Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best gearing for Komodo Dragon 19T spec Pro motor? >

Best gearing for Komodo Dragon 19T spec Pro motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best gearing for Komodo Dragon 19T spec Pro motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Since you all seem very knowledgeable on motors I'll hijack this thread a bit and ask about gearing for the Checkpoint Money 19T. Guys at my track are running 1.3 (33mm) rollout on them and I also cant keep the temp down. The brushes dont seem to burn up (turn purplish but still work) and the comm doesnt get as bad as the KD. The motor does come off 240 degrees though.
Checkpoints are the Sh#t just used the silver and your golden the checkpoint is the motor of choice at are track rollout should be between 30-33mm when you cut the comm and break the motor in at 2 volts you want to be around 4-7 amps. with the KD I cut the comm and broke it in at 2 volts the motor was pulling 3.5 amps I thought the motor was done, put the car on the track and the speed was insane so don't be caught up in high amp# for overheating the lower amps the better
Old 07-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
Checkpoints are the Sh#t just used the silver and your golden the checkpoint is the motor of choice at are track rollout should be between 30-33mm when you cut the comm and break the motor in at 2 volts you want to be around 4-7 amps. with the KD I cut the comm and broke it in at 2 volts the motor was pulling 3.5 amps I thought the motor was done, put the car on the track and the speed was insane so don't be caught up in high amp# for overheating the lower amps the better
When you say silver do you mean the infinity brushes? I had the regular atlas brushes on there this past weekend. I'll try the infinity and see how they do.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ran the f brush and the com wasn't discolored at all, the brushes still had serrations left, ran a purple/red combo, it was 100 deg inside and I ran one puny little 25mm end ball fan on top of the can, I even was lazy and just cleaned out the motor and ran it again and still had tons of speed.

Try the f-brush, worked great all weekend.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bigdog xxx-s
I ran the f brush and the com wasn't discolored at all, the brushes still had serrations left, ran a purple/red combo, it was 100 deg inside and I ran one puny little 25mm end ball fan on top of the can, I even was lazy and just cleaned out the motor and ran it again and still had tons of speed.

Where's a good place to get f brushes from? The pictures I see of them they are uncut. Is that true?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
I have heard the XXX brush holds up much better on the KD. I am waiting on mine to try it myself.

The KD is so darn tuff to gear. The first time out with one I burnt it up I did not feel it was over geared or under geared. It was fast thought
Its all about brush choice and gearing, springs are important also, go light on it and it will rock, heavy springs will make it "look" faster in the pit area, but the track is what matters.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Glowster21
We run a 60x90 technical track with a long straight and 2 high speed sweepers. The really fast guys are turning consistent 10.4 - 10.5 second laps. One of the motors that literally dripped epoxy after a run was frozen with a Crazy Ronnie Motor Freezer before the run, had the Double Cool Can Fan in an RDX, and was rolled out at 29mm. When I rolled out at 30mm on my RDX the motor dropped off so hard with 30 seconds left I thought I was running a silver can 540. 26.5mm has been the optimum so far for those of us that have been testing them on that particular track.
Joe, when i was up there i had that kd around 29mm if i rememer, no motor freezer, just 1 small fan on the endbell. My car didn't fade at all, and you saw the rip i had
Old 07-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Where's a good place to get f brushes from? The pictures I see of them they are uncut. Is that true?
They are serrated, most major motor tuners carry them, you can click on the link at the bottom and get with Mike Skeen the owner and he can hook ya up.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Default Checkpoint 19T "Money"

We run TC (with CS-27's) on asphalt 85' x 50' with grape soda down.
I just recently cut my motor and put the 'Infinity" brushes with the stock springs. I have a TC4 geared 23/69 and the car is ballistic out of the corners and down the straights. I could gear it up to 24 or 25 but I love the torque the motor has coming out of the turns.

I have heard both good and bad things about this motor before I bought one and decided to judge for myself. So far so good!

I am also running the "ducted fan" setup from AE, and with a track temp around 145-150...my motor comes off between 160-170.

Jeff

-Team Enigma
-Cajun RC Raceway
Old 07-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigdog xxx-s

Yea we ran the F brush also with purple/purple.. like he said if was around 100 degrees inside the building and we ran that motor in practice and one heat or about 3 packs before I cut the comm... the comm looked great but the serrations were almost gone. I probably could have pulled a taller gear yet. I didnt run a fan. I really like this motor and I am glad we can run it in Vegas
I get my F brushes from EA Motorsports
Old 07-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I use F-Brushes on my KD as well and it works great
Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by PitCrew
Depends on the size of the track.

Start with a relatively small pinion and go up untill your lap times start to fall back off just a bit, then go back down one tooth.

I started at a 31 pinion and it seemed that everyone was catching up to me on the straight. Lots of low end torque. So I geared up, and 32 seemed still a little slow, but I tried 34 and it almost smoked on me.

I'm not really sure what you guys are talking about in terms of "roll-out", but I'm using regular 24mm medium narrow dish rims, with Tamiya B3 tires. I know the roll-out has some involvement with the final gear ratio calculation, but this is still not too clear to me.

I've been testing at the Tamiya USA track in Aliso Viejo, if any locals can shoot me some advice on this motor, that'd be appreciated.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Porkibear
I started at a 31 pinion and it seemed that everyone was catching up to me on the straight. Lots of low end torque. So I geared up, and 32 seemed still a little slow, but I tried 34 and it almost smoked on me.

I'm not really sure what you guys are talking about in terms of "roll-out", but I'm using regular 24mm medium narrow dish rims, with Tamiya B3 tires. I know the roll-out has some involvement with the final gear ratio calculation, but this is still not too clear to me.

I've been testing at the Tamiya USA track in Aliso Viejo, if any locals can shoot me some advice on this motor, that'd be appreciated.

Rollout is the distance the car travels with one revolution of the motor. So it takes into consideration your gear ratio and tire size.

gearchart.com can create a rollout chart for you.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm not really sure what you guys are talking about in terms of "roll-out"
Rollout = tire diameter X 3.14 / FDR (final drive ratio spur/pinion x internal)

Rollout is the amount of distance traveled per one revolution of the motor

Last edited by FTNTC3; 07-18-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Addict

Find Walter Cosico there this weekend at the TCS, he should be running that motor and would be happy to help.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

run the KD around 7.0 - 7.3 for the Tamiya Track