Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can I glue foam tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default How can I glue foam tires?

I'm trying to glue foam tires, how do I go about doing this? I remember reading about this a long time ago but I can't recall the process. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bbfwd
I'm trying to glue foam tires, how do I go about doing this? I remember reading about this a long time ago but I can't recall the process. Thanks!
It's been a while (20+ years) but I don't think it's changed much:

1. Roughen up the rim so that the tire cement will stick. A course emerycloth will do.

2. Put a lay of rubber cement (available at hardware stores) on both the tire and the rim, let dry for a hour or two maybe overnight, if you don't let it dry the cement will come off or will be sueeze toward one side of the rim.

3. Then get a coffee can filled with lacquer thinner and dunk both tire and rim for to soften the glue.

4. Slide the tire over the rim (it helps if you have a tire horn or cone), set aside to dry overnight, then trim the tire.

A very messy and smelling job, do it outdoors. It's something you do the night before a race.

Hope this helps. You can tell I buy premounted tires now. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Be careful putting the wheels in lacquer thinner as the compound of the wheels has changed. The last time I tried to use thinners the rim melted into a glob of plastic. They may have changed the compound of the plastic in the last little while but be aware that this could happen.

Try a junk wheel and tire combo first to be sure you don't wreck a good set of rims.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I along with others I race with just use wood glue. Put some on the rim and some on the inside of the tire then just slide the tire on the rim. You shouldn't have much, if any glue on the outside of the tire or rim. Let it dry overnight and then true the tires. I works very well for me and others so you might want to give it a try.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Wood glue... Hmmmm.... I've got some aluminum pan car wheels and some donuts I've been dreading mounting....
Old 07-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the responses guys!

Do I just use plain old rubber cement? I've heard that some premounts use Cyanoacrylate (CA) glue. How did they manage to do that? What kind of plastic will stand up, what kind will melt?

Also, how long roughly should I dunk in lacquer to soften the rubber cement?

Thanks again for the helpful responses!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I wish it was easier and cheaper to mount your own tires. I got tons and tons of 1/12th and nitro sedan wheels that just need new foam.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I've been using CA to mount my 1/12th tires, since the rims I'm using are ABS and will melt if exposed to lacquer thinner. I just mount the tire to the rim, then run a bead along both sides and the middle of the mounted tire. A helluva lot less messy than mounting with cement, but if you've got nylon wheels and are dead-set on using rubber cement, Delta Mfg. sells the stuff you need.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have been using contact cement that I buy at the home center for over 20 years - Weldwood. You won't have any trouble with the rims and lacquer thinner from a quick dip to activate the glue like Vaboom says - but you might if you are using the thinner so soak the old rubber off the rim.

It's still cheaper to mount your own rubber if you shop for donuts carefully - watch rc4less.com for sales. I just bought some 1/10 rear pan car donuts for $12/pr (white/gray/black/pink compounds) - 1 pr rear donuts make 2 pair 1/10 pan car fronts or a full set of sedan tires. Old style compounds like green and aqua are even less.

The bonus is that if you take the time to use 2 coats of glue (allow to dry between coats) you will chunk fewer tires. You can also make your own "plaid" (outside edge with hard rubber like dbl blue or orange compounds and softer inner rubber) to avoid rollovers and improve wear. Carefully dry mount the harder donut on a wheel and use use a drill press or tire lathe and carefully slice off a thinner (3/8") donut - then glue on the edge of the softer donut and mount on the wheel with the hard edge on the outside.

Used to win a lot of races until others figured it out!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Great advice, thanks!

SMcpot,

How did you use CA glue without having the foam soak up the CA and harden? I tried it with a test chunk of foam and the foam soaked up the CA.

Which forms a stronger bond, CA glue or contact cement?
Old 07-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bbfwd
Great advice, thanks!

SMcpot,

How did you use CA glue without having the foam soak up the CA and harden? I tried it with a test chunk of foam and the foam soaked up the CA.

Which forms a stronger bond, CA glue or contact cement?
Shouldn't be a problem if you're using medium or thick CA. I just apply it very sparingly and haven't really ever had a problem with the rubber soaking the glue up. In terms of strength, I guess the contact cement would form a better bond simply because it's more flexible than CA and won't be affected by the rim flexing.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

I don't have any experience with contact cement. So can't answer that. As for how long to dip the tire and rim, a few seconds will do (probably 5 seconds). It's mainly to make it easier to slip the tire on the rim. The thinner will bond the two pieces together.

Delta Mfg. WOW, that brings back memories, didn't know that they were still in RC. Use to talk Bill and Ken Campbell alot, especially at the McCoy. Yes, they're cement was probably the best, even if you raced Associated.

Well, so much for name dropping. Anyway, one of the best reasons to mount your own foams, is that you can custom your foams. Example - 2/3 soft or medium on the inside with 1/3 hard on the outside. Or like I did a few times, make a concours set, foam wider than the rim so that shaped it more like a real tire.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Tech Rookie

I just took a good look at some premounted tires I have. Is it normal to be able to peel the foam away from the tire? When I use my thumb to push the sidewalls, the foam lifts off of the tire and I can see the strings of glue stretching across the gap from the tire to the wheel. It almost looks like it was attached with double-sided tape, but upon further inspection I think it's some sort of glue.

Is that normal to have such a weak bond? Would a good rubber cement bond to the tire make it so that the foam itself would come apart before lifting from the wheel?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

You can use the glue that is used to repair neoprene dive suits; available at dive shop. Coat rim and inside of tire. Dip rim in lacquer thinner. Slide tire over tire horn (Kimbrough).
Old 07-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey all,

I just use some thick slow drying glue like Pattex, Bisonkit, shoe glue should also work...

I use a an old brush to put some glue inside the tyre and on the rim (which I prepare using some sandpaper) Immediately after I put the tyre on the rim and let it dry overnight.
Afterwards true the tyre and than break in the tyre for one or two packs... I feel the tyres are inconstent the first few packs after trueing.

To roughen up the rim you can use your tyre truer and hold the sandpaper just against the wheel as the machine is turning.

I never user thinners since these make the thicker glue dry up to fast and it gets more difficult to put the tyre over the rim.

Only my 12th scale tyres become unglued sometimes because they face higher lateral forces. In these cases I again use thick glue and let m dry overnight.

To repair tyre chunks check:

http://markpayneblog.blogspot.com/

good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.