Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Iceracer
So what do you say to the skeptics at the track who say that lipo's still have significant safety issues in response to why they are not accepted for competition. Others say the lipos are an unfair advantage, as they put out 7.4 volts, not 7.2, so you can't mix them in with nimh cars.
For the safety issue I ask to see there cellphone and show then the battery inside, 9 out of 10 times they are sticking a Li-Po battery next to their ear and in their pocket near there groin everyday.

Next about the Advantage thing I say charge your NiMH battery does it charge out to more then 8.4V? If so then where is the advantage.

Then I let them know where in the area they can find our battery =) LOL!

The main unfair advantage to Li-Po is it get's rid of the "battery of the month club" and also puts everyone on a level playing field which some racers do not like, as they rely on their "legal advantages" to move up the grid. It also becomes a fraction of the price of NiMH over a very short period of time and many battery "sorters" and some hobbyshops are not liking the idea of a battery that could provide their customers with less need to spend money.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
For the safety issue I ask to see there cellphone and show then the battery inside, 9 out of 10 times they are sticking a Li-Po battery next to their ear and in their pocket near there groin everyday.

Next about the Advantage thing I say charge your NiMH battery does it charge out to more then 8.4V? If so then where is the advantage.

The main unfair advantage to Li-Po is it get's rid of the "battery of the month club" and also puts everyone on a level playing field which some racers do not like, as they rely on their "legal advantages" to move up the grid. It also becomes a fraction of the price of NiMH over a very short period of time and many battery "sorters" and some hobbyshops are not liking the idea of a battery that could provide their customers with less need to spend money.
MrBlack - well said...

I terms of "unfair advantage" regarding the "nominal voltage" of the packs 7.2v NiMH to 7.4v LiPo.

When are you guys going to get a "unbiased" third party to do a comprehesive test of the performance of LiPo V NiMH? We have the CSIRO (which is a Australian Government funded scientific research organisation) that does this type of work. There must be someone in the USA that could do it.

Then you can submit this to ROAR for approval Our approved list in Australia comes from the ROAR approved list.

Then ROAR will see just how good the newest NiMH cells are performing under load compared to the LiPo packs out there... I would doubt the advantage is on the LiPo side...

Last edited by r0adrunn3r; 02-15-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Small problem, Speedtech has been out of stock on the 3200's for weeks. I found them on e-bay for $79.99, but you gotta watch for them.

I believe all racers have a budget. I've been competing for close to 15 years. Racers spend on race fee's, equipment, motors, batteries, tool and hop-ups. (etc.) The frustration comes in when your 3 month old batteries have been eclipsed by the NEW XX00 mahr cells and to stay competitive you have buy a new "set" of packs and build them. Some spend all there budget on batteries and forgo the hop-ups for now. They are so busy managing their batteries they fall short on time for set-up, maintanance and working on there driving skills. Others just try to manage with the packs they have and are stuck in the B or C.

All this leads to FRUSTRATION or apathy resulting in another soul lost to the hobby as their interest is lost. Who looses in the long run? The local track and the local hobby shops as well as the remaining racers. The battery importers, manufacturers make their money today. But the hobby looses.

There are so many battery matchers out there because of demand. If you compete, you want the advantage or at least the same output. that cost lots of dollar$$$$$.

If the hobby is to grow, the cost need to be reasonable and the waste needs to stop. How many land fills are full of old R/C battery packs. I doubt everyone recycles propperly.

Now if you told a new potential customer/racer that the battery costs is $100, but you only need one or two and they will last for 10 years with no degradation in performance, the cost savings is obvious. More folks would take the plunge and the hobby would grow. The same argument works for the motor of the week club as a NEED for brushless technology in the sport also.

Racers would have more funds for hop-ups. Hobby shops would have more customers spending at their shops instead of spending on mail-order/internet batteries or others that just don't bother with sport/hobby.

