Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Must Have/Nice to Have Equipment for a Newbie? >

Must Have/Nice to Have Equipment for a Newbie?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Must Have/Nice to Have Equipment for a Newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Must Have/Nice to Have Equipment for a Newbie?

So far my RC equipment list is comprised of an 80w and 60w soldering iron, Set of decent hex and nut drivers, Dean's battery jig and assorted other tools that just about every other man has.

I'm about to buy a pit stand and was wondering if there is anything else I should pick up. First and formost is should I buy a setup station? Any other stuff that's a must have or nice to have for at the track and at home?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Set-up station is only a must if you are horrendous at setting toe, otherwise a good pit board, ride height guage, and camber protractor will do the trick. I love my set-up station (Integy). It gives me a leveled pitboard, and all the fancy tools that I use a couple of times a month along with a nice carry case to keep them all in. I also keep a good tweak station nearby, or a couple of quarters for 1/12th.

Other nice to have tools are motor tools like the Big Jim brush hood alignment tool, fiddle stick, brush cutter/drill jig, and possibly the fussybrush tools. Comm lathe, tire lathe (foam) and a good set of organizer containers.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I might suggest you not buying a stand, as you can use anything to lift the car off your pit board. P-Dub makes a great foam car stand

I would suggest getting a pit board that will not warp and a tweak station. The MIP is cheap and works great. Going for the higher end, you can get the speedmind one with the bubble on the end of the station. Tweak is very important to the handling of your car.

A set up station is nice but you can wait. Integy makes a nice one. PMP makes a plastic one that works well too....

Good Luck. I would also suggest as a final piece to your pit box, a copy of the XXX Main Set Up Book
Old 07-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

Default Must have's for a newbie

Car - any age / condition providing spare parts are still available
Cells - get more average sets rather than fewer good sets (you can buy 3 club packs for the price of 1 worlds pack)
Motor - stock 27T for starters
Radio - anything comfortable
Willingness to perservere and accept you will not win the A main on day 1...

Forget lathes / setup stations / tweek boards - use the money to buy practice time - many tracks are available outside of race meetings for free or a nominal fee - spend your time their practicing...
Old 07-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

A setup system is no way a "must-have" - in fact I would argue against using one, because by setting the car up with wheels on you get more practical measurements of ride height and camber.

The best thing about them is the flat setup board itself - a piece of offcut acrylic should be a suitable replacement (I am using a bit of offcut MDF board although it is not perfect as it deforms when exposed to liquids). Combine the flat setup board with a decent quality camber gauge (RPM), ride height/droop gauge and droop blocks and you are all set. I set front toe by eyeball but you may like to try an RPM toe gauge.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

make sure you get some quality solder if you havn't got some already - it can make the difference between a good result and a possible good result go bad.

Spare battery connectors,wire,etc. some of the "just in case stuff" isn't bad to have if its not too expensive.

Cleaning sticks and spray for the motor-cost very little but help the motor on its way too
Old 07-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It looks like the guy is already on the high end of stuff from reading his tagline. Pro4, Novak brushless, spectrum, etc.

If you can afford all that why not get a setup station? Other things I can think of that you might want is a fancy pit bag so you can carry everything at once, a compact pit light (ott light style), maybe a floor fan to cool off with.

If you have even more money bring hot chicks to fan you, purchase an experienced pit man, and throw gold coins to the other racers.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Track Time!
Old 07-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

All you realy need is a method you are comfortable w/ setting up your car. If you run foam then a tire lathe would be beneficial. It apears as though you run bl from your tag so motor gear shouldn't be a problem. As long as you have a good battery treatment system going on then it looks like you are pretty set. A good balancer such as the new trinity one will help to increase the life span of your packs. A portable fan is always nice to have around also. As far as a pit bag is concerned I would personaly just go browse around wal-mart and see if you can find some sort of big plastic organizer that catches your eye.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You may already have these, but spare parts for your car are a must. Always good to have the items that break on a regular basis in your box - arms, hubs, caster blocks, hinge pins, shock towers, etc.

Practice is key. Don't go blow $ on stuff to bench race with. The best equipment in the world will not make you faster, only practice will. Once you can make it around the track, start looking at some of the other items for racing / bench racing.

You will also find that most racers are more than willing to let you borrow a item while at the track.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

You DON'T NEED a Tweak board.... You'll put your car on it, realize it's almost impossible to achieve full balance and then blame all your promlems on it.... I only use mine for my pan cars....