Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo >

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Old 12-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brooksy
just ordered a set of team orion lipo.whith my old nimh,i ran a pwer cap across battery connections on esc,will this still be ok or shell i have to remove it??????

many thanks
martin
The power cap should stay, it won't hurt to keep it. I run power caps on my esc and on my receiver when either NiMH and LiPo packs power my car.

The chemical reaction that takes place in a battery takes a little time to get going to produce current. The cap is there to "fill this time gap" by suppling the current instantaneously.

So a power cap makes the batteries life a little easier.

Tony
Old 12-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile

Just a quick thankyou Tony for your quick response

martin
Old 12-29-2006, 06:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi I'm new to the forums, but I've been doing a lot of research on these Lipo batteries.

I went ahead and followed MrBlack's advice on getting the Orion Avionics Advanced Charger. It works wonderfully I say it was a great deal!

My question is that the charger instructions say NOT to use a car battery as a power source. Why would that be a problem? If it is definitely not recommended to use, then what is a good power source to use when at the field?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phresko
My question is that the charger instructions say NOT to use a car battery as a power source.
Are you sure?

I have seen not to use a "car battery charger" as the power supply, a 12V car battery should be fine...
Old 12-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have been running the 3200s for about 3-4 months now and I just wonder if anyone else has noticed that they just don't seem to be as fast as IB4200s when running brushed motors(CO27)? I seem to lose about 2-3 tenths when comparing the li-po to the IB4200s. But when using brushless motors they are faster.

Just curious,

Later,
Old 12-30-2006, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

My question is that the charger instructions say NOT to use a car battery as a power source.
is the 12v car battery or the R/C car battery it is reffering too??

12v is okay
Old 12-30-2006, 12:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think the lipos should never get better than the sub-c's.
Lipos are for the budget racer not the seasoned racer.
Sub-c should stay better power wise. This will keep the buget racer happy, the industry booming and the seasoned racer fast. Lipo has the power to make or break, same as the brushless.
And I think the brush motor should always have a edge on the brushless.
It should be a standard that the lipo brushless does not exceed the, sub-c or brush motors. If the industry where to convert to brushless lipo it would need a racer growth rate that is impossible to figure. As far the manufacturers are concerned. Just 2 cent's. Not the whole picture just some of it.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

I`m seasoned racer
i preferr the orion Li-Po over the c-cells ,easier to look after & charge
also this gives me the most important thing that money can`t buy

Time to give to my son @track side to help him get better
instead of going back to the table making sure full charge in c-cells, discharging properly .putting the discharged pk away & saying to my son `NOT NOW I`M TOO BUSY LOOKING AFTER THESE OLD HAT BATTS ,GO AWAY & DO IT YOURSELF`

so you can see why i think they are here to stay @ racing level & not just for Budget racer

also the Budget racer far out weigh`s the seasoned racer re;;money spent in shops
most seasoned racers are sponsered in one way or another & they are few & far between compared to budget racers which with out these guy`s this hobby won`t be here !!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 06:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by r0adrunn3r
Are you sure?

I have seen not to use a "car battery charger" as the power supply, a 12V car battery should be fine...
You know you are right....Page 3 of the manual states "Do not use automotive type battery chargers to power the charger"

But I'm still a little confused. On the first page of the manual there's a note that says:

"Team Orion Avionics does not recommend the use of an automobile battery as a power supply. This is due to errors that can arise which may cause damage to cells and or charger."

What errors can arise from using a car battery?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
I`m seasoned racer
i preferr the orion Li-Po over the c-cells ,easier to look after & charge
also this gives me the most important thing that money can`t buy

Time to give to my son @track side to help him get better
instead of going back to the table making sure full charge in c-cells, discharging properly .putting the discharged pk away & saying to my son `NOT NOW I`M TOO BUSY LOOKING AFTER THESE OLD HAT BATTS ,GO AWAY & DO IT YOURSELF`

so you can see why i think they are here to stay @ racing level & not just for Budget racer

also the Budget racer far out weigh`s the seasoned racer re;;money spent in shops
most seasoned racers are sponsered in one way or another & they are few & far between compared to budget racers which with out these guy`s this hobby won`t be here !!!!

That's the reason why I switched over to lipo and brushless. To spend more time on my son's car.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Default Got me started now

see i`m not the only one
Time is so important to me & the Orion Li-Po gives me that

spouting off now (bear with me)
50 drivers max @ this local club
My son harry (9) only been racing since summer once a fortnight indoors friday eve`s ,did not have a car at home before racing , he said he wants to race with me ,next dat got a tamiya TL-01 went racing that week , he now gets out of the E finals & is just shy off the C finals ,that coz i spend TIME with him before,during & after the race ,he has he`s tantrums but i`m there to help out instead of having my sorry arse buried in my c-cell charging/discharging palava regime

some say he`s lucky he has the knack of driving
i say he`s dad is helping the situ with he`s driving
hell he does all c-cell charging,changes he`s own batts ,puts additive on he`s own tyres (waste a lot ) but does it himself

when i do motors @ Home he sit`s by me & watches what i do

Shit must get off my `Soap box` hear (sorry)
Old 12-30-2006, 07:14 AM
Tech Lord

I run brushless lipo for all those reasons as well.
I just think if we dont recognize the battery companies are probably going to take a hit they need to keep the sub-c's and brushes alive. If you and I run batteries and motors for over a year or even two. The tracks will be open but a brushless motor will cost 200.00. Now the club racer for fun is right back where we started, I to am a father.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:20 AM
Tech Lord

Of coarse I'm not seeing both sides, I'm sure the manufacturers have projected this thought.
If I had to go back to brushes and sub-c, revell here I come.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 12-30-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

"Team Orion Avionics does not recommend the use of an automobile battery as a power supply. This is due to errors that can arise which may cause damage to cells and or charger."

What errors can arise from using a car battery?
I am not Mr. Black but I know that a 12V car battery is just that a raw 12V.
A quality 12V Power Supply is a regulater and a very constant amount of Voltage. Meaning it delivers the 12V smoothly without any Voltage peaks and what not.
A Car Battery (12V) can and will change Voltage throughout the charge period and can cause the charger to false peak and a spiking Voltage is not good either.
Use a quality Power Supply with that charger.
Here is the cheapest quality one I could find.
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv200.htm

Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
Old 12-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
I run brushless lipo for all those reasons as well.
I just think if we dont recognize the battery companies are probably going to take a hit they need to keep the sub-c's and brushes alive. If you and I run batteries and motors for over a year or even two. The tracks will be open but a brushless motor will cost 200.00. Now the club racer for fun is right back where we started, I to am a father.
Did the Video boys have this scenerio when DVD`s came along & Vinyle to CD is the same thing
think the batt boys will adjust ,some will go , some will convert , some will stay as is
one thing though there be Li-Po matchers along the way ,new company`s will rise up ,old ones will go

i do believe there is only a certain time limit for companys to stay around on this planet
It`s life , And we can`t controll it, just go with the Flow i say & progress

Last edited by MR JOLLY; 12-30-2006 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.