Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion

basically this..

Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mason
basically this..

Somewhat! you could run an LMP body easliy on that. Hell associated tested the origional TC3 in 2wd mode and discovered it to be 2 tenths of the pace of a 4wd TC3. with todays tires and suspension technology I dont see why a car built and designed as 2wd shouldnt work as good!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mason

That's pretty much what he described.....

Without changing a single thing a Minimum gear rule would be a way to stop frying motors and controllers.....

Face it, TC's are heavy and have much more drag than any other car....
Old 07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Rookie

2wd TC racing, that would solve a hell of a lot of the problems.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

where theres a need theres a market. I can't see any cell manufacturer ignoring that,surely?

But yes,the demand has to be enough to make a good profit,and I suspect thats where the problem lies,us r/c racers are probably a small fish in a big ocean methinks.

So if we have 3000s in force for example then GP,Panasonic and Sanyo could all fight for it. I still have a set of Panasonic smh3000s... Must admit they feel very "flat" on punch over the other 2 of similar capacity,but I think they always have been.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
So if we have 3000s in force for example then GP,Panasonic and Sanyo could all fight for it. I still have a set of Panasonic smh3000s... Must admit they feel very "flat" on punch over the other 2 of similar capacity,but I think they always have been.
As stated earlier you cannot tech batts for a big race without using a whole day and 100 matchers . I remeber when a local batt matcher got a run of 3300's that looked to be 3600's with the old wrap. The easiest way to reduce heat and keep tech from becoming a nightmare is reducings cells.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

True,but thinking about it,surely the latest 4300s in a 5 cell config are still going to cause problems? Surely -1 cell won't cure all problems.... Will it? Capacity and voltage will still keep rising,problems will continue to exist? Motors will keep demanding big power until they pop. Maybe i'm not looking at the full story. Probably not!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Most heat is caused from braking the cars with full speed to 20mph corner speed with solid front axles.
The braking energy is going 100% into heat of the motor and speedo and it doesn't matter if it is brushed or brushless.
Foam tyres give more grip and are more lightweight, so it would help.
Lower number of cells and at the same time a more lightweight car will reduce the need of brake and the power is lower, so the heat is lower.
A mechanical brake would help.
The only other way is cooling with heatsinks and fans and holes in bodys and stronger magnets, which can handle a higher temperature.
But the cheapest solution is reducing the number of cells or using foam tyres and changing to more reliable sintered magnets.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

I wonder why nobody in 1/10 scale sedan gas uses rubber tires??
Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

On the subject of foam tires, how long do they last?

Or should I say, how long do they keep full grip?

I have never tried them before, but I'm starting to get curious.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

They keep full grip till they are too small to be usable....

You just need to true them and adjust your gearing for the reduced diameter. Most of us lob a good 4mm off them to start anyway....

Back to what I said... A gear rule could be done without any changes!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MBreve
On the subject of foam tires, how long do they last?

Or should I say, how long do they keep full grip?

I have never tried them before, but I'm starting to get curious.
They last as long as you want them to. Obviously, the smaller you make them, the more often they need to be changed. In 1/12 at the Worlds, the guys I was with (and myself) would true them so that they would be used one run.

I have never raced touring with foam but I imagine the same holds true but I can't be certain.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tonyv
Complete bollocks. If those regulations in F1 had not changed how fast do you think they would be going now? Let's put turbo's on the current engines and make them 3.5 litres again. Then add ground effects to give much, much more aerodynamic grip and see what happens. Oh, and then make sure someone builds a tyre that will last more than a couple of laps or we get Indianapolis 2005 all over again.

The fact that speeds have increased DESPITE rules to keep speeds under control to my mind only proof that if the ruling bodies are slow to react technical innovation will outpace their efforts.
This was my point. Every time we try to regulate speed, it gets overcome by innovation to recover that speed. My illustration was with WRC since that's the field of racing I follow (far more than F1). In any case, while I did not state it well, you did.

I think Josh probably did the best summary of the overall points. . .hats off Mr. Cyrul.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedxl
Battery capacity! Freeze it at say 4200mah for a period 4yrs as an example!
It would make it less an issue and slow the battery wars for us. Make it a standerd. Going down on mah is a backward step. Using smaller dimension batteries ex. AA, AAA's wont help they cant handle the draw of a mod motor in a heavy sedan .

Some of you guys just do not understand. The companies like IB and GP do not make these cells JUST FOR RC!! There is NO way you can put a freeze on them for anything longer than 1-1.5 years!! They just do not make cells that long....they come out with new improved replacements. The 3800 is just barely a year old and there is talk that it will not be made much longer....IB would rather sell the more expensive 4200's!!

The US and the UK are about the only places that have battery freezes for 1 year and more complaints come from these two countries about batteries than all the other countries without battery rules combined!!

I raced oval when it went from 6 cell to 4 cell. At first 4 cell helped oval racing and then it killed it for about 2-3 years (what there was to kill!!). Guys said it was too slow, they guys who ran offroad or onroad now had to have two sets of batteries and some were just plain hardheaded. Now oval racing is making a SMALL comeback. The reason? Not real sure but a lot more better batteries probably has something to do with it. Guys know they can get equal cells to "Team" drivers and feel they can compete better but in the end everything all comes down to Chassis setup and driving!!

I read threads like this and think that sometimes they do more harm than good. Its kinda like the News people talking about gas prices going up...as soon as they start talking about it then it shoots up!! If they dont talk about it for a few weeks it goes back down.

EA
Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

EA - you're right (meant to mention this) - anyone notice the MAH rating on cordless tools now? Right behind what RC is using. . . Crack them open and (quite often, I know it was this way with my Makita tools) you'll find sub-c's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.