Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

syndr0me

NoVAK IS listening. We are working with Charlie and the NoVAK crew doing our testing...and they have been awesome to work with.

We've been testing on both the West Coast and back east, so different racer input can be derrived.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Diha, My experience has been quite different than yours. How did you measure the voltage? I am not familiar with your charger, but my Orion charger always charges em up to 8.39. I've got a few dozen cycles on them and have not noticed any deterioration.

MPH
Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
syndr0me

NoVAK IS listening. We are working with Charlie and the NoVAK crew doing our testing...and they have been awesome to work with.

We've been testing on both the West Coast and back east, so different racer input can be derrived.
Oh cool, that's good to hear! It sounds like what we really need is a quality 5V cell. I heard recently that A123 might be too busy to both with it any further. :-(
Old 04-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by diha
HI all,

Today, I tried my 1st 3200 lipo on my mini & I realised that the voltage drops with every re-charged. Is it normal? Can someone explain why.
What should I do gain back the voltage?

Initial charged: 8.4V; Run: 10 mins
2nd charged: 8.4V; Run: 10 mins
3rd charged: 8.22V; Run: 10 mins
4th charged: 7.98V; Run 10 mins.

I am using a Supernova Competition charger with contant current & contant voltage charge.

Thanks.
It sounds like you have a cell out of balance. or their is an issue going on with your charger.

First I would check to see if both cells are showing the same voltage ( it has been explained several times in this thread how to do this) then if they are not matching votage I would try to balance the pack.

If balancing does not help then I would send your battery into the manufactuers for review.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SWTour
syndr0me

Have you considerd running 380 sized brushless motors with 7.4V Lipo?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

MrBlack,

We never really considered that a viable option. We're hoping when we have full test results on what we are playing with the motor of choice will become (much like the 19t did) a cross over between ALL electric racing, On-Road, Off-Road and Paved Oval.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Is the multiplex LN-5014 the same as the Orion?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

does any know how to fix my orion lipo pack recently i make a mistake by plug in wrong polarity to my lipo pack and after i put it back correct polarity it doesn't work and not able to let you charge the lipo cell. what wrong with my lipo pack? thanks
Old 04-06-2007, 04:14 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Guo Chean
does any know how to fix my orion lipo pack recently i make a mistake by plug in wrong polarity to my lipo pack and after i put it back correct polarity it doesn't work and not able to let you charge the lipo cell. what wrong with my lipo pack? thanks

If you plugged a battery backwards into your charger; you more likely burn the fuse in the charger than actually damaging the battery. And if it's a crappy charger; you might even burn the charger! Some have reverse polarity protection.

If you plugged a battery backwards in a speedo; you can burn it out! Some might have protection but I don't think a lot of the highend ones did..
Old 04-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TEM
If you plugged a battery backwards into your charger; you more likely burn the fuse in the charger than actually damaging the battery. And if it's a crappy charger; you might even burn the charger! Some have reverse polarity protection.

If you plugged a battery backwards in a speedo; you can burn it out! Some might have protection but I don't think a lot of the highend ones did..
you mean my lipo pack gone already?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:43 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

No, I mean you can burn out a speedo, burn a charger or the fuse on the charger. It's unlikely your Lipo gets burned that way.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I recently did the same thing. There is a fuse on the negative side of the lipo battery joining the 2 cells. This fuse is designed to blow in a milli-second in the event that you reverse the polarity. I did its job very well. There was no damage to my GTB ESC or to the Orion charger. The bad news is that the battery cannot be opened and repaired. I contacted Novak and they said that the burned fuse cannot be replaced. They did offer me a one-time battery replacement at cost ($65).

I now take an extra moment to ensure that the battery polarity is correct. I use Deans plugs and will always plug the female side into the battery before connecting it to the ESC. This gives me one last chance to make sure that I didn't have momentary brain-fade. This is a hard lesson-learned and hopefully will not happen to you again.

Pete
Old 04-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TEM
No, I mean you can burn out a speedo, burn a charger or the fuse on the charger. It's unlikely your Lipo gets burned that way.
i try to open the carbon case it seem that one of the lipo cell connected tab was break and i just fix it with another wire it works but dunno whether it would works in future.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i try to open the carbon case it seem that one of the lipo cell connected tab was break and i just fix it with another wire it works but dunno whether it would works in future.
That break that you saw in the tab was the fuse. It is my personal opinion that it is not worth risking a potential fire by trying to repair the battery. If Orion doesn't recommend replacing the fuse for safety reasons, I must respect their recommendation. Spending $65 on a replacement battery is worth not potentially losing your car, your home, or worse.

Pete

PS In my previous response, I mentioned that I contacted Novak. I meant to say Team Orion.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Pete Thomas,

Was that a Peak/Orion 3200 battery that blew a fuse?

If so, why would you call Novak to find out about repairs? LOL you already corrected yourself...

This will be something we'll have to advise about and be very careful with, but the rules we are working on will NOT allow ANY Battery to be run if the Plastic case is DAMAGED or has been TAMPERED WITH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.