possible, so give input on products that have this feature.

I currently have the Integy 16x9v6, but my cells on my current older packs do get warm. I would like something a little better.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

although I don't have one the futaba CDR5000 is pretty good.

specs are here:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/batteries/futm4170.html
Old 11-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

ce gfx or ice
Old 11-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Addict

If you can wait a little, the Spintech I.C.C.

I would consider this the best charger. period !

Major pros:

1) Individual cell peak detect/cutoff on soldered side by side packs.
2) Best manufacturer backup and support in the industry.

Minor pros:

1) Does just about everything described in other high end charger adverts. just go theirs and read.

Major cons:

1) Now you can't boast about your unobtainable, top team factory matched battery as used by (insert name here) as cell matching is not important anymore.

Minor cons:

1) If you're running sticks packs, you won't be able to have individual peak detect/cutoff. (But to be fair, if you're into the market for a high end charger why are you still holding stick packs ??)
Old 11-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ghostfit...what do you mean cell matching isn't important anymore??? just because the charger does individuel cell charging..doesn't mean unmatched packs will perform any better. okay in all fairness it will but so will top shelf packs. discharge is where it matters....on the track
Old 11-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The ICC does look VERY promising...but until it's available, it is all guess work and conjecture...

There are a lot of unanswered questions about how it will perform....and as for best support and backup in the industry....I really don't know where ths statement comes from?? I'm not saying that Spintec has poor support....I'm saying that CE, LRP/AE, Novak, etc all have great support

Cell matching may even become even more critical with the ICC as the cells will now be charging and discharging to their full capacity at all times...if you have a cell with lesser capacity drop out early on you it will be very noticeable....

for the $$$ a strong argument can be made for the Ice...

the GFX is still one of the more respected chargers out there as well...the LRP Pulsar Comp2 is very popular, as are the Much More Cell Master and Orion Advantage...

I don't think there is a clear cut *best* charger.....although the ICC does break from the pack with some unique features....let's see how it actually works though when it finally ships...
Old 11-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Duratrax Ice Charger is pretty good. Features and cost make it very competitive with other chargers. Since many racers have at least two to three chargers in their pit areas. You can pick up a couple of these for the price of them 300+ dollar chargers. Overall I'd like to see one charger in the future that could charge two packs and let you have extra leads to run a lathe and a motor dyno all at one time. Would sure cut out on all the extra chargers you'd have to purchase.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Suspended

Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the Duratrax ICE beats every charger currently on the market.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

isnt the ICC pretty much the same as a futaba 5000 + the batterry tray?
Old 11-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

The Futaba monitors cells individually, but still charges as a complete pack...

the ICC monitors each cell individually and actually charges each cell individually as well
Old 11-24-2005, 07:15 PM

ICE charger & its setp charging, what a great charger for the investment you make.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ghostfit
If you can wait a little, the Spintech I.C.C.
Major cons:

1) Now you can't boast about your unobtainable, top team factory matched battery as used by (insert name here) as cell matching is not important anymore.
You're kidding me right? If you know anything about batteries, then you'd know that your pack is only as strong as your weakest cell. Even if you charge the cells individually, they still discharge in series, so matched packs are still just as important.

But anyways, I.C.C. looks to be a very promising charger.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Ntens:

A simple question ! .....Why do we need to match our cells ?

Ans: So that on discharge cycle, all cells reach 0.09V at about the same time so that no cells goes into reversal. i.e all cells in the pack have the same discharge A/Hr.
.....Okay, but we seldom dump our packs and we use a discharger and or EQ tray afterwards ?

.....Why do we need to Discharge/EQ tray our cells to 0.9V / 0.0 V?

Ans: So that on the charge cycle, all the cells are equally ""empty" and will peak at about the same time (With a normal peak charger)

But as anyone who has done any cell matching will know, 2 cells that have the same discharge A/Hr doesn't usually takes the same charge A/Hr. Thus with a normal peak charger some cells may be overcharged and some cells undercharged at cutoff. It is this small difference which causes the best matched packs to be "unmatched" over time/cycles.

Individual cell peak detect/cutoff makes sure that each cell is fully topped up without being overcharged

The bottom end (Discharge capacity) is not critical as we seldom run our cars until they dump.

The only case for matching cells would be to ensure you get the highest Voltage cell but that is redundant nowaday as the QC from GP and IB seldom allows any cells below specs out.

I know I'll get lots of flak and flame from pple who do battery-matching here, but honestly, in a couple months time, all this will not matter as Lipo cells comes into the market.

Until the I.C.C. come to market, .....Yes, the ICE is the best charger $$$ for $$$ !
Old 11-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sounds like the Spintech is something to look into. Anybody have a link to thier site? Or somewhere to read up on it?

Nevermind, I found it.

http://www.spintec.nl/
Old 11-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

QUOTE=Windsorguy99

The ICC does look VERY promising...but until it's available, it is all guess work and conjecture...

Okay I agree with you there

There are a lot of unanswered questions about how it will perform....and as for best support and backup in the industry....I really don't know where ths statement comes from?? I'm not saying that Spintec has poor support....I'm saying that CE, LRP/AE, Novak, etc all have great support

Yes, all these companies have great support. SUBJECTED to where you are located, ....outside of the USA ? ....Spintech REPLACES any faulty product, ANYwhere in the world and without any questions asked or requiring any RMAs to be fill in ! .....Now you know where that came from

Cell matching may even become even more critical with the ICC as the cells will now be charging and discharging to their full capacity at all times...if you have a cell with lesser capacity drop out early on you it will be very noticeable....

I have cell dropping out on me from $$$ branded name, top of the line matched pack after 5 cycles. I may be wrong on this, but with the ICC, I do not think you need the discharge/EQ tray thingy at the end of your run

for the $$$ a strong argument can be made for the Ice...

Agree fully ! ....At this point in time !

the GFX is still one of the more respected chargers out there as well...the LRP Pulsar Comp2 is very popular, as are the Much More Cell Master and Orion Advantage...

Yes, everyone of them will do more or less the same job ! ......(Slowly unmatching your matched packs)

I don't think there is a clear cut *best* charger.....although the ICC does break from the pack with some unique features....let's see how it actually works though when it finally ships...
Actually, it's not just the Spintech ICC, it the concept of charging the battery pack. I'm aware of another company doing the Individual Cell peaking concept in this part of the world.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.