Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DIY RC stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

ProudSavageOwnr>>> i'm not making fabric....I'm taking actual "virgin" i guess...carbon fiber fabric that hasn't been impregnated with resin or epoxy and doing that process myself. I'm building up carbon fiber fabric layers to make it thick like a TC chassis so I can make my own stuff. I'm trying to get 3.5 millimeter thickness. If i have any leftover "fabric" yes i'd be happy to send you some.free....but, if you want "plate" then....you'll have to wait until I'm done making it then we'll talk.

lates...
Old 12-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Yeah, that's what I figured.. is there any place that sells the epoxy in a low quantity for a decent price? I don't need a whole $40 toothpaste tube, I'll only be using a few grams of it for the whole thing..

Did you just epoxy the clamp itself or screw/bolt it on the plate as well?
Hi Jam-ehz, Try getting some arctic cooling CPU thermal epoxy if you want small quantities. JB Weld will also work quite well & is cheap. Although sometimes difficult to work with. Epoxy on its own seems to work very well as long as the epoxy is applied correctly there should be no problems. I do have a cooler that is screwed down for quick change prototyping.
Attached some more pics of my uber development unit & a smaller totally aluminium unit made for a friend.

Ross
Attached Thumbnails DIY RC stuff-img_0435.jpg   DIY RC stuff-img_0437.jpg   DIY RC stuff-img_0432.jpg   DIY RC stuff-img_0421.jpg  
Old 12-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mafiaracers
ProudSavageOwnr>>> i'm not making fabric....I'm taking actual "virgin" i guess...carbon fiber fabric that hasn't been impregnated with resin or epoxy and doing that process myself. I'm building up carbon fiber fabric layers to make it thick like a TC chassis so I can make my own stuff. I'm trying to get 3.5 millimeter thickness. If i have any leftover "fabric" yes i'd be happy to send you some.free....but, if you want "plate" then....you'll have to wait until I'm done making it then we'll talk.

lates...

so i think ur saying u got some carbon fibre cloth or sumthing and your epoxying it together to make a stiff sheet?

and if you do succeed i will be happy to buy some from you its it is good and totally flat.....i dont need much probably just a 10'' by 10'' inch peice or maybe smaller

Hi Jam-ehz, Try getting some arctic cooling CPU thermal epoxy if you want small quantities. JB Weld will also work quite well & is cheap. Although sometimes difficult to work with. Epoxy on its own seems to work very well as long as the epoxy is applied correctly there should be no problems. I do have a cooler that is screwed down for quick change prototyping.
is that a pencil sharpener in the 1st pik or some kind of fan thing.........and how the hell do you guys get frost? i only get water? wtf?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Originally Posted by ProudSavageOwnr

is that a pencil sharpener in the 1st pik or some kind of fan thing.........and how the hell do you guys get frost? i only get water? wtf?
Its a fan! shaped like a turbine. Looking at your previous pic. The heatsink looks far to small . Remember its a heat pump and can only drop the temeprature a certain amount, the cooler the hot side of the peltier the cooler the cold side gets ! Try using a larger heatsink and a copper cold side clamp. This should get frost. Also the dew point comes into play.also sometimes frost cannot be achieved if its very hot or even windy. HTH

Ross
Old 12-02-2006, 07:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm actually planning to get two peltier plates, one will cool the other, giving it the max possible cooling capacity for the bottom plate.. on the other side I have a 7200RPM fan mounted on a huge AMD heatsink.. cools one plate well enough, can't wait to see two

Yeah, the arctic stuff I'm starting to see now.. gonna have to check it out.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Tech Initiate

I built my owm motor dyno

theres a full article on how it works here

http://uk.geocities.com/dave_pickett...ew_page_17.htm
Old 12-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Constant Current Discharger

Here's my contribution. This is a constant current discharger capable of discharging up to 40 amps. The cutoff voltage is also adjustable. Since this picture I have also added a voltmeter. The two fans are there to cool the large heatsink.[IMG]pict082.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails DIY RC stuff-pict0082.jpg  
Old 12-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

hmm ill give a bigger heatsink a try......but how come the MM coolers have a small tiny heatsink n still product frost? is it the peltire im using? its only like a 40 something watt
Old 12-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Much more doesn't get frost on it, the coldest they get is around 10 degrees C.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

so i think ur saying u got some carbon fibre cloth or sumthing and your epoxying it together to make a stiff sheet?

and if you do succeed i will be happy to buy some from you its it is good and totally flat.....i dont need much probably just a 10'' by 10'' inch peice or maybe smaller

That's what I want to do...take cloth and make it stiff sheet...i'll keep you posted on my progress
Old 12-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Originally Posted by Drewdc90
The Much more doesn't get frost on it, the coldest they get is around 10 degrees C.
hmm ill give a bigger heatsink a try......but how come the MM coolers have a small tiny heatsink n still product frost? is it the peltire im using? its only like a 40 something watt
The MM units will and do get frost on them, although after sometime of being on. It will depend on the dew point, ambient temperature and environment. They have a relatively small heatsink (which does get hot, unlike mine ) but have a high speed fan ,something like 10k rpm .

The best thig is to keep the hot side as cool as possible as previosily said. Using a larger heatsink is the easiest Also use a good quality cold side material for your clamp , aluminium is good, copper is better.
Have you any more pics of you unit?
I would have thought 40w is adequate enough. The most I use is a 72w unit. HTH

Ross
Old 12-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b3buggy
The MM units will and do get frost on them, although after sometime of being on. It will depend on the dew point, ambient temperature and environment. They have a relatively small heatsink (which does get hot, unlike mine ) but have a high speed fan ,something like 10k rpm .

The best thig is to keep the hot side as cool as possible as previosily said. Using a larger heatsink is the easiest Also use a good quality cold side material for your clamp , aluminium is good, copper is better.
Have you any more pics of you unit?
I would have thought 40w is adequate enough. The most I use is a 72w unit. HTH

Ross
Silver is the best for cold But $$$
Old 12-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

Originally Posted by XrayFK
Silver is the best for cold But $$$
Yep, but like you say expensive.
Try Pure diamond something lile 5 times better at themally conducting than silver $$$$$$$$$

Last edited by b3buggy; 12-03-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:45 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

Default DIY may be a better place to ask?

In another post I asked

"When they say 30amp pulse discharge for IB3800/4200's, what is the waveform and frequency thats best for the cells? I want to design my own pulse+linear discharger. Seems easy enough considering I don't need to see the numbers (I only trust my T35's). The trinity unit seems affordable but doesn't pulse per cell."

40views in 1 day but no replies. Does anyone in this DIY thread know the answer to this one?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PeteB
Can you post some pics or let me know what the specs on the resistors were, did you use a diode of some sort to cut the circuit?

Thanks

Pete
i also am severly interested in this type of info. in another thread, i asked-

"I use a Trinity D-90 for my IB4200's, but i want to cycle my IB750 AAA's that i use for my mini-z and the products that are out there, such as the PN Racing discharger board are of inconsistent quality and function.

I have a nice digi multimeter and some ability. I know there has to be something in writing on how to use maybe some bulbs, resistors, diodes, a pot and some breadboard to make a nice discharger.

Is there anything out there that i can make that would have a 1amp discharge rate and cutoff at .9 or .7 volts, individually? I'd like to do 4 cells at once time, but bring each down individually to the cutoff voltage.

thanks!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.