R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-07-2006, 03:57 PM   #31
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Blinking every once in a while is good as well......
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Another thing to look for is a good standing position on many driver stands. Standing in front of a high speed sweeping corner that comes of the straight closest to you is very difficult to judge.
Try different standing positions to allow the car and corners to be in open view.
Once you get your Peripheral vision working for you, the above becomes a lot easier and you will also be able to note up coming corners and all other drivers positions and be able to run a mental reference on whether you are gaining or loosing.
Acheiving this requires Practice-Practice-Practice.
SJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

I would love to hear comments from top drivers like Marc, Barry, Andy M, Paulie, etc....

Some thoughts...

1) Where to look/focus.....

I like to keep a "loose" focus on my car, but concentrate on my peripheral vision to see where the next corner is, taffic etc. When I remember to do this, my lap times are much more consistent. But it is hard to do if my car is not handling well.

2) where to apex...

I like a late apex before long straights to get a run on someone for the next corner. If the straight after a corner is short, then I like an early (or mid) apex to shorten the distance and also defend anyone passing me on the inside.

3) calm those nerves...

If you are like me and get nervous before a big race, a good thing to keep your mind off the race while waiting in line is to practice driving your car around the track in your mind. To do this I will follow a car that is on the track while using my radio.

4) have an objective when you practice...

The objective could be driving technique or it could be testing specific setup changes. For example, last weekend my objective was to only work on different roll center changes and see how that changed my laptimes and consistency. Focus on one thing at a time so that you understand the effects of the changes. Some drivers don't like to use laptimes, but for me laptimes are a very important benchmark of performance. There have been times when I thought that a change in body, or setup made my car "feel better", but the lap times told me otherwise.

5) shameless plug....

If you need some help with setup, you might want to talk to people that have purhcase my Setup Guide .
Martin Crisp
SetupWorkbench.com | Power-Story.com | LearnSetup.com
Martin Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote