R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Kyosho KX-One (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/12193-kyosho-kx-one.html)

Leon 01-20-2003 04:25 PM

Kyosho KX-One

I have a question. Why is so little said about the Kyosho KX-One and how come it seems no one runs them? Are they bad? or is it just the lack of parts support? What exactly makes them so rare? Around here, it seems like TC3s and XXX-Ss dominate the market.

seaball 01-20-2003 05:19 PM

yeah, here in the states the american companies are prevalent. i had two kxone's a while back. it's an expensive car that resells for next to nothing do to lack of interest. the diff costs $70 extra, and the one way kept blowing out if you ran too much bump travel. kyosho wasn't helping anyone with this issue, insisting that it was our (the u.s.) dots that twere tearing up the one way. so that's why they aren't very common.

when i did run it, i did like the drivetrain. so efficient. however, i ran a standard ride height, and the car would roll over all the time. it was only recently that i realized that kyosho recommends 3mm rh. that's really low. so low that most big races won't allow it. it's usually around 5mm minimum. i wish i had one to play with again, as i never gave mine a chance on the track. the car is very durable, but maybe not as adjustable as many would like since the hingepins are locked in place, and i don't know of optional roll center blocks.

that's my .02

Leon 01-20-2003 06:30 PM

Thanks for the info. As a beginner I'm not sure that it would really effect me to be able to adjust everything, such as the roll center. My thing is just that I like to see different designs, different ways of thinking.

Just look at the 414... I don't even know who started that design, but pretty much every dual belt drive Touring Car has that same format to some degree. Don't get me wrong I like the 414, but seems like more or less a tuned copy of someone elses' innovation.

I love the Losi car, it's very unique but everyone runs them. It's really obvious a lot of thought went into designing it vs a TC3 which seems like it's nothing special. Maybe it's the simplicity that makes it great. Sometimes I wonder also maybe it's cause these two companies have such large amounts of money and great drivers to promote them. The KX-One is really different, that's why I'm curious.

skibum989 01-20-2003 08:31 PM

I love my Losi, and the new Kawada Sigma looks to be very interesting. The RCLab 7even is also a pretty unique car.

Korey Harbke 01-20-2003 08:35 PM

The dual belt drive was pinoneered my hpi and yokomo if I'm correct. Yokomo starteded it and Hpi made it popular with the original pro, then they made it even better with the pro 2, and then screwed it all up with the pro3. :lol:

The kxone is a good car. It just needs better parts support. Plus kyosho, hpi, and tamiya parts are relativly expensive compared to the losi and AE. The losi is a great car. Me and Skibum989 both enjoy it at Rain City. I've tried many touring cars. I've driven x-ray, losi, tc3, everything hpi, tamiya 414/tao4. They are all good. It just depends on part support and driver skill. I use a kyosho v1r dispite the cost of parts, but it dosen't really matter because it's a rock and hasn't borken yet. I think I might have met you too at rain city. You were driveing a 414m II and your friend had the insane pro3. :sneaky:

-Sushi Boy

Mingfinity 01-20-2003 08:40 PM

Seems the one who pioneered dual belt is Kyosho with their Lazer buggy and Yokomo
the one who make use of dual belt in Touring is HPI RS4 PRO and Yokomo 's YR4

Korey Harbke 01-20-2003 08:42 PM

oh I forgot about those. I was morely shooting for tourings cars anyways.

skibum989 01-20-2003 08:45 PM

I've driven x-ray, losi, tc3, everything hpi, tamiya 414/tao4.
Sushi Boy,

Whose Xray did you drive?

boner 01-20-2003 09:20 PM

I'm running one and the car is like a tank, except the 1 way bearing issuse. As for the 1way bearing, I think it's more likely on the quality of bearing used by kyosho. I have set of oem 1way bearing dead just running the car with the wheels off the ground. I replace the 1way bearing with boca bearing. The bearing from boca are from the same manufactor and same part # but they are constructed differently from kyosho's bearing. The 1way bearing I get from boca is more well build. It last me for a long time but it was killed when the lube from the 2 sheild bearing seek into the 1way.
As for the traction roll, you have to get used to the handling of the car. The car have high CG and the inital steering response is very quick makes the car more likely to roll on high traction carpet.

Leon 01-20-2003 11:06 PM

I have met you Sushi Boy. I think I've made the connection now. They always talk about "Sushi Boy" at Redmond Hobbies. I'm pretty sure I know who Skibum is too. Hmm... SKI bum? hah! As for my name... it's not exactly discrete. HAHA.

ernestf 01-21-2003 04:49 AM

my KX1 with conversion kit and 2 speed

1 Attachment(s)
hey, this is my KX1 which i run with 23T stock motor.

it is not my primary car (ie, not running every weekend), but i do like its adjustable weight distribution (by shifting the batteries mounting positions) and smoothly engaged 2 speed system.

seaball 01-21-2003 08:08 AM

i love that conversion kit. if i could get another kx with the conversion cheap, i would. well done. it's just fun to look at.

Darkseid 01-21-2003 09:44 AM

ernestf: where did you get that conversion kit from? I haven't seen it anywhere.

As for parts support. As long as you don't mind ordering from TowerHobbies, you can get all the parts you need for the car.

It is kinda ridiculous that Kyosho doesn't offer a cheap diff kit for the car, instead making you buy all the diff parts seperately which in turn makes an extra diff cost about $70.:rolleyes:

With its efficient drive train and unique chassis, this could have been a really popular car. But, the introductory price of $369 along with Kyosho horrible customer support of the one-way issue pretty much doomed its chances to sell well.

Things are better now since its going for $199 at TowerHobbies and people know better how to prevent the one-way damage.

I'm going to be trying one soon as my second electric car, just to see what its like.

Macky 01-21-2003 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Darkseid
ernestf: where did you get that conversion kit from? I haven't seen it anywhere.
You can get the conversion kit from the Control Centre.

Darkseid 01-21-2003 12:17 PM

Macky: Control Centre is a website right? I heard people mention it before. Whats the actual website address?

Thanx