The ultimate loosers are the battery matchers and motor builders as well as their suppliers. Here is where ALL the resistance to brushless and lipos begins. "follow the money"

I will now get off my soapbox.

That's all I got to say bout that....

MPH
One more time... My take on the sort sighted hobby shop....

MPH
Old 02-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Well said sir.... I love mine,but other ppl at the track are giving me crap about running them. There are trying to say that my car is way to light and i have all the punch in the world threw out the whole 5 min. And most of this is coming from guy's running the same car but using NIMH.But here's the kicker some are running Mod and im just running a stock motor. I try and tell these guy's that all the power they have can hurt there driving more than help it.Onemore thing,can you keep the balancer on there and charger it like that?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Iceracer
So what do you say to the skeptics at the track who say that lipo's still have significant safety issues in response to why they are not accepted for competition. Others say the lipos are an unfair advantage, as they put out 7.4 volts, not 7.2, so you can't mix them in with nimh cars.
new IB4200s has a voltage of AT LEAST 1.24 per cell.

1.24 x 6 cells = 7.44

'nuff said

cant mention more.. everyone else who posted before me have already mentioned the advantages of lipo.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hebiki
new IB4200s has a voltage of AT LEAST 1.24 per cell.

1.24 x 6 cells = 7.44

'nuff said

cant mention more.. everyone else who posted before me have already mentioned the advantages of lipo.
And that would be on the stickers on the cell after matching!!! Average Voltage 1.24 at 30amps. Run time 400+ sec
Old 02-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey when it comes to run time the 4300 are much better on that..But i went out to the track oneday and ran my pack for about 15min and it wasn't the batt.that gave out 1st it was the motor. And my cut off wasn't even kicking in yet,so i think if your car is setup right,you can run for about 15 to 20min maybe.And we have a big on-road track here.

Last edited by Chris g.; 02-15-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

should i be running a cut of switch running lipo 3200
Old 02-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Yes just to be safe.. You don't want the batt.going below 6.25V..
Old 02-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

who makes them? etc and thanks
Old 02-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Here you go this is what i am useing.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=NOV5470
Old 02-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Mr. Black
I couldnt agree with you more I finally broke down and got the Avionics charger, and it is sweet. Still takes over an hour to charge to capacity, but way faster than the Much More. People will always criticize what they dont understand. The problem I am having is that our track that we run at in the summer wants to open up to any Lipo pack . They gave me links to the companies that are selling lipos and I looked at them and, it is scary what people are selling out there. The packs for sale look like they are assembled in someones basement. My issue is that no one out there is making a lipo with specs similar or identical to Orions. How would you do this? I wanted to mandate that the only legal Lipo be the Peak/Orion because of the techability. That got shot down, yet the same group were b itching because of the safety issues. My 3200 doesnt even get warm to the touch after a full charge. I would believe that you would have to do something pretty drastic to blow one of these up.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pug 205 gti
who makes them? etc and thanks
I just picked up these: L.O.A.
Activates at 3.15V/cell. With my kids driving, I wanted an alarm that you couldn't mistake rather than a throttle cut. It's a little bulky as well but you have more placement options because you don't have to hook up to the ESC lead. The alarm also goes off after 60 minutes to remind you that the battery is still plugged in in case you forget...
Old 02-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Chris don't worry about the crybabys that don't want to beleave you hold the record we know the truth you da man!!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Hey Todd. How many mAh go back into your pack after a race? Any idea what its voltage is when you first put it back on the charger? I think mine is around 7.4. It's 8.4 when it's done charging.

Charlie said a while back that if the stator in the motor gets too hot, it will definitely fade. With the sintered rotor, you wouldn't think that would be a problem. Maybe I'm just overgearing it, I just checked and I was closer to a 45MM rollout for my last race where it was VERY noticeable.

Hey Syn -

It's around the same... I'll have to check next time but Ithink it was at 7.53 last night after I ran and peaked at 8.4.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.