Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Pros and cons about motor FAN >

Pros and cons about motor FAN

Pros and cons about motor FAN

Old 07-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use the AE double fans also, with a Team Tamale dual fan mount putting both fans blowing air direct on the top can vent holes, I saw a 20 degree decrease in temps also. Just wish Team Tamale was still making fan mounts
Old 07-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

One o the earlier posts stated fans on the end bell should push air into the motor. If the motor without a fan draws air from the armature towards the endbell, then this arragment would work against the effect of the aramature. With an open endbell, drawing air from the endbell should not only create a little additional negative pressure within the can, but also pull cooler air into the comm area where the brushes are located.

Years ago, there were absorbant sleeve the were placed around the cans and soaked with liquids. Water, would have a high capacity for absorbing heat, but due to the high boiling point and the heat required to evaporate the water, it usually did not work well. Alcohol evaporated much easier, evaporative cooling, but sometimes did not last the entire race.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah im confused. should we be putting the fans so they blow air into the motor? or pull air out??

also... would a fan be totally useless if trying to cool a brushless motor? since its like sealed...
Old 07-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

A general note on thermoelectric coolers, AKA Peltier coolers/devices, are effective when used to PRE-COOL an electric motor...much different than on-board cooling. A lot of racers use both a Peltier for pre-cooling and then a fan (or two or even three) for on-board cooling.

I recommend the Crazy RC model...it features a much thicker copper base and copper clamp (which results in more effective cold transfer) than any other one commercially available.

http://www.crazyrcracing.com/1.html

sl4ppinb4ss3r- I have a fan bracket fabricated on my chassis to allow one fan to draw air into the endbell, and a second fan to draw air away from the endbell. (I personally think it is more effective to draw air AWAY from the endbell....)For a brushless application, it is useful to run cooling fans on the ESC, to prevent any thermal shutdown.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
.... but it only bring down the temp of the motor to a very minimal about couple of degrees lower and thats basically nothing.
With the newer cars being lighter in weight, most people have to add lead to make the car legal. Why not add something that may prove to be useful instead of taping a hunk of metal to the car? How many people buy titanium screw kits to save a couple of grams or run ceramic bearings because they think they spin better? I used to run the AE dual fans and the temp drop was close to 20 degrees. It took me about 4 runs to destroy the blades and I haven't run them since. But they did work. I won't say that my lap times dropped alot or that I picked up an extra lap, but the motor was cooler.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I did run my cooling fun last night and point it toward the endbell of my CP 19T, I felt the motor run strong finish first on 3 heats and TQ'd in the 19T expert class at my local club but unfortunately had a broken spool on the MAIN had to retire my car. I guesse cooling fan helped cool down the brushes a little bit
Old 07-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Guo Chean
nowaday you guy can used a small lipo cell to power your 1 or 4 fan in one short no matter how many fan you put it also wont suck so you battery power. you fan will be more high speed becasue lipo have higher voltage
Can anybody tell me where to get screws long enough to go through the fan and then into the endbell? Are they 2.5mm or 2.6mm?
Attached Thumbnails Pros and cons about motor FAN-lipotip.jpg  
Old 07-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

I use two watch batteries the my fan?? it works great to push air in. I get about 20 good races with the batteries. Just a simple neg to neg and pos to pos conection via a small mini plug. I un hook it in between heats and turn on my two fans below on my stand to keep things cool. I have also seen recently in ohter countries where they run a plastic tube that is made for transporting thin breakable long items? They use a heat gun and bend it to the end bell and attach it via zip or shoe goo. It looks pretty effective but I chose the easy way....

Team Academy / MRC / Team1rc.com / Tekin
B'
Old 07-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fatbear
Can anybody tell me where to get screws long enough to go through the fan and then into the endbell? Are they 2.5mm or 2.6mm?
I made one similar for my checkpoint.
I used the Pro4 aluminum bumper standoff from Tobee.
(2) 3mm x 10mm grubscrew.
and 25mm fan.
you'll have to drill and tap the existing mounting holes for 3mm.
insert the grubscew with blue locktite then install and tighten with the
tobee standoffs.. after that install the fan.
very easy to do.