Wiki Posts
Search

new here... my first car purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boltaction
So I'm assuming that ESC stands for electronic speed control. is that run off the battery or is it a standalone unit? It sounds like a definite must buy.

gee-dub- Do you think the novak 5800 would work with this chassis? I'm not really thinking of upgrading quite yet, as I have yet to receive the car. But once I run a few battery loads thru it we'll see.

I Just wanna get the thing in my hands and get the battery charged so i can take it for a run. I would think that the manual will tell me exactly what kind of car it is and where to get parts. Does anyone know if Smarttech has a website or anything?

Anyways, thanks everyone for responding. Sounds like everyone here knows what they're talking about. These are some good forums you got here.

Later,

Steve
The ESC goes between the battery and motor, somewhat like an ECU chip in full sized cars. It basically regulates how much electric current goes from the batteries to the motor.
Honestly, I don't think that car can handle anything more than a silver can 540. A brushless would destroy the car from the inside out. Like tbeardmore said, you are better off starting with a decent entry level car from a "good" rc company such as: HPI, Tamiya, Losi, etc. Smarttech is pretty much a "toy" brand rc car.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

you might want to start at http://www.sicorpusa.com/ that's where the video is from
Old 07-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just looking through their products there and noticed their car 'w/ digital speed control' looks very similar to a TL-01.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Tech Regular

is it a HBX Tamiya clone? Tamiya parts fit
Old 08-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Rookie

We'll I got it today and its charging right now. Thing doesent look too bad for $100. I mean i'm 22 and i work every day so if I blew $100 on a cheap RC car i'm really not too worried about it.

It is a smartech. and there is a parts list in the back of the owners guide. looks to be fairly well put together. like I said before I'm new at this, so on ebay I could'nt tell a good RC company from a toy RC company. I'm not looking to race these things, I just wanted a pretty cool toy. which this seems to be. I'll let you guys know how it works.

thanks for the information evryone.

Steve
Old 08-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Default SMART TECH

From your post you seem to have made up your mind for the Smart tech car.
if you break things there is no where to get parts., You would be much better off with a tamiya kit or ready to run. the kits are under $100, instructions excellent a Tamiya makes the finest RC cars. All parts fit exactly, they have an excellent customer service. the US headquarters are in the U.S. and many Hobbyshops carry their products. Check them out first. It is your money go for whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

anyone noticed that the picture of the car with the body on is a nitro car!! Look on the right side of the body and you will see the stinger for the exhaust.Look by the # 12 sticker
Old 08-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I noticed it by the fuel hose you could see through the cabin in a front on picture.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yea we had this Smartech kits sold here in Malaysia few years ago.

They were the ones that most QD racers get after experimenting on QD cars.

The parts are difficult to get and you might be better off getting a Tamiya kit.

Just my 2 cents though!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had one of these for my first car, the parts were pretty easy to get. My LHS still has and gets parts for them. They are a very good starter car and are probably better than a tt01. The diffs are fairly strong, I use to run a 15 turn in mine and the diffs looked brand new after 6 months of driving.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Tech Regular

they are good for the price
tamiya quality is over rated
Old 08-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Oh yeah... this is pretty sweet! I took it down to a park and ride lot a couple towns over. I'm pretty impressed so far. Compared to other electric cars i've owned, this thing is just sick. It really does have some power to it and it also handles way better than I expected.The all-wheel drive makes taking nice hard turns at speed really fun. I only ran the battery that came with it which was an 1800 Mah and it ran real strong for at least 12 or 13 minutes, seemed to have plenty of powerthe new ones I got are 3200 Mah. I'm hoping for some more power and more running time. I plan on getting an ESC pretty soon. So far I'm not dissapointed.

See ya,

Steve
Old 08-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh yeah... this is pretty sweet! I took it down to a park and ride lot a couple towns over. I'm pretty impressed so far. Compared to other electric cars i've owned, this thing is just sick. It really does have some power to it and it also handles way better than I expected.The all-wheel drive makes taking nice hard turns at speed really fun. I only ran the battery that came with it which was an 1800 Mah and it ran real strong for at least 12 or 13 minutes, seemed to have plenty of powerthe new ones I got are 3200 Mah. I'm hoping for some more power and more running time. I plan on getting an ESC pretty soon. So far I'm not dissapointed.

See ya,

Steve
with the new larger battery packs you have, you will find a noticable increase in power and runtime, enjoy
Old 08-04-2006, 04:45 AM
Tech Regular

yeah, i noticed a fuel tank in there...

just a suggestion, for the time being stick with the 540 silver motor you got with the car, if you get a much more powerful motor you will probably strip out your gears, which will probably be hard to replace. Also at higher speeds you will break stuff more easily if you hit things, and your run time will be shorter.

Also dont run one battery and then immediatly switch over to a fresh battery, let it cool down between runs. I melted (literally, melted the endbell, smoke and everything) the motor in my first car, which was heartbreaking as a kid.

Have fun with the car, and if you want to go faster, save your money and buy a decent used setup from someone at a track who is upgrading to the latest and greatest, you'll get a A grade gear at a reasonable price. which is better than B grade gear at a 'bargain' price...

I have a basharound car, for the parking lot and save 'decent' car for racing...

Old 08-04-2006, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

See ya,

Steve
Sounds good, as long as you are having fun that's all that matters. Replacing the mechanical speed controller with an ESC will give you more efficiency (more runtime) and much smoother throttle control.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